86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Differential issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Rear Differential issues

1994 4x4 SR5 V6 with factory 31" tire package. 4.56 gears if I remember correctly + ABS speed sensor in rear differential. Has approx. 250000 miles on it.

Were these differentials limited slip or open????

What started as a bearing job on the rear axles due to some odd noises coming from the axle bearings has turned into something a little more. The rear axle bearings were definitely toast. Both sides having quite a bit of wobble. The passenger side was much worse than the drivers side. Some definite grinding going on with that one also.

Upon reassembly with the new bearings I am getting some noise from the third member. Best way I know to describe it is a clicking noise that increases in frequency the faster the wheels spin, the sound/noise appears to originate from the passenger side of the third member. I'm thinking carrier bearings, but could be something more. My description is probably fairly poor, but what I am hearing is not normal.

Unfortunately I will not be able to really see what is going on with it until I can remove and inspect it which will probably be tomorrow or next weekend. My problem is I have no experience with rear differentials, none of the sst's, dial gauges etc... to even work on it.

Kind of torn on what to do here, buy the necessary parts to fix it, using something like one of the Marlin Crawler 3rd member kits @ 300+ and the labor. In my location I do not have much of an option other than taking the removed 3rd member to the Toyota dealer for a rebuild. So I can see the total cost (parts & labor) being somewhere in the 500 to 600 range possibly more and that would not include if something is wrong with carrier or ring and pinion.

The other option would be purchasing a fully assembled 3rd member. I see these advertised starting in the 700 range and getting quite lofty in price depending on options. Don't need anything fancy just a stock 3rd member with the proper gears.

Wondering on some thoughts as which may be a better way to go.

Cheers
Andy

PS will post back when I get it removed and possibly see what is up with it.

Last edited by Andy A; 01-18-2016 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go to a junkyard and get a used 3rd. pre 95 truck were all open diff. just make sure you get the same gear set. 79-05.5 all used the same rear 3rd member.

or contact ZUK on here. he is an excellent rebuilder.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaser Johndoe
79-05.5 all used the same rear 3rd member.
Not exactly. In fact, not even close.

Anyways. It sounds like he knows pretty well where he sits. Mainly, in the middle of nowhere...when it comes to used ones.

I don't know what to tell you. Pull it and take a look at it. Maybe you're not as screwed as you think you are.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:02 PM

Was not able to get it out today, snowing, sleeting, and rain, will not be till Thursday before I can pull it.

On a side note East Coast Gears is approx. 60 miles north of me and they sell preassembled units.

Cheers
Andy
Old 01-17-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all 79-95 rear thirds are interchangeable. yes i know the v6/turbo ones had an additional bearing. then the 4.88 were their own monster. but still 100% interchangeable. spilnes and everying else are the same. I'm talking 4wd models btw. I am aware 2wds use a smaller diff.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:39 AM

Just wanted to post back on how things were going with the differential. Got it out last Thursday and was supposed to take it to East Coast Gear in Raleigh but we had a heck of a ice/snow storm that made me put off the drive till yesterday. Will pick it up today and hopefully get everything installed tomorrow.

So at approx. 250000 miles had to replace the axle bearings and have the differential rebuilt. All in all approx. 750 for axle bearing kits and rebuilding the differential.

Cheers
Andy
Old 01-29-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaser Johndoe
all 79-95 rear thirds are interchangeable. yes i know the v6/turbo ones had an additional bearing. then the 4.88 were their own monster. but still 100% interchangeable. spilnes and everying else are the same. I'm talking 4wd models btw. I am aware 2wds use a smaller diff.
You're making me work too hard here.

Interchangeable? Yes.

V6/Turbo had an additional bearing? No.

4WD models use a larger diff than 2WDs? Usually. But not always. There are some 2WDs that came with 8" diffs from the factory.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-29-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Times two. By interchangeable meaning it physically fitting in the hole in the axle housing. Fine. There's other subtle stuff that may or may not affect different things. You can't just go by what's posted on Rock Auto.