86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering wheel nut striped

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel nut striped

Well I was looking for a short in my light switch today and wanted to remove the steering wheel. well wouldn't you know the PO had striped the damn thing so that there is only two lines of thread left on the shaft. The nut is shot. So does anyone know what size it was so that I might be able to rethread it?I was going to file it smooth and then rethread. I now know why it felt loose. The other thing I was thinking about doing was to force a new nut on and weld it inplace, But only as a last resort. Oh yea this is on a 86 sr5 truck. once again I feel like I am
Old 04-12-2008, 07:26 PM

So I take it that no one else has ever had this problem?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Damn dude, it hasn't even been 2 hours, lol. I've had the same thing happen on an old Monte Carlo, but the junk yard is closer to me than any parts or hardware shop, and I needed some other interior parts too, so I just pulled one out of a junker. Haven't messes with my Toy wheel yet though...
Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 PM

Don't take a file to it ! You are going to have to drop down in size since so much metal is gone. It may even need to be SAE threads, instead of Metric.I'm going to circle auto parts here in Petersburg in the morning I will look and see if there are any trucks your vintage you could take a shaft out of. Will PM ya if I see one. Someone told me there is an old yard down your way. Do you know of it?
Jim
Old 04-12-2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by foot0069
Don't take a file to it ! You are going to have to drop down in size since so much metal is gone. It may even need to be SAE threads, instead of Metric.I'm going to circle auto parts here in Petersburg in the morning I will look and see if there are any trucks your vintage you could take a shaft out of. Will PM ya if I see one. Someone told me there is an old yard down your way. Do you know of it?
Jim
I have been to circle and they told me that they didn't have any older toys. There is a junk yard that has alot of older trucks in it, but I can't remember there name. I called them once when I was looking for disk brake parts off of a 73 blazer to put on my 69 Bronco. They are about 20 miles south of dinwiddie. I think I will hit there monday. How hard is it to replace the end shaft? For me rethreading is easy as I have a blacksmith shop in my back yard. Thanks for looking tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
Damn dude, it hasn't even been 2 hours, lol. I've had the same thing happen on an old Monte Carlo, but the junk yard is closer to me than any parts or hardware shop, and I needed some other interior parts too, so I just pulled one out of a junker. Haven't messes with my Toy wheel yet though...
Well the damn wheel was upside down and I had a problem with the light switch; So off it went. I swear if I didn't have so much time into this truck already I would drive it through the po's house. What a lieing sack of dog doo he turned out to be. How do you get the small u-joint out?
Old 04-13-2008, 12:57 PM

Well I got it fixed today. First I tried a 1/2 die but it was of the same size as the old one. Next I filed it down a bit and threaded it with a 7/16 coarse. This worked well with a lock washer. Thanks all for the help.