86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel fell off...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xzyragon
i just went out and used a 10 ft pipe to tighten my wheels (for leverage on lug wrench)
I'm gonna call that a bad idea. Not as bad as not tightening them, but still pretty bad. You're going to break off the studs, which is going to be a pain.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a front tire fell off on me one time in my buddies s10, he bent the rim last winter and he had me take it for a ride cuz he heard a bad thumpin noise and i get to the bottom of the hill and the tire fell off, the only thing i said was "did that just happen?!" we were in walkin distance from my house and we were only doin 15mph thank god... did some damage on the front fender and flare tho, but the cop that helped us was well worth the damage. but thats a story for another day ha ha
Old 02-25-2009, 10:36 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I saw that picture, And just lmao'd. Sorry trev...
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
you got friggin lucky you and no one else was hurt. Behind the seat is a good place to keep your lug wrench out of the hands of a thief.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
travis and trevor... your not the only ones... Molly lost her whole axle...
Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hah th eguys from XXXX autoshop here didnt tightin my lugs after swaping tires... Came around a turn @ 35-40mph when my driver rear tire decided to take off in the other direction. I got a 5''sus lift 3'' body, was scarey. I got a 6cyl axel 4.88 gears and a soft locker for $400 to replace it.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
travis and trevor... your not the only ones... Molly lost her whole axle...
knowingly though? he was driving on lugs that he tightened with his fingers. very stupid. what if that wheel had hit somebody? especially going 40 mph. put the lug wrench in the truck under the seat, and never take it out. you can't tighten lug nuts with your fingers. that is why there are such things as lug wrenches. plus going on a trip without properly tightening them is very unsafe. if you had driven to les schwab they would have done a free inspection and fixed your problem.

yeah and posting on the internet that you did something incredibly stupid would make me feel incredibly embarrassed. i wouldn't have said anything man. you not impressing anyone.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:44 AM

You guys posting about him not being smart about posting it online or whatever, isn't this a good lesson for someone? A lot of times people learn from others experience. I wouldn't be complaining about him posting it on here. A lot of people got a good laugh and he's obviously not overly embarrassed about it. If you can laugh at your own stupid mistakes then life will be a lot easier and more fun
Old 02-26-2009, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
You guys posting about him not being smart about posting it online or whatever, isn't this a good lesson for someone? A lot of times people learn from others experience. I wouldn't be complaining about him posting it on here. A lot of people got a good laugh and he's obviously not overly embarrassed about it. If you can laugh at your own stupid mistakes then life will be a lot easier and more fun
This kid does stupid crap (putting others at risk) like this all the time and posts it up looking for approval. Lessons should have been learned the first or second time, but the 4th or 5th?.. I don't think so. If it were simply his own life at risk, I could give a crap, but it isn't... and he does seem to have the presence of mind to realize this.

Last edited by Matt16; 02-26-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
You're a real moron for knowingly driving on loose lug nuts, not only that, but driving 40mph. Do you think of consequences ever? The tire or the truck could have struck someone. I really question the wisdom of your parents for letting you still drive.

I'm not sure why you keep posting your little mishaps either, I'd be plain embarrassed myself.
you put it perfectly. You Can NOT hand tighten lug nuts and expect them to be tight for more than 10 feet. stupidest thing i've ever heard. until i heard that you decided to ignore the fact they were loose and continue on your trip.

darwin must have been taking a nap...
Old 02-26-2009, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
This kid does stupid crap (putting others at risk) like this all the time and posts it up looking for approval. Lessons should have been learned the first or second time, but the 4th or 5th?.. I don't think so. If it were simply his own life at risk, I could give a crap, but it isn't... and he does seem to have the presence of mind to realize this.
This is the 4th or 5th time his tire has fallen off? This could happen to anyone! He admitted he was stupid for driving without torqueing(sp?) them. I'm sure now he will always torque them and he'll keep a tire iron in his truck too. I think he learned his lesson. He's just telling a story that happened to him for others enjoyment. I don't think anybody needs to be sayin he's stupid for posting about it and that he's stupid for driving on hand tightened nuts and that he should be embarrassed about this. He knows he made a mistake, leave it at that. He was being careful and did what he could to keep the tire on.

I drove around for a full day around town with loose lug nuts on my rear driver side tire. I thought it was something else cause I had been having troubles with my truck. It wasn't till the end of the day I noticed my tire was loose. It was barely being held on by one nut. I don't have a jack or tire iron in my truck or at my house so I just tightened them by hand and drove to shop to get them tightened and checked for damage. I was the last one to touch the lug nuts on my truck before this happened; does that make me stupid too?

Everyone makes mistakes. A lot of times they are stupid choices that should not have been made and could have easily been avoided. And a lot of people learn the hard way. Everyone has their moments. . .
Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
deleted my post referrring to one of the OP's other threads.

Last edited by dropzone; 02-26-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: trying to be nicer
Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 AM

yep, he's stupid

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...96/index2.html

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...f-road-161581/
Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 AM

OCD - I can understand that being stupid. There's no need to be doing something like that. And he wants to continue doing it at that speed but doesn't want to continue sliding out ? My suggestion would be to slow down. I agree that's not exactly smart.

Matt - The first one. . .yeah. The second one sounds like a mistake. He learned his lesson in all accounts and knows how easily things can go wrong and has a better understanding of what to do in those conditions. We all had to learn somewhere. . .I still stand on my point where we all make stupid mistakes, some more stupid than others. That's still no excuse to call him stupid or a moron and to question his parents. I can understand if he was making the same mistake over and over again, such as what OCD posted, but I still don't see the need for name calling unless its an honest 100% joke. I admit I make stupid mistakes that most others wouldn't make. There's a reason my steering is screwed up and my nickname is "Mr. Go Fast". . .
Old 02-26-2009, 04:10 AM

One lesson here might be the type of lug nuts, which are different between aluminum rims and steel rims. Aluminum rims have a lower torque spec (typically) and often the lug nuts are tapered and fit into the wheel so that the wheel pushes back onto the lug nuts when they are tightened.

With steel wheels you have a much higher torque spec because steel is much stronger than aluminum and more resistant to deformation.

Lug nuts stay on the wheels because of the wheel pushing back at the lug nuts (the friction between the lug nut and the wheel).
Old 02-26-2009, 05:13 AM

some some ITG syndrome? feel all big cuz you can talk **** on a computer? i know id be spittin nails if someone brought my parents into a discussion that was about me. sure it was dumb, but he obviously learned a lesson. and, yeah, he does have predicaments, but who doesnt??? and do you ever see the same predicament? id say hes having all this bad luck now, he is gonna be one smart SOAB when he gets older, and gonna be lucky as well. (he screwed up so much now). so come on, lay off him.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Ok folks time to cool off... the OP's "Stupid things I have done" stories are both entertaining and educational. The fact that he has had to learn some lessons more than once is no slight against him, we've all been there and done that twice.
Let's stop slagging the kid and flaming each other or this thread will be closed.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:25 PM

This is the 4th or 5th time his tire has fallen off? This could happen to anyone! He admitted he was stupid for driving without torqueing(sp?) them. I'm sure now he will always torque them and he'll keep a tire iron in his truck too. I think he learned his lesson. He's just telling a story that happened to him for others enjoyment. I don't think anybody needs to be sayin he's stupid for posting about it and that he's stupid for driving on hand tightened nuts and that he should be embarrassed about this. He knows he made a mistake, leave it at that. He was being careful and did what he could to keep the tire on.
no.

This guy has rebuilt his engine, he should know torque his lugs or at least tighten them with something more than his hands. He also wasn't really driving safely. he knew that his lugs were getting lose and he still insisted on driving to his hunting spot and going ~40 mph. if he had lost a wheel somewhere else and not on the main road, he would have been royally screwed.

I drove around for a full day around town with loose lug nuts on my rear driver side tire. I thought it was something else cause I had been having troubles with my truck. It wasn't till the end of the day I noticed my tire was loose. It was barely being held on by one nut. I don't have a jack or tire iron in my truck or at my house so I just tightened them by hand and drove to shop to get them tightened and checked for damage. I was the last one to touch the lug nuts on my truck before this happened; does that make me stupid too?
Yeah you thought it was something else, you didn't put the wheels on and tighten it with your fingers and called it good for the day. yours worked there way lose. if you had known that they were lose, would you have just, said, " oh i can tighten those later." I hope not. you did what you had to do at the time to get to the shop.

Look, i have done some stupid things in my time, but nothing like this. I am 18, i am young and i don't know it all, but i have been around enough to know some basic things like this. I AM SORRY THAT IT HAPPENED. That really sucks. but you are really lucky that you weren't in any kind of turn, cause it could have gone worse. Just don't do something like this again. that is not only danger to you but others.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM

sorry i had written my post before and just sent it now and didn't see your post aviator.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Matt - The first one. . .yeah. The second one sounds like a mistake. He learned his lesson in all accounts and knows how easily things can go wrong and has a better understanding of what to do in those conditions. We all had to learn somewhere. . .I still stand on my point where we all make stupid mistakes, some more stupid than others. That's still no excuse to call him stupid or a moron and to question his parents. I can understand if he was making the same mistake over and over again, such as what OCD posted, but I still don't see the need for name calling unless its an honest 100% joke. I admit I make stupid mistakes that most others wouldn't make. There's a reason my steering is screwed up and my nickname is "Mr. Go Fast". . .
I agree. and i am sorry for saying that you are stupid, 91toyota. it was a learning experience i am sure. good luck in the future.

Quick Reply: Wheel fell off...