86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Took the top off the 4runner today

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
I dont have anything that could be stolen. Plus, I just remove the coil wire so the truck wont start. Who carries around a spare plug wire, AND could figure it out anyways lol.
You'd be surprised.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
You'd be surprised.
i agree, people will steal anything these days
Old 03-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Love the 1st gen topless!

The rule in Phoenix: If it is not locked down or bolted down it will walk away.

When I meet someone who is a recent transplant to phoenix and they say there car has been stolen, My response: "Welcome to phoenix"
Old 03-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
Love the 1st gen topless!

The rule in Phoenix: If it is not locked down or bolted down it will walk away.

When I meet someone who is a recent transplant to phoenix and they say there car has been stolen, My response: "Welcome to phoenix"
That's the rule anywhere these days. Thieves & liars go hand in hand & both should be shot. It's funny, (not ha-ha funny) my friend moved out to Phoenix with his wife after they got married so she could be close to her family & his new F-150 got ripped off, it was found it in Oklahoma city that was three or four years ago. If it isn't locked or blocked there is less reason to break it; some @$$holes will break stuff anyway.

Back on topic, Nice looking 4Runner nmtoy! Looks nice & clean for such an old vehicle, any vehicle really but surprising with one that old.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:06 AM

So im going to take my top off soon, im really getting excited about it. What do you guys do if it rains? I was thinking of finding like a 40 dollar car cover to throw over it when it rains, would that be a good idea?
Also, i was thinking of taking my doors off, but i have the sr5 with power windows etc, is there a plug or would i have to cut the wires to reconnect later? Would it be safe to run doorless without tube doors? Also, i think the law requires at least two rear-viewing mirrors, any ideas on what i could do about that? Could i buy an old mirror an just attach it to the door bolts?
By the way, clean lookin runners. Thanks for the pics, if it wasnt raining here i might have done it today...
Old 03-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is it true that once you remove these tops they don't seal as well and keep rain out anymore when you put them back on? Someone told me this years ago when I first got my '86 and thought of pulling the top for summer.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by thook
Is it true that once you remove these tops they don't seal as well and keep rain out anymore when you put them back on? Someone told me this years ago when I first got my '86 and thought of pulling the top for summer.
I never took my top off the first 19 years that I had mine because I had heard from people that it had leaked on them. They weren't the most careful people in the world. If you follow the instructions in the owners manual exactly, every time, you won't have a problem. 4Crawlers web site talks about this.

Last edited by 86Original; 03-16-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:16 PM

That's a myth about the seal. I've had my top off probably 7 or 8 times since I bought the truck last spring and it seals fine. Actually, had it off the past 2 days while working on some stuff getting ready to wheel this weekend. It's raining cats and dogs right now and no leaks from the top (wish I could say the same for my windshield ). Like 86 said, the trick is in the torque procedure in the manual.

One tip I would say is replace the bolts that hold the top on with higher grade ones if you take the top off alot. I had snapped a couple so I pulled them out yesterday and replaced them all with 8.8s and they tightened up much better.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:38 PM

I've had my top off for a little over 2 years in Phoenix...

I guess I should consider myself lucky cuz nothing has ever been stolen. Although there really isn't anything to steal. I have 2 kill switches and an alarm too, so that may help.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:45 PM

Yeah, I thought that might be a myth. I don't have an owner's manual for the runner, but I have a Hayne's and know of 4crwlr's site so I will look it up there. Thanks for chiming in. I had to wonder wonder why Toyota would make such a design as a removavle top if were only going to leak after having removed it only once.

Before I start pulling mine I need a good place to store it. Even then, I'm thinking I'd like to make a bit of an easily installed/removed security bar-cage to keep sticky hands out of the cab. Something akin to those pet barracades they sell at the pet stores.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

4Crawler's web site is linked in my post (#27) above. It'll take you right to the diagram from the owner's manual.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:48 PM

I have had my 4Runner's top off and my old Wrangler NEVER had the top on for almost 2 years and have never had a problem with theft or vandalism. I guess the trick is to keep your rig looking fairly ratty. One thing I think helped in the Jeep was a Tuffy security box. It even had the stereo mounted in it. I left a gaping hole where the old stereo was in the dashboard and it looked like it had already been stolen. The security box allowed me to lock up valuables like CDs, sunglasses, insurance papers, etc. I do have to admit I've probably been lucky living in Houston. I think I will add a kill switch or two to the 4Runner for the added security (and a homemade "Tuffy" box).
Old 03-16-2007, 04:04 PM

well youve just had excellent luck because i accidentally left my drivers door open the other day and i went into the supermarket for 30 mins and i come back and my stereo sub cds and psp are missing from my truck... ..idiots...so i wish i could tube doors..but it wont happen...if i find the guys.. ..
Old 03-16-2007, 04:22 PM

Marty - thats how I do it -A Tuffy type box between the seats which is welded to the body and a big empty hole with wires hangin out where the radio belongs. I have 2 different types of kill switches in 2 VERY different locations - 1 is connected to the ingnition and the other is to the fuel pump. If someone is lucky enough to find one, there is NO way they would be able to find the 2nd.

And I always go out of my way to park somewhere that someone wouldn't be tempted to jack my stuff - at a store, I park under a light, close to the door. At home, I religiously park in the garage even if I don't plan on being home very long.

I guess I do all that because I grew up fearing for the safty of my vehicle - In Detroit, no vehicle is safe.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The original owner put a masterac lock box in mine.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Can I ask about how you have the spare mounted? Any close up pics? Sorry if you've talked about it before, I must have missed it.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:51 AM

Funny...I pm'd him with the same request. He says he'll get some pics up soon.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:11 PM

Here are some pics of the tire carrier, I made it so I could put a 33 on it someday, has a 31 now.

I made it from 2x2x.120 square tube, 3/8" plate, some muffler clamps and a couple of Toyota wheel lugs.

Robb
Old 03-17-2007, 02:32 PM

Very ,very nice! Thank you.

Any close ups of the bikini top...how it is fastened on?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:32 PM

Another idea for carrying the tire in the cargo area, especially if you don't plan to keep it there forever, is to just use some ratchet straps. I did this for awhile and it stayed put very well and was easier to get out than the stock location.

Quick Reply: Took the top off the 4runner today