Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wanting glass to break up in glasspack...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys,

No Love on the Napa $22 Muffler?

How about, the 210hp Buick V6, R150f trans, blowin thru it?

Or is this private?

Thanks, Kiwi
Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
" I stuck a hose up my tailpipe and hydrolocked my engine..."
What you do in your own time is of no concern to me. Children read this too you know, and that's just plain inappropriate. Jesus.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Seriously though, loud mufflers on tiny engine don't sound very good IMO. No Civic, 22RE or even 3VZE is going to sound as nice as a Z28 Camaro. Furthermore, Civic or Camaro, I don't want to hear racing up my street. Its just noise pollution.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
You do that in my neighborhood I'm sorry if I accidentally ramp your truck with tippy the next day.

It all comes down to respect. Have respect for your neighbors and for nature or wherever you wheel. Noise DOES pollute.

hahaha, will i get a mollywamping to? im shure you care more about the apearence of your truck than i do, it would be a demoliton derby for shure!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Seriously though, loud mufflers on tiny engine don't sound very good IMO. No Civic, 22RE or even 3VZE is going to sound as nice as a Z28 Camaro. Furthermore, Civic or Camaro, I don't want to hear racing up my street. Its just noise pollution.
i agree. my truck would never have a fart can on it. my flowmaster sounds nothing like the lil hondas that run around my town with huge fart cans on them!

Last edited by TOYOTA 1; 04-28-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 PM

thanks to you guys...im finally out of my stage...when i get my exhaust..im gonna run a muffler for sure...maybe even a cat...(its startin to get pricey...lol)..idk where im gonna mount the muffler though...i guess no cat...just muffler..so...my setup in the near future...Flowtech Header..some kind of muffler...into dual stacks behind the cab...in either 2 1/4...or 2in tubing...
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
those are 2 of the dumbest things ive heard.
What you dont believe me, I would personally never do the "water in the tailpipe trick." But, I have a lot of redneck friends thats how I know that!!! But they do all have V8s FWIW.

But the flowmaster-spintech debate is true. (at least I think it is spintech, its the muffler that you can turn a bolt and the reflectors on the inside move), but actually have you ever seen the inside of a flowmaster, you cant honestly tell me that all of that restriction will actually flow good, yeah they sound good, but you lose power at the expense of it.

Now the muffler that you can adjust the insides actually lets you tune the amount of backpressure you need, which is good for forced induction. Honestly you wouldnt notice the difference in the seat of the pants, but the dyno sheet would prove otherwise.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
What you dont believe me, I would personally never do the "water in the tailpipe trick." But, I have a lot of redneck friends thats how I know that!!! But they do all have V8s FWIW.

But the flowmaster-spintech debate is true. (at least I think it is spintech, its the muffler that you can turn a bolt and the reflectors on the inside move), but actually have you ever seen the inside of a flowmaster, you cant honestly tell me that all of that restriction will actually flow good, yeah they sound good, but you lose power at the expense of it.

Now the muffler that you can adjust the insides actually lets you tune the amount of backpressure you need, which is good for forced induction. Honestly you wouldnt notice the difference in the seat of the pants, but the dyno sheet would prove otherwise.
i agree to a point, yes a muffler you can tune is proly better because of that reason. and how much $ is it compared to a flow? but the key word here being "flowmaster".. i need some evidence of a better muffler for me to switch brands!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 PM

Got a Flowmaster 40 Series coming off of a Pacesetter header, and mine gives a nice crackle to it on deceleration, but without the annoying loudness of a glasspack. Thought the Flowmaster made my truck sound great. The old school way my dad told me years ago to break up a glasspack, was go out and get it good and hot, the go home park vehicle slightly facing up hill, the shove a garden hose up to the muffler, and when the cold water hits it, it'll break up and come out. Have never had a Cherry bomb though, so couldn't say. I always thought they were for old 50's greaser hot rods and Ford hi boys.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:15 PM

Hey Guys,

Your silence, is very "telling".

I've obviously been "Blackballed"

Thanks, Kiwi
Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kiwipushrod
Hey Guys,

No Love on the Napa $22 Muffler?

How about, the 210hp Buick V6, R150f trans, blowin thru it?

Or is this private?

Thanks, Kiwi

how do you like that v6?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:28 PM

Hey,

It blows the "lil Hondas with fart cans" away, daily. Thats My problem.

Thanks, Kiwi
Old 04-28-2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kiwipushrod
Hey,

It blows the "lil Hondas with fart cans" away, daily. Thats My problem.

Thanks, Kiwi
how is that a problem?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by WCorbett
holy crap someone answer his damn question. K, I will.
Take it off if you can, pour gas in there and roll it around soaking the glass, light match, drop match in pipe. No this is not a joke that is the way.
have you done this?
fiber glass requires a lot of heat to burn. I dont think gas alone will provide the necessary heat
Old 04-28-2008, 09:22 PM

to achive the popping sound, make sure your air suction system is hooked up and operating properly.

glass packs are directional. there are louvers all pointed the same way. if you run them they way they are desinged, which is so the open side of the louvers point to your engine, it will absorb more sound. if you flip it around, it will be much louder.

what is the point of removing the fiberglass packing? do you think that the pipe is actually filled with glass like window glass? just run strait pipes. I love a straight pipe sound.

I have used many brands of glass packs over the years.
thrush installed backwards gives the loudest note. but even installed backwards, the packing blows out the quickest and becomes louder.

purple hornies have a very smooth quiet sound.

cherry bomb is mild and low when installed correctly.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn, this thread is turning into a drama. general hos... wait... new name... general autoshop. or maybe yotatech 90210? i hate those ricers with the fart cans. but to the guy here talkin crap bout everyone, dude leave the drama at school. we dont need it here. say, evolta, shouldnt this be in your lounge? lol. my truck has the stock muffler, cat, and exhaust mani, but it still has a kind of rumble at idle, when your next to the pipe. within the next few weeks ill be putting on a new exhaust system, with a hi flow cat and a flowmaster 40. will prove that flowmasters are better than glasspacks.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 PM

im gonna have to say that flowmaster has a good muffler and a good quality sound but it does hold alot of back pressure on my truck so i choped mine into to 2 foot straight pipe off the headers and its raw sounding with pops with down shifting idle blah blah blah.but if you have neibors they get pissed and then po po come lmao whats a very durable glass pack? but i dont want a rice burner sound. and does any one know where to buy like a tractor flap for an exhaust system
Old 09-30-2009, 11:00 AM

i hooked up with the whole grade 10 girls cheerleading team, all at once, last week alone just because of my cherry bomb exhaust note. not.

here's what you want to do: go down to your parts store, ask "could i get an OEM replacement muffler for my 22RE, please?" and they will hand you a large box with an muffler that sounds awesome.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Too big! A glasspack installed with stock sized pipes will result in a slightly louder tone than stock. Seriously, put one on the old ladys truck with a new stock tailpipe. Sounds a little louder, and a little better
Old 09-30-2009, 05:01 PM

i run a 2 1/4 straight pipe with a thrush muffler in the middle (under rear seat) its quiet and has the poping on decelleration. i have no idea what kinda performance it produces cuz iv never driven my truck any other way.

i love my exhaust, cheap and effective

Quick Reply: wanting glass to break up in glasspack...