03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

20 inchers on a 05 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like my farmer buddies say, "Go ahead, that theres a Yoter boy, it won't break. What're ya chicken?"

Doug M.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

There's a Tacoma Prerunner here in Bullhead sitting on 20's, but I think he has racing slicks on it or something. You have to look twice to see the tire. I think it looks extremely strange and dumb, IMO.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Banned

Got a picture, CJ? Perhaps it'll help get the ugly point across!
Old 04-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Naw, I wish. Then I could put "friends don't let friends do this to their trucks..."
Old 04-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Banned

good idea!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:12 AM

The 05 comes with 17's and you guys have pretty much convinced me to stay with those (with good reason). Gotta be able to take it off-road!

ETA: Man! been reading some of 4runnabilly's posts and pics. Very cool stuff he's been doing, especially the lift. Seems fairly easy and inexpensive to do a 2.5 - 3" lift and add some taller tires. Now I'm thinking of going that way.

Last edited by 00328; 04-25-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Old 04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Old 04-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 00328
The 05 comes with 17's and you guys have pretty much convinced me to stay with those (with good reason). Gotta be able to take it off-road!

ETA: Man! been reading some of 4runnabilly's posts and pics. Very cool stuff he's been doing, especially the lift. Seems fairly easy and inexpensive to do a 2.5 - 3" lift and add some taller tires. Now I'm thinking of going that way.
if you don't have xreas then i would recommend this:

budget - spacers:
cornfed
daystar
revtek

ecomony - coils:
OME

bling and expensive but cool - coilovers:
Donahoe Racing
Sway A Way
Downey Offroad

O and if you have a sr5 then I would say get some 16" wheels cuz you can fit em and get bigger tires (more sidewall). I would only get 17's if you have the sport/limited due to the larger brakes (physical limitation). Smaller wheel = cheaper wheels and tires!!!

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Banned

Oh really? Have you not also gone ahead and done research on the rest of his company? Why don't you do a search for Nitrous Enterprises, or go to www.buyerbeware.ws ...
Old 04-26-2005, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by r0cky
Oh really? Have you not also gone ahead and done research on the rest of his company? Why don't you do a search for Nitrous Enterprises, or go to www.buyerbeware.ws ...
Thanks for the link, I definitely need to do some more research before I decide.
BTW I do have the LTD with 17's and xreas so I know that kind of limits what I can do.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
if you don't have xreas then i would recommend this:

budget - spacers:
cornfed
daystar
revtek

ecomony - coils:
OME

bling and expensive but cool - coilovers:
Donahoe Racing
Sway A Way
Downey Offroad

O and if you have a sr5 then I would say get some 16" wheels cuz you can fit em and get bigger tires (more sidewall). I would only get 17's if you have the sport/limited due to the larger brakes (physical limitation). Smaller wheel = cheaper wheels and tires!!!

Good luck!
All you have to do now is pick what setup. THe OME stuff for the 4th gen looks promising. I love it on my 3rd
Old 04-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the link, I definitely need to do some more research before I decide.
BTW I do have the LTD with 17's and xreas so I know that kind of limits what I can do.
Since you have the Limited with the larger brakes, you'll stuck w/ 17" wheels. You'll have to locate 17" aftermarket wheels that you want and then pick the appropriate 17" tires to go with it. This has been covered many times so do a quick search on what size you can go up to w/o rubbing etc etc.

As for the lift kit, if you want to retain you xreas, the only available option are the spacer technologies. Take a look at all three vendors that I have supplied and pick one that you like the best. If you are mechanically skilled, try installing it yourself or ask one of us for assistance. If there are fellow members in the local area, they'll be more than willing to give you a hand.

GOod luck
Old 04-26-2005, 09:42 AM

See, now this sounds like a troll...
Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 AM

Appreciate all the help and advise, was thinking I may just keep the stock wheels. Need to spend some time and do some searching to get some more smarts.
I love the way this truck feels and handles and would hate to muck it up, I thought I read where the spacers tend to really stiffen up the ride. Hmmm,
what to do, what to do.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

well your stuck w/ spacers since you have xreas. unless you want to remove an expensive piece of machinery you really limit your options right off the bat.

good luck
Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 PM

yeah Lance is right. That's just the bottom line, you have to use spacers. The ride isn't stiff, you can ask many owners what their opinion of it is.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

Do a search for "4th gen lift*" and see how many times people have stated that no, the spacers do not make the ride stiff. If you decide to get a lift (since you are stuck with spacer technology), you need to be sure to go with a WELL-ESTABLISHED, REPUTABLE COMPANY such as Daystar, Revtek, or Cornfed. As someone who says they don't know much about all this stuff, why would you even want to risk going with a company that has ANY complaints about their parts, service, warranty, and ETHICS?

And FT, I agree with you ... troll sounds like someone I know, and funny how he came away with the idea that NE's spacer lifts looked interesting when at the same time he seems to know nothing about the lift kits available, and none of the links I posted went into much detail about AK's spacer lifts - just the tires/wheels he was running.

Oh well. Who knows.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
See, now this sounds like a troll...
Why is someone considered a troll when they throw props toward someone with a rig that obviously put a lot of time, effort and $ into it and IMO looks great? I don't understand. But....whatever.

When I started this thread, I was kicking around the idea of of installing 20"s and asked for ideas and opinions. I was told by many here that it would be impractical, especially for off-road. I'm glad I asked for opinions, it helped me see the light. Appreciate it.

I found this site about a week ago, amazed by the amount of info., pics and mods available, over-whelmed you might say. I have bearly scratched the surface, as far as info. goes. I wanna do this and this and this and that.
But, first things first. I definitely plan a lift and an exhaust. This is all new to me and I have questions, lots of questions. I'm just trying to figure out what will work best for me and it really helps seeing and hearing what others have done and their experiences, and this is what this forum is all about, right?

Anyway, this site rocks and I look forward to learning a great deal.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

If you look into that individual, you will learn of what he has done for this community and will be able to forumate your own opinions. Looking good but not functioning properly are two different things in life. There's the "ghetto" way of doing things and there are the "proper" way of doing things. Some people take short cuts and others don't. You get the picture.

Search away my friend. Learn from the older threads here on everything you wish to do to your 4runner as it's been done. You'll find customer comments and reviews of their 4runner with the mods they have and you'll be surprised how much is out there at your finger tips. Take your time and just read as much as you can and try to find everything here as well as other forums available. The information is out there. You just have to search for it (sometimes it sux) but the reward for finding it is priceless.

Good luck in your adventures and if you have any other questions, feel free to post away. Remember you can always "Private Message" other members for a 1 to 1 feedback on anything as well.

If I haven't welcomed you to Yotatech, welcome aboard and I sincerely hope you have deep pockets as I'm sure you'll learn quickly that it'll burn a new hole in your back pocket

Quick Reply: 20 inchers on a 05 4runner?