Sponsored by: DashLynx

RUST- its a killer

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
man that would cost some bucks,,,,
Old 06-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wouldn't waste my money spraying bedliner on the body it will just rust from the inside out. applying por-15 to the inside of the body panels will help but not for long. the problem is that the rust will start in the seams and work its way out. unless you are just going to drive the truck in good weather forget about fighting the rust. do what everyone else in the midwest, replace your truck every 10 years or so or buy a welder and become a master fabricator and work on your truck constantly.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Swansen
Yeah, pretty much, prep work sucks, and its everything, thats why cars are painted in booths, to keep out contaminates.

spray booths are production tools. they do not make paint more durable.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
problem is ... METAL rusts .. no question !! Powder coating is only temperary repreive .. it'll still rust .. look at any warn winch bumper !

Last edited by slacker; 06-13-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 PM

brownsfaninmn....do you have the link to that comparison test?

Thank you...
Old 06-13-2009, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok...Im so glad to see a topic of Yota cancer...finally. But...so far,y'all are talking beds/trucks.
How bout some suggestions on the 4runner quarters panels and rocker panels?
I live in Southeast,Pa...road salt capital of the world...rain like conditions almost equal to Seattle.
In the last year alone,Im crying over watching the slow growth of cancer on my right rear quarter,just below the fuel flap,at edge of wheel well.
I touched it the other day and water actually squirted out of it. I got so depressed,knowing their isnt much of anything I can do about it. Body work nowadays is outrageously priced,and Im not that good at it myself.
My rig isnt worth a million dollar body redo,but the damn thing ...I love it so much.
Ive started to accept the fact of embarresment when I go places. Me and my girl are dressed nice,pull up to valet parking and thiers my...rust!
Aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!
Is it possible to replace the quarters on a 4runner? Are they even available? Don't mind my questions,please...Im not a body mechanic by any means.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:54 PM

it is possible to replace quarters but i have no idea if they are still available.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you going from the ground up cleaning is the metal is most important.. im doing some rims for my suzuki.. they had lots of rust on the inside and a bit on the face of the rims... but they were free and i love the look , so i removed what i could with loose with wire wheels. then i used this "rust convertor" product they sell up in canada.. its a green gel or a brown liquid and it turn the rust white.. you can see it bubble and react when hits any rust! so instead of sand blasting or 8 more hours with the wire brushes.. i just did the rust conversion because its not a show truck or restore. apparently it stops rust and or any prevents and new rust.so i put it on twice 2 nights in the row let it sit for 20 minutes and washed it off.. they look almost like clean metal now. im painting them this weekend and we shall see how good it works! i took pics which ill post!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:12 PM

bigt...might you have any links for purchase of the rust converting product?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD
You say that now but give it a year and you will start seeing REAL rust, not that surface rust you guys have in AZ. Here is a pic for proof:

James
There's rust in AZ??... I've never heard of this myth.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

I just moved from New Hampshire to Colorado and its amazing to see all the old yotas out here because they dont salt the roads. Tons of first gen runners and old trucks. People say they use mag-chloride on the roads but it is nothing compared to that rock salt that absolutely cakes the roads back east in the winter. The road salt back east absolutely destroyed my 97 tacoma, which I loved and ran like a top until the day the rear quarter of the frame fell apart.

Anyways - if you do get a truck that is rust free I would say POR-15 the frame AND oil undercoat the frame religiously.

Stay away from "autozone" style undercoatings as they dont work and actually make the situation worse by allowing water to get trapped under the coating.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:26 PM

My dad use to live on the Oregon coast and would wash his car with some kerosene in his soap bucket. He said the oil would coat everything and protect it from the salt. He said it worked very well for him and his cars always stayed rust free.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:18 PM

i don't think repeated applications of kerosene would be good for the finish
Old 06-14-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here a cool article dude
http://www.alan.net/prgshoptips/rustconv.html
heres the product i used
http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...5P/reviews.htm

basicially you need a tanin what ever that is!

i got pics coming!

i dont like this rust paint stuff so im gonna get some primer to fill the rust a bit..

Last edited by bigt; 06-14-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by dutchboy
Ok...Im so glad to see a topic of Yota cancer...finally. But...so far,y'all are talking beds/trucks.
How bout some suggestions on the 4runner quarters panels and rocker panels?
I live in Southeast,Pa...road salt capital of the world...rain like conditions almost equal to Seattle.
In the last year alone,Im crying over watching the slow growth of cancer on my right rear quarter,just below the fuel flap,at edge of wheel well.
I touched it the other day and water actually squirted out of it. I got so depressed,knowing their isnt much of anything I can do about it. Body work nowadays is outrageously priced,and Im not that good at it myself.
My rig isnt worth a million dollar body redo,but the damn thing ...I love it so much.
Ive started to accept the fact of embarresment when I go places. Me and my girl are dressed nice,pull up to valet parking and thiers my...rust!
Aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!
Is it possible to replace the quarters on a 4runner? Are they even available? Don't mind my questions,please...Im not a body mechanic by any means.

just to let you know .. we have repair panels avaliable ..
http://www.toyotafiberglass.com/4runner.htm .. also rockers .

Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Thank you slacker...at least I now know I have an option.
In the pics on the web site...it looks as if all 1/4 panels are for a pickup.
Or am I mistaken?
Just a reminder..I have 90 4runner sr5. Im looking for rear quarters,primarily driver side.
Thank you for the link...def. worth saving!
Old 06-28-2009, 04:36 PM

hey vermontoyota, isn't Winooski right next to Burlington? Ill be coming up with the yota this fall to start college at UVM, mauybe I'll see you around?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:55 PM

I have a buddy named Theo that lives in Winooski. He had a couple of parties at his house called the Winooski Brewski Hullabalooski. My girlfriend had a house in Lincoln until recently (fire) and her family had an 84 pickup that needed a wood bed replacement too. She named it 'Daisy'. We thought we saw it driving around Lincoln a couple of years ago, but it could have been one of many.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
i believe there is a company called (wolf steel ) that make 1/4 panels and such, for toyotas, give it a google.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by BrownsfaninMN
I have a '94 who's body is in nice shape but the bed started to rust pretty bad, especially under the metal strips that cover the wheel wells. Was monitoring ebay and craigslist for over a year, forget it, then if you win, who wants to ship a bed across country??? I decided to buy a new bed from the dealer, $1800, with prep and paint $3200. She's in the shop now, should pick it up later in the week, stripes came from James Dean Creations out of Tuscon, Ariz.

Also did my frame with Zero Rust, I personally didn't have any luck with POR 15, after one winter in MN it came off in sheets, especially when using a power sprayer to get the winter slop off (hopefully the Zero Rust won't). Was also told about a product called OSPHO, did some online comparisons, the test results said the Zero Rust out performed them all. I'll let you know next spring how it works.

A '94 4X4 with only 60k miles on her, original floormats even, she'll be better than new...
Hello,

Do you have the links to the comparisions...I am interested too.

Thank you...

Quick Reply: RUST- its a killer