Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ride Quality (I want new parts)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by prodigy2k7
I measured it. Its between 14.25 and 14.50 inches from the top of the wheel
That's about where they should be which is strange since your bumpstop looks nearly bottomed out, you might crank it down to 13.5" & see if that helps. Other than that I'd agree with everything most others have said, might be dead springs, might go to a softer shock, might replace some bushings or try different tires.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by prodigy2k7
my buddy in his truck has leaf springs in the back, they are more of an arch than mine. Mine are sorta flat, and yes the back does sag compared to the front.

Im probably going to take of my sway bar

Edit: Im having second thoughts...I dont want body roll. Will my vehicle sway more if i replace this swaybar that "sucks"
It's easy to put back on, just take it off & see what you think. If that teeny bit of body roll bothers you; put it back on.

I'm running without mine & I think the only time it's going to be a problem would be high speed emergency maneuvering - I.E. hard steer left or right at interstate speeds.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Chiming in here
I removed my sway bar awhile ago when I was replacing my front cvs and broke the endlinks trying to get them off so I could get the new Axles past 'em. I think it rides better without them. the added body roll I noticed disappeared when I replaced my front shocks.

along the same topic. do others also think the rear sway bar should come off?
my truck is rear spring since it's a 90.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:42 PM

hmm maybe ill try it... I got the adjustable shocks so maybe if it sways too much ill stiffen them up.

The thing is, I want no body roll at all really and a good ride. I cant seem to have both here, maybe if i adjust my shocks.

Would getting an aftermarket sway bar help?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
You bought a 4x4. If you want great onroad handling, buy somthing else.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Amen
I wish someone would tell that to Consumer reports. They are always whining about how uncomfortable this or that truck is.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
if you're comparing an 91 to an 86, aren't you comparing coil springs to leafs? so apples vs. oranges?

The leafs on my 88 feel really stiff when the bed is empty, but when its loaded up, it rides nice an' soft. Maybe you are just feeling the stiffness of an underloaded set of springs, so its not flexing enough?

Hopefully more peeps will chime in.

*subscribed*
trucks always had rear leafs, only runners got coilsprings
Old 04-03-2008, 02:00 AM

As Jay said, you could add ball joint spacers and then reset the ride height back to stock via the torsion bars to soften up the front, and add a custom spring pack out back from Alcan since money isn't an issue.

Replacing the bushings would be a good idea too. Even if it doesn't help the ride out any.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:04 AM

If you want NO body roll at all; leave the anti-sway bar on it. It's not going to make the ride stiff, it's only restrictive over big bumps or dips. Soften the shocks & relax the T-bars & you'll find your better ride. If it's too spongy, stiffen everything up just a bit; just be sure to drive it around a bit after adjustments so everything will settle in.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 AM

excuse me, this is my daily driver, i dont have the money to throw around for another vehicle. My buddy has a good 91 truck its a 4x4 it has good handling. Give some helpful info plz not some junk like that
Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by machabees
Amen
I wish someone would tell that to Consumer reports. They are always whining about how uncomfortable this or that truck is.
My friends truck is *very* compfortable. All Im trying to get is just like his. Is that such a hard idea to get into ur heads?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I will repeat my statement, perhaps you didn't get it through your thick skull.

You are driving a 22 year old 4x4 with torsion sprung IFS and a leaf sprung rear axle. Do you honestly think you will get it to handle like a sports car?

Suck it up princess.

Last edited by Jay351; 04-03-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:55 PM

Get with your friend again and take a picture of the bumpstop just like you did with yours. Compare, then set yours exactly like his. If that doesn't do what you want, then check out all your bushings and ball joints. If that still doesn't do it, then you should probably try the ball joint spacers from sdori.com.
As for the rear, you've already gotten a straight answer about adding springs, otherwise I think most of the new springs out there are for lift. Hope that helps, but Jay's got a point...your 'Runner ain't gonna corner like a sports car, so don't try to make it, the results are usually bad.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 PM

I will repeat my statement, perhaps you didn't get it through your thick skull.

You are driving a 22 year old 4x4 with torsion sprung IFS and a leaf sprung rear axle. Do you honestly think you will get it to handle like a sports car?

Suck it up princess.
guess what, my friend has IFS with torsion springs and rear leafs, just like mine. His layout is exactly as mine... So no as I say again i dont expect it to be as a sports car, just his... tyvm
Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Get with your friend again and take a picture of the bumpstop just like you did with yours. Compare, then set yours exactly like his. If that doesn't do what you want, then check out all your bushings and ball joints. If that still doesn't do it, then you should probably try the ball joint spacers from sdori.com.
As for the rear, you've already gotten a straight answer about adding springs, otherwise I think most of the new springs out there are for lift. Hope that helps, but Jay's got a point...your 'Runner ain't gonna corner like a sports car, so don't try to make it, the results are usually bad.
Thanks, when dealing with add a leaf, can I do it myself? Or do you need special tools for the spring action and need to have it professionally installed?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:00 PM

Shouldn't need any special tools, as long as you have jack stands under the frame and the axle is totally free hanging. May be easier to do the Zuk mod too, try searching for it and there's threads with pictures...virtually NO tools needed! Remember there's also the issue of wheelbase...if your wheelbase is different from your friend's, then you do not have the same setup.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is'nt a add-a-leaf going to make it ride rougher?
Old 04-04-2008, 03:59 AM

The add-a-leafs don't make it ride rougher they help wore out springs. They do this by putting the load back onto the long springs which are softer.
If you had brand new springs they would make it stiffer.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by machabees
Amen
I like a comfortable ride the same or more as the next person. But the fact that consumer reports downgrades a truck for not cornering like a sports car is moronic. The same goes for complaints about vague steering (would you want a truck that feeds back every single road bump while on a gravel fire road), lean in turns (just put a put in a stabilizer bar the size of my wrist why don't you), or that it is difficult to get into (suspension drop anyone, so you can look like P. Diddlypuff or whatever). OEM tire complaints as well bother me. I think they want cars with racing slicks.
<-- Consumer Report "truck" tester
Old 04-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy crap people.

Okay, first of all, your Torsion bars ARE cranked.

That "thing" you pointed to is your upper bumpstop. If you are riding on it, it means you are at full droop, all the time.

So back the torsion bars off.

His buddy has a 91 truck. No coil springs on a truck.

DO NOT BUY AN AFTERMARKET SWAY BAR!!!!!!!

Why on earth would that change your ride? The sway bar does nothing for the harshness of the ride, your truck will just "feel" softer in turns, because you will have increased body roll. But going straight, it won't make a difference.

Back the torsion bars off, see where that gets you. Don't spend money on crap you don't need, do ONE thing at a time, and see where you are.

Quick Reply: Ride Quality (I want new parts)