Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rebuilding rear differential. 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 06:51 PM
irv

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rebuilding rear differential. 4x4

The shaft leading into my rear differential on my 86 4x4 pickup has a lot of wiggle and play to it. It is also leaking oil. Driveshaft U joints are fine. It is just the behind the companion flange that has a lot of play where there should not be.

From looking at this diagram and thinking about it it seems that one or more of the bearings inside must be shot. I am now considering doing a rebuild of the rear diff. Never done it before. I assume some of you have likely done this. Any tips or tricks or a specific rebuild kit that is good? I'm looking at this kit on RockAuto: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....277401&jsn=417

Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 606 Likes on 442 Posts
It is certainly possible to do this yourself, if you have a hydraulic press, a dial indicator with magnetic base, some brass punches, a low inch pound torque wrench, and other assorted tools; some that you might have to make yourself..... ect.

And you have reasonable competence using these items. first time is the hardest.

There is a reason that professional labor on these gear set-ups is costly.

Nothing wrong with that bearing kit, but its always smart to shop all over for price. The Jap bearings are good.

Good info here, and a highly recommended workman to do yours if you bail.::http://gearinstalls.com/

Last edited by millball; 04-21-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 PM

It may be though, that all you need is a pinion seal replacement and re-torque of the pinion flange.

Try that first, if you have no untoward noises, or other rear end troubles. little to lose.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 PM
irv

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
It is certainly possible to do this yourself, if you have a hydraulic press, a dial indicator with magnetic base, some brass punches, a low inch pound torque wrench, and other assorted tools; some that you might have to make yourself..... ect.

And you have reasonable competence using these items. first time is the hardest.

There is a reason that professional labor on these gear set-ups is costly.

Nothing wrong with that bearing kit, but its always smart to shop all over for price. The Jap bearings are good.

Good info here, and a highly recommended workman to do yours if you bail.::http://gearinstalls.com/
Thanks for the response. I've definitely got the skills and most of the tools. I've done a complete rebuild of a 22r before so I know a little bit. Think a hydraulic press is a necessity? Or could the necessary work be done with a mallet and wooden block?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:03 PM

Sometimes repetative removal of the pinion from the housing is necessary in fitting the pinion shims and if the pinion bearings are as tight as they usually are, its better to push them with a press than to drive them.
I forgot to mention that a bearing separator plate tool is required to remove the inside pinion bearing as well.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the same kit but from eBay a month ago from a seller coreswest for 109. I guess they even have a place in CA somewhere. I haven't seen the kit yet because I have been away from home for a while, but it's got to be decent for the money. Can't wait to get home and tear into my rear diff.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really curious to see where this thread heads, as I have weird vibrations and noises that I'm 85% sure is from my rear diff.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:54 AM

Received 188 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm with millball, check your pinion nut, it should be staked and therefore unmoved from its original spot, it could have been messed with by prev owner, or maybe your crush sleeve inside there has crushed a little more over time and you just need a couple threads more on the nut. Sounds like all you are saying is there is some play and some leaking oil. In my opinion, you need a press to get that pinion bearing off there, I've done it and I don't see how you would do it with a hammer.