03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

03' problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 03' problems

well I have 12000 miles on a 03'Sport and here is the list of problems:

1. Sunroof just broke. Stuck in the open position.
2. Sunroof rattles when closed.
3. Roof rack parts broken.
4. Armrest between seats is coming apart.
5. Big thump when I sharp turn right.
6. Sometimes when I step on it. Engine just farts. No Power.

Anyone else have these problems?
Old 07-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

nope......

How can the sunroof rattle in the closed position when it is stuck open?
Old 07-13-2003, 09:40 PM

'03 Problems

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Ours (10/03 build date) now has 13,500 miles on it.

No sunroof problems at all (crossing my fingers). No thumps. No engine farts. Aside from seat creaks, just a nice, quiet, comfortable, fast SUV. Wouldn't trade it for anything I've yet seen.

Good luck getting your problems resolved!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

i too have just over 12k miles here...

1. still stuck? if so, take it into the stealer to have it checked out.
2. rattling sunroof suggests sand in the rails
3. what part is exactly broken? the entire rack can be removed. so it might have gotten loosened.
4. dunno here as i only have the sr5
5. thump? check all nuts/bolts in your front suspension. Check a close eye on the upper a-arm cross member bolt assembly. then check the swaybar and then the lower a-arm assembly. is your alignment off? need more info here to help ya out...
6. dirty air filter? bad batch of gas? is this constant or every once in a while? keep in mind this isn't a race car so there will be some delayed reaction on acceleration.

personally i haven't had any of the problems except for my sunroof. after offroadin alot i get alot of dust in the rails causing the roof to have issues when it closes. i just clean out the rails and relub it and it works fine. as for the engine farting, check oil and air filter. it could just be gas but if it's happening always give us some more info on # of times it happens.

for all problems, give us some idea on # of times it happens and how often. that way it gives us a better indication. also note condition of the drive n stuff...

i'd say since u still have 12k miles, i'd just take it into the dealer and have them deal with it. THey're good at fixing it so no worries

good luck

lance
Old 07-14-2003, 06:50 AM

8600 and no problems here. I think you maybe want to get it to the dealership.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

2600 miles, not ONE problem, NONE, runs great and is tight as a drum.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:23 AM

I had my tires rebalanced 2 times before vibration in the steering wheel went away, I think those Bridgestone tires are not that good. V6 makes a valve like tapping-rattling noise that dealership does not seem to notice. Besides that I like the car and the way it is put together for under $30K.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

I have to agree with Sac State, no problems so far, although I have only had it a few weeks, but I have beaten the hell out of it. In that short of time I have put over 2500 miles on it and about 25% of that has been off of paved roads. Mind you, no rock climbing or anything but a bunch of different terrains and it has performed flawlessly in every one of them. My main problem with it is ground clearance but thats it!
Old 07-14-2003, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the engine farting is from the 12000 miles on the original oil it is starting to get thick
Old 07-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

The only problem I had was with the one-touch sunroof tilt/slide switch that didn't. Then, after about 1K miles, it "fixed itself" and became a one-touch switch as advertised. Oh yeah, the HVAC acted up during that time when running in dual-zone mode, but had been fine ever since.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Mish
I had my tires rebalanced 2 times before vibration in the steering wheel went away, I think those Bridgestone tires are not that good. V6 makes a valve like tapping-rattling noise that dealership does not seem to notice. Besides that I like the car and the way it is put together for under $30K.
I had the same problem after I took mine on a dirt road at 2K miles. Took the dealer a while to diagnose because his machine calibration was off.

Besides that, when it is really hot outside, I can hear rattling in the dash and if I push on it, it goes away (for awhile).
Old 07-14-2003, 07:55 PM

This thread has the TSB information for the headliner rattles: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=14010

The only real annoying problems I've had (3,000 miles) are:

1. The infamous rear seat squeak (no TSB that I can find and the dealership only tightened the rear seat skid plates, which lasted about 5 miles); and,

2. Now the dash is making noise just in front of the steering wheel when it's hot outside. Sounds like the dash plastic is rubbing a bit and causing a popping noise.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:12 PM

I have 25,000 miles on my 03 Runner and the only problem was the rattle in the sunroof/moonroof or what ever you want to call it. The dealer replaced the entire track assembly and everything is fine.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:17 PM

Sorry to hear everyone's misfortunes. 2000 miles here and not a single mishap. Good luck in the fixing process. Everything should be covered under the warranty...

Billy
Old 07-14-2003, 08:35 PM

I have a 03 v8 sport edition with about 3700miles, and I can feel a bump in my seat when my truck is just about to come to a complete stop, as if there is a loose item inside the seat. At first, I thought there was an empty iced tea glass bottle rolling around underneat my seat, but nothing was there. I does it fairly often, but I still can't reproduct the bump at my will 100% of the time. I think its either something in the seat or maybe the X-reas suspension is causing it. If you think your 4runner is perfect, you might not want to read what I have to say next:

my steering wheel is slightly off center to the right, if I try to hold the steering wheel dead center, the truck will start to drift to the left. I had a 97 4runner that did the same thing, even the field tech's 4runner did that too. I just gave up and learn to live with this imprefection. I am pretty sure it's an inherited problem from the way they design the 4runner's suspension.

other than this little annoyance, oh and the shimmy around 65-70mph, I really love my truck. Think I will give my dealer a call tomorrow.

rich
Old 07-14-2003, 08:51 PM

Re: 03' problems

Originally posted by john diego
well I have 12000 miles on a 03'Sport and here is the list of problems:

1. Sunroof just broke. Stuck in the open position.
2. Sunroof rattles when closed.
3. Roof rack parts broken.
4. Armrest between seats is coming apart.
5. Big thump when I sharp turn right.
6. Sometimes when I step on it. Engine just farts. No Power.

Anyone else have these problems?
1. Happened to me once during very hot day. I pressed firmly on the sunroof switch and held it for few seconds - it closed. Never happened again (knock on wood) .

2. Same here. It used to drive me crazy I don't like rattles, but after thinking about what the monkeys at the dealership will have to do to my rig to get it changed/fixed I said to my self - I better rev-up my stereo and forget about it! Maybe a year down the line when they have mastered the process I'll have them fix it.

I also had a problem with front body support bushing rubbing against metal bracket making really weird annoying noise while driving on bumpy roads at slow speeds. Took it to the dealer two times. First time they fixed it by resecuring the mount - worked for 2 weeks then came back, second time when I got to them it went away by it self . After that I took my rig for an off-road trip and haven't had that problem since (knock on wood again) .

That's about it ... Oh one more thing - driver seat squeaks .
Old 07-15-2003, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by richardyc
I can feel a bump in my seat when my truck is just about to come to a complete stop, as if there is a loose item inside the seat.
Mine had that, and I figured out that I didn't have the seat properly adjusted -- it was as if one side was locked into the track and the other was just a biit loose. I reset the seat and haven't had a problem since.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:21 AM

I now have 6300 miles on mine. I love this truck! I have had a few things fixed...Here's the list.

1. Front dash rattle as people spoke about here. The dealer fiber taped the cowl. It was rubbing againts my windown and would rattle over the bumps. It sounded like the dash rattling. This fixed the problem

2. My rear hatch/window rattles when hitting bumps. Still 2 complaints and still no fix.

3. Moonroof rattle when tilted up. Only rattled over bumpy roads. Dealer greased track and cleaned rubber moonroof seal. This was the rattle/squeak I heard. It took car of the problem.

4. I had white spots on the roof. It was moisture under the clearcoat. Whole batch of 4 Runners showed up like this in New England. Dealer used denatured Alcohol and heat gun to remove. This is documented in case the problem devolops later.

Things getting fixed this friday

1. Brake pulsation at high speeds.

2. Wheel vibration from the Dunflops at 60-70 mph.

3. Rubber window trim from the front window extends to the roof rack. On the roof before the rack, the rubber trim is lifting off the roof. Looks like the factory taped it down with the 3M taped, which hasn't held up.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:47 AM

No problems with 5500 miles, only thing so far was the creaky seats and my moonroof did not work properly but it seems to have fixed itself.

Only thing I noticed is the passenger front door has a vibration in it when the radio is on, if I press/hold the cladding on the door it goes away so I will have that fixed when I have the rear air suspension recall done.

Oh yeah and I hate washing it:pat:
Old 07-15-2003, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Well, now I'm a bit worried after reading this thread...

200 miles and no problems

But now that I know what to expect :pat:

It's okay, my stealer will see me everyday if I'm not happy!

Quick Reply: 03' problems