86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

somebody tried to steal my 2nd gen last night

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
heres what i would do i would have a alarm installed and have 2 sirens mounted undereneath the front seats that would be so loud no one would bother with it
Old 07-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
security

I really like what you are all saying about layers of protection, and I appreciate the fact that you are sharing this so freely on this post.
I did more research and went with a powerlock touch key system, it's $160 and about $150 for an install. After reading about immobilizers, this is apparently one of the best. I think that this, coupled with the club, will be a very good start. I will feel a lot better about this.
I have never heard of the lojack and I am going to investigate this- perhaps this will also become one of my layers of protection, depending on the price. I may be happy enough with the powerlock that I will just stay with that, but I'll have to see about how I feel once it is installed.
as usual the yotatech community has come through in the crunch- much obliged, I am!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:13 PM

The "Club" which is a waste of money can be removed in a few seconds by cutting the steering wheel with a hacksaw. It's been proven many times.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
what i would do is take out the distributor rotor and the efi fuse and see if they can get it started
Old 07-27-2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by DirtCheap
The "Club" which is a waste of money can be removed in a few seconds by cutting the steering wheel with a hacksaw. It's been proven many times.
Look, just because it can be defeated doesn't mean it's a waste of money. It's one layer. Maybe a thin layer to someone with good theiving skills, but it's a show stopper for the joy rider who knows how to hot wire automobiles and doesn't have the cutting tools necessary to get through devices like "the Club."

You might wanna work a few shades of grey into your black & white world.

Ed
Old 07-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtCheap

tell me how many thieves are going to spend valuable time hacking away at a steering wheel? These are the ones that get caught.

The rule is in and out. Any longer and, as a thief, you'll need more on your side than just you and the element of surprise.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
all this stuff is meant as a deturrant as previously stated. If someone really wants your truck, they'll take it, but most of these people will move on and go for the easy targets (theres plenty of em out there).
Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 PM

Taikowaza
Yes it is the Mastergard 6000 I had installed. You can NOT install it yourself, you need it installed by a professional. The only problem I see your way is that Mastergard is a Canadian company if I am not mistaken and I am not sure how expanded they are into the US market. The installer of my immobilizer said he also likes the autowatch products. He says they're definately worth a look. Autowatch builds anti-theft devices internationally, including for places like South Africa where people don't have their vehicles stolen as much as they have them car jacked! They build immobilizers that prevent car jackings!

The installer of my immobilizer said that when they tested the mastergard, it took not one, but 2 (two) extremely knowledgeable car thiefs during testing, together, 5 solid minutes to defeat the immobilizer starting with an open door. He also says he has video of his 12 year old son beating a club in about 10 seconds.

Best of luck.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 07-27-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude

tell me how many thieves are going to spend valuable time hacking away at a steering wheel? These are the ones that get caught.

The rule is in and out. Any longer and, as a thief, you'll need more on your side than just you and the element of surprise.

Cutting the steering wheel is the EASY part. I had the club on my truck, and I KNOW I had the club on my truck when it was stolen, and he didn't hack through the steering wheel. He took the time to cut the club. The only reason I have the club on my truck like I said earlier is to save me a popped open door lock or two so I don't waste the thiefs time. Most thiefs where I Live are Crystal Metheads who want an easy steal. They are addicted to crystal meth, how smart can they be, really? They get tired from being up days at a time or more, and they then start making mistakes in judgement and that's when they get turfed into jail like the guy who got caught with my truck did.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 07-27-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

powerlock installed on 2nd gen

I got the powerlock installed on the 2nd gen last night.
www.powerlock.com
I got the unit itself for 150plus shipping and the install was 150. I really like it, it is easy to use, arm and disarm, the vehicle will not start without the touch-key (I recommend the touchkeys rather than the transponder, no batteries to worry about, indestructable keys). I had been pulling my EFI fuse each night and this is way better.
There is a great deal of information on their website. This unit is the only one that coed naked's tip on the Canadian Insurance Board led me to- that is sold in the USA. My insurance will also give me a discount on my auto insurance because of this, looks like a big chunk of change.
powerlock also pays your deductable up to 10,000 on a stolen vehicle with powerlock installed.

curious to hear yotatech thoughts on this:
at least for me, while I usually research for a long time about everything, having a hard time making up my mind (like for the OME suspension or which header to get), this decision was a no-brainer for me, it seemed to be the best choice.

the other thing that I am still curious about is the commando 870 that a lot of guys seem to like.

from the powerlock website
AUTO SECURITY SYSTEM COMPARISONS
Type of System

How it Works

Main Feature

How it can be
overcome / time
-----------------------------------

Steering bar/THE CLUB+
Wheel Locks:

Prevents Steering
Wheel Function

Visible Deterrent

Steering Wheel is
hacksawed / 40 sec.
--------------------------------

Audible Alarms:

Blows Horn
or Alarm

Scares Thief

Cut Wires to
Disable / 15-40 sec.

(however...the paging function on the commando 870 is another story I think-I am curious whether anyone has actually been paged and caught a thief in action)- T

---------------------------------------
Mechanical Fuel&
Pedal Locks

Prevents Fuel
Flow and/or
Pedal Movement

Visible Deterrent

Bridged, disabled or
cut / 15-60 sec.

-----------------------------
Tracking System:

Transmits Radio
Signal to Locate
Car

Used by Police

Removed at
Chop Shops before
Owner can Report

---------------------------------
Immobilizers:

Cuts off Power to
Starter or Engine

Cuts Power

Hot wire around
in Minutes

---------------------------------------
POWER LOCK

Disconnects All
Power to Starter

Passive
Activation

CANNOT be
Overcome
by Hot-Wiring!
Old 08-11-2006, 06:41 AM

could you start it if it was a 5 speed by push starting it?? that would be a problem that i would have with it....I would just run a micro switch somewhere in the car to the fuel pump so it wont prime....
Old 08-11-2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1styota4X4
could you start it if it was a 5 speed by push starting it?? that would be a problem that i would have with it....I would just run a micro switch somewhere in the car to the fuel pump so it wont prime....
No you need power to the ignition to let it start.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
No you need power to the ignition to let it start.
So what! The powerlock disconnests power to the STARTER, not ignition (as it reads abaove).

Lamm
Old 11-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti-theft my way

Harpers anti-theft method:

1. Never park where there are no security cameras.
2. Be home by dark if at all possible.
3. Always lock the vehicles.
4. Always leave a thin veneer of dirt and dust on the vehicle.

Of course it helps to have 8 miles of dirt roads to travel every day.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best solution in the world:

One shot of rock salt will change some minds real quick, hehe.