86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will any year Supra LSD swap into a 92?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robert m
what are you doing for power upgrades? i cant see the stock 22re spinning 2 tires at the same time. mine wont even spin one and its got only 20k on it.
The motor was just rebuilt, Engnbldr head with O/S valves, 6K springs, stage 1 porting from local shop, 261C cam, and all brand new pistons and rings of course. The rotating assembly was fully balanced. I was stupid enough and left the cast pistons in, should of replaced the kit with a set of forged. ARP head studs, and the motor is going to be boosted around 15psi running a CT26. Motor is naturally aspirated during break in, but now has about 1200 miles on it, and I'm ready to start the turbo set up. Still debating what ECU I want to run. I ran megasquirt on my 88' for a few months, but sold it because it was such a pain in the ass to get dialed in, and that was before it even saw boost! I'm thinking either the LCE piggy back set up, or have my local company program a piggy back chip. I deal alot with them, they build our chips that we run in our VR6-T GTI's, but I don't know the capability of these 22RE ECU's, and what they can handle piggy back wise. I ordered two bucket seats and it's getting caged shortly. It's lowered 4 inches, no bed on the back, and during the smog test it weighed in at 2306lbs. It's a 5 speed, and if I can't just spin tires naturally, I just give it a little dump of the clutch and in most cases it comes out. This truck is my project truck, it's my daily driver, and it's also my learning experience for most things!

Last edited by Erik Beeman; 08-27-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
sounds like you have the power covered, but whjy the 261 cam? why not the HO?
have you though about 4 linking it to get rid of the leaf springs? those are going to cause you a good amount of axle wrap especially if you are running blocks to lower it. also personally, i would find a good used bed, cut it up and run just the bed sides so you dont attract attention from the cops. you would still be able to run your stock tail lights too.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:47 PM

I talked to Ted and told him everything that I plan to do with the motor, told him what I use it for, and how I drive with the thing on the revv limiter all day long. I told him how this thing will be seeing alot of time at 6250RPM (I believe that's the factory limit), and the 261 cam is what he suggested for me. Of course, I listened to him and went ahead with the 261.

I have no clue what 4 link-ing is, but I do know that I DO get alot of axle wrap. As for the bed, I'm building a flatbed for it, and it's in the in-between stage right now. I don't plan on leaving it bedless. As far as cops, I don't get any crap from them, and I drive past cops all the time. I've been pulled over 2 or 3 times for other things, and they don't even mentioned a thing about the bed.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why doncha put a bed back on so you have some weight over the rear wheels, or is that the point?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 PM

When I bought the truck, the bed was smashed and dented and dinged and was practically toast. I took it off and sold it, it was just too ugly. I had plans to build a flat bed truck for a while now, and this is my project. I think back now that I should have kept it and cut it at the crease and just build a flat bed and use the skirts still, but it's too late. Now, I can't even find a decent bed that isn't too expensive.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
google 4 link suspension and start reading. it will help you out a lot by putting the power to the ground and not loosing it through the spring wrap movement.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Thank you for the info, Robert. I will check it out, read and learn, and maybe fabricate something up within the next few weeks!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they make alot of kits that are weld on from mini truckin mags, fbi customs makes some nice inexpensive ones. and a flat bed on a drift truck? it would be a first. just get some fiberglass bedsides.
link to a 4 link kit
http://www.fbirides.com/product.asp?idno=8136

Last edited by 85excab; 08-27-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik Beeman
Not trying to sound like a dick, but whats your point? This is my daily driver, and is also my fun truck. Do I need to have a daily driver, and then another truck as a play toy? Sorry, but I don't understand where you're coming from.

Once again, no disrespect intended there.
The point, my very young friend, is that you will destroy your only daily driver.

For those of us who have morgage payments, ensuring a reliable mode of transportation is critcal to keeping the bills paid, a roof over ones head, and food on the table. When my 4runner is down or I'm wrenching on it, the GTO NEVER gets raced. Only after the 4runner is up and running does the GTO get raced.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 08-28-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
IIRC, drifting is a much easier way to seize an engine.
Since our engines arent really made for drifting, it'd be foolish to drift.
Go ahead and drift, enjoy rebuilding your engine because it seized up.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 PM

Way to turn a thread into a bash zone, huh?! Geesh!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
IIRC, drifting is a much easier way to seize an engine.
Since our engines arent really made for drifting, it'd be foolish to drift.
Go ahead and drift, enjoy rebuilding your engine because it seized up.
Actually you can seize a engine in drifting if you don't have a baffle in your oil pan, this is when you are sideways all the oil in the pan swishes to one side, and you spin high RPMs and you starve the motor of oil.

This being said, you must be doing a decent amount of speed in a drift to get all the oil on the side of the pan due to force, or gravity, or whatever you want to call it. You can't sit here and bash me because the things I like to do in my truck. Hell, I'm sure there are plenty of Toyota guys on this site that get the engine to some nasty angles while wheelin' or rock crawling, and that sure as hell sends the oil all over the place more than my "drifting" does.

I didn't start this thread to argue. I'm not that type of guy. If you don't like how I drive my truck, or don't agree with what I do with it, don't post! It's simple, is it not? C'mon dudes, do you go bustin' balls on all the guys that roll their trucks? Well you know, Toyota didn't build this truck to take on 5 foot rocks at incredible angles, right? But people still do it, because it's a hobby!

Calm down!

Last edited by Erik Beeman; 08-28-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
The point, my very young friend, is that you will destroy your only daily driver.

For those of us who have morgage payments, ensuring a reliable mode of transportation is critcal to keeping the bills paid, a roof over ones head, and food on the table. When my 4runner is down or I'm wrenching on it, the GTO NEVER gets raced. Only after the 4runner is up and running does the GTO get raced.

Ok, thanks for getting your point across, I understand now what you're saying. Still, on that note, I'm not worried about it! I like to have fun and do things that make me smile. I'm not a drinker, I'm not a smoker, and I'm not a partier..I get my fun out of driving my truck and trying new things in it! Hell, the motor that is in it now has a little over 1000 miles on it..why? Because I blew it before driving hard in the backroads! What did I do? I tore into it and fixed what I broke! Now that I see what you're getting at, I totally agree with you..but I'm the type that will fix something when it breaks, whether it broke from me being stupid, or from normal wear and tear. It breaks, I fix it. And if anything comes to the worse, I flip it or crash it, or blow it up again, I'll go back to driving my 88'! My father has his Jeep, mom has her car, and brother has his truck, I've got two of my own that are my toys, I'm not really worried about it!

Once again, no disrespect in any of my posts! Just two different views on the same subject, right?!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:46 PM

"Toyota didn't build this truck to take on 5 foot rocks at incredible angles, right?"
On the contrary...
Anyways, i'm just sayin that it's dumb to beat up an old truck like this....
I don't tear into my camaro and drift around corners or anything like that.. It just isnt good for the car...
Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
"Toyota didn't build this truck to take on 5 foot rocks at incredible angles, right?"
On the contrary...
Anyways, i'm just sayin that it's dumb to beat up an old truck like this....
I don't tear into my camaro and drift around corners or anything like that.. It just isnt good for the car...
You're right...Toyota didn't build this truck to be a drift truck. And I know this. But it's what I got, and it's my toy, literally, Ha Ha. But look and Tanner Foust, this past weekend I was at a local track and he was drifting a Hyundai Tiberon...what the hell, you and I both know those aren't "supposed" to be drift cars...but they do it anyways, right?! But on a serious note, the truck is a 92', it is getting old, but everything on it is brand spankin' new! I really don't know what will go out next, I suppose the rear end? But either way, I'm looking to replace it. And hey, if it breaks, I'll...........oh hell, you know what I'll do!

Last edited by Erik Beeman; 08-28-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:56 PM

i was just thinkin, what if someone modded one of those 2wd trucks to be IRS?
the ride would be amazing...
Old 08-28-2009, 11:02 PM

I don't know, but that would be sweet!

I think I have the best bet of just buying a LSD for a few hundred bucks like these guys were talking about. I think it would be really hard for me to find that specific year Supra, on top of that, finding that year that came equipped with the LSD.

Side track, heres the truck today, with one of my other toys in the "bed"

Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn Eric that truck right there is the perfect candidate for this L.C.E. cam I have if your 261 don't work out for ya this cam loves 3k plus atleast with my 35's it did.

Last edited by olharleyman; 08-28-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
Damn Eric that truck right there is the perfect candidate for this L.C.E. cam I have if your 261 don't work out for ya this cam loves 3k plus atleast with my 35's it did.

You're just dead set on selling that cam, aren't you??
Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik Beeman
You're just dead set on selling that cam, aren't you??
Ya but no , I was thinking a truck like that would be a cool project and add this cam to it it could be a little freeway flyer/street carver if I didn't already have a hand full of project's I would be all over something like you have their but not as a drifter so much as a HONDA slayer.

Quick Reply: Will any year Supra LSD swap into a 92?