Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sputter sputter SUPER FAST ACCELERATION

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
i have searched over on pirate, 4x4wire, here, and plain google, but i have found nothing that i haven't already tried. a lot of other people seem to have the exact same issue, but all their solutions I have tried to no avail. the 22re runs perfect when its dry, gets 23 mpg with 31's, burns 0 oil, no leaks, slight valve tap, thats it.
the weird thing too is that it was raining the day i went to inspection, and it was running like crap, spitting and sputtering the whole time i was waiting in line, but it was the last day of the month, and i had to go, even if i failed, bu i passed. i passed new jersey emissions testing with the truck running like this. i dont know if that sheds any light on anything for someone, but it surprised the h&^% out of me.
again, things I have tried, changed, fixed, inspected, etc. :
afm
ecu
o2 sensor
vacuum lines
egr
intake tube
tps
cap, rotor, plugs, wires
new cat
ect sensor
sealed cap, has boot, and custom water deflection shield
air filter
new battery wires and redid all grounds
new battery and alternator
unplugged the csts and cs injector
used seafoam
cleaned tb
cleaned upper plenum
iac seems to be working

my thoughts on possible culprits:
gas tank
fuel lines
coil
ignitor

still looking for and open to any and all suggestions or thoughts.
i appreciate all the help guys and gals
dewitt
Old 05-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Well guys, here's my finds on this problem...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...thread-142091/

Pull your intake tube off the throttle body and open the throttle a bit to see if you have the classic buildup like I did.

After the cleaning, this hasn't happened again once yet!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-20-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the plug connection at the O2 sensor, make sure your not getting moisture in that connection. If that O ring in the plug is bad, water could be getting in there. Also, If your running the Bosh O2, It caused all the same problems that your having, on my truck . Except for it only happening when wet. I changed back to the Denso brand and it cured it. Also, track your wire harness from o2 as far as you can, if its rubbed a hole in wire, water could be shorting it out.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:38 PM

yesterday i sprayed a half a bottle of tb and intake cleaner into my intake, and the problem got much better, so tonight i am taking off the tb, and cleaning everything as best as i can. i will post my results.

as far as the o2 sensor, the problem was happening with the one previously installed, i put a bosch one in, and problem did not change at all.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 PM

i had the same problem drove me nuts for months finally found it after new plugs,cap,rotor,tps, intake cleaning,o2 sensor,pvc valve and bam it was my number 1 injector intermittent bad under acceleration it sucked sometimes idle was good but not all the time started to pull the wires one at time while it was idling bad and the motor had no change when the #1 was pulled. just my 0.02. good luck. oh yeah mines a 3.0 but if u put a ohms meter on it dont always trust that its reading good that thats not the problem couse mine said it was good but it wasnt.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Ive been dealimg with the same problem with my 90 4 runner, I've changed everything, Plugs, wires,Cap and rotor, fuel filter, fuel line, pump and sender, EGR, PCV, Max air flow etc.. Finally fixed it though, I changed the EFI relay it started running better, Changed the Main control relay above the ECU and the truck now runs like a champ. Give it a try.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:11 PM

May sound stupid, but who did the tune up? Maybe the wires were replaced in the wrong firing order.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:15 PM

sorry, didn't read the whole thread. whoops. too many buds.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by crews462
sorry, didn't read the whole thread. whoops. too many buds.

Yes, the roses are so pretty this time of year....
Old 05-22-2008, 03:06 AM

so last night i took off the tb and cleaned it, sprayed in to the intake and cleaned as much as possible, so we will see if that did anything.

the main relay and efi relay, they are both in the kick panel by the ecu? that sounds like something i will try, as i have not addressed either of those yet.

i have had a lingering thought it might be injector related, was trying to elimnate other possiblities first before i go disturbing fuel stuff, as my runner is pretty rusted, and was planning on later in the summer replacing all fuel related lines and getting the injectors cleaned and such. good suggestion though, i will for sure keep that in mind.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 AM

Just wanted to see if there's any update on this problem. My '95 22re (California emission) is having the exact same issue. Seems to act better if I get to driving before the cold start timer shuts off. Once it gets to normal operating temp, it runs fine for the most part. Then, after shutting it off for a few minutes and restarting... well, the cuss words begin. Sometimes it's better than others. Sometimes it's worse, it won't hardly rev up in neutral, much less drive anywhere.

I've tested most of the same things everybody else has: EGR, and modulator, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, TPS, AFM, every VSV, and cold start injector. After reading some of these posts, I think I'll go back and check some things a second time just to make sure.

I recently replaced all the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and main O2 sensor because it was tune up time, and I usually change the O2 sensor every 100K er so. However, this time I went with a Bosch O2 sensor from the parts store (plug in style, not the splice in). I've never bought one of these before, but wanted to try since it's $60 cheaper than the one from the dealership. I've read on boards like this and others that the Toyotas don't like the Bosch sensors, but I tried it anyways. It still seems suspect to me because after this problem started, I thought it was the O2 and took it back for a warranty replacement, put in the new one and the problem went away for a few weeks, but, it's back now.

By the way, newbie to this board, nice to meet y'all.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 PM

well, it happens still after all that, but not as bad. i agree with pauliep13, seems to run better before the cold start timer shuts off, so i think it may be fuel delivery related, but not 100%. this leads back to the injectors. if the truck is hot when it is started back up, if it is running poorly, it will do so right off the bat, but here the cold start is not coming into play, so again, seems to be leading back to injectors.
anyone know if you can pull injectors without removing the plenum?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:52 PM

Here's my update...I replaced the neg. battery cable (both to the block and fender) with a 4-ga cable and heavy-duty clamp. In the last 150 city miles, there have been zero symptoms of bog and surge. Maybe that's all that was causing my particular problem.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:24 PM

OK, here's my update. I've checked things over and over, until I was sick of looking at my multimeter, with no definite results of a culprit. I know I've read on this board and others that Toyota's are picky about the quality of electrics that are installed in them. (Matter of fact, I think there's a post in this thread somewhere about ditching the Bosch sensor. I'm just too lazy to look back through and find it so it can be quoted.) So, I decided "why not" and ordered me a factory Denso O2 sensor. PROBLEM SOLVED... for now. I'll check back in if the problems come back.

So, here's my advice. Check your O2 sensor... Not with a mulimeter according to the FSM. Get under the truck and see does it say "Bosch" on it. If it does... yank it out, and get you a Denso. After this attempt to hold back on the swear words you'll surely want to unload on the parts store that sold you the Bosch, and claiming that it would be up to OEM spec.

Also, does everybody else that is/was having this problem have a California emission truck? Mine is, and I don't know if that makes it more picky about the O2 sensor issue or not. I do know, however, that Toyota lists the CA sensor as a different part # than the federal emissions sensor.

Also, for those of you lookin' to save cash, check out www.1sttoyotaparts.com . I think I've seen it listed on yotatech before, but I'm not sure. It's the online sales dept. for a Seattle area dealership, with rather steep discounts on factory parts. The O2 sensor in question was $35 cheaper than my local dealership.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM

I put a Bosch in mine about 5k miles ago and it's been fine ever since.

I'm cheap
Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Snotrocket

I'm cheap
Actually, with the web site I listed above, the Denso O2 sensor was only $10 more than the Bosch.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Snotrocket

I'm cheap
Actually, with the web site I mentioned above, the Denso O2 sensor was only $10 more than the Bosch.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:35 PM

Oops.. double post... shouldn'ta hit the button that many times.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:06 PM

My 94 has been doing this also, I have replaced the wires, plugs, cap, rotor...etc all the basic tune up stuff, and it still does it, However, it is a cali truck, and I DO need a sub 02(the post cat o2), Would that cause this type of problem? I would have figured it would either make the truck run rich, or lean, not cause hesitation, and sputtering. Getting 20+ mpg with mixed driving, which seems good to me cuz my 93 auto gets between 14-17, depending on its mood that day.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM

Well, the problem is almost gone, I adjusted my idle screw(was idling around 1200rpm), now down to 800 -/+...and that seemed to help alot...it isnt completely gone...but def better...now... I am curious, has anyone having this problem run a compression test? there are many things that could cause these symptoms, but many of us have replaced or checked most of those with no results.. the way I figure it, this prob may very well be caused by 1 of 2 things... a vacuum leak(too much air entering combustion chamber, maybe a bad intake gasket), or a faulty head gasket(water entering combustion chamber), maybe if every one having this issue did comp tests, we could compare the results, and determine if it's likely one or the other. I will be doing a comp test sometime this week, this is a new to me motor, and I would like to know how "healthy" it is.

Last edited by Team420; 06-17-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Sputter sputter SUPER FAST ACCELERATION