86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Main Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Main Oil Leak

Just posting this so it my help someone else out...about 3 months ago i did a timing chain job , flywheel ,new clutch kit by pulling the motor its a 1994 4x4 22re and of course a new rear main seal it was a Fel pro ...i know i should of used a stock oem NOK seal 90311-80010 but i did not know at the time. Well just did the first oil change and about 800 miles on it since the job was done ; 1 week later the rear main is leaking so now i get to pull the motor again So for now i rigged a little catch basket and oil absord cloth to catch the oil till i get to the rip out. The crankshaft was not grovved ,also changed the mounting plate gasket also, with sealer, i dont know what when wrong i drove the seal in nice and square and lubed it up when i installed it???? Anyone have this same problem let me know Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails Rear Main Oil Leak-oil.jpg   Rear Main Oil Leak-oil1.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017, 08:35 AM

Started taken the motor out down to 2 bolts ..........but were gonna get hit by snow monday so it has to wait. Let me hear from you guys about your rear main seal leaks like to get some freed back Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:31 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just curious why you would pull the engine rather then the transmission ??

I guess you have your reasons

Either you just had bad luck or Felpro is using Chinese made seals which quality control seems to tank when the inspector takes a break

Did you knock things a little sideways getting the transmission through the clutch

I am guessing the last seal was leaking so you changed it . See any reason why that failed??

I never changed a rear main seal unless it had failed or the crank was removed from the block

Something such a labor intensive job I get Toyota parts if possible

I always clean up any surfaces a seal rides on using emery cloth the smallest burr will take out a seal
Old 03-14-2017, 04:09 AM

Thanks for the reply, I had to pull the motor because i have no one to help me easier to do than mess with the 4x4 trans on the ground plus its all clean and loose. Looks like Felpro seal are made in mexico dont know if this is good or bad ? trans went in kind of easy? I changed the old seal to avoid this a second time...oh well !!!! crank looked clean also.....Well my new toyota oem seal is hopefully coming today ,dont think so were getting hit with 24'' of snow and my truck is down Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails Rear Main Oil Leak-sealbox.jpg  
Old 03-14-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just which North East quite a few towns with that name

Myself I think I would quicker pull the Trans then a Engine any day even more so if I was alone

I guess it snowed some last night and today
Old 03-16-2017, 06:20 PM

i'm just now starting to get an oil leak there... rear main seal seems to be the culprit since I just replaced the valve cover gaskets 3-4 years ago. 153K miles on the 3VZE but I foolishly put some zinc (4oz redline Engine Break in oil) in the last few oil changes and now I wish I hadn't. Gonna keep an eye on it after a fresh Rotella 5W-40 oil change.

Last edited by GO_BLUE!; 04-16-2017 at 04:59 PM.