Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Questionable 1995 4Runner Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questionable 1995 4Runner Purchase

Hi All,

I've lurked in here often, and learned much. I've owned a 1995 regular cab 22re 4wd pickup for 14 years, and it runs partly thanks to you all. I know things about that truck, and I find the 22re intuitive and I can look over 2nd/3rd gen Toyota pickups with the 22re and know if they're in decent shape. But alas, I need an SUV. So, I went and made a questionable decision and bought a 1995 4wd SR5 3vze 4Runner here in NorCal.

Act I: Look honey, look what I found at the pound. Isn't he cute?

This thing has a great body.
The driveline and suspension seemed solid (except for one "detail", below)
The interior was ok. A little smelly, maybe a new carpet kit. Seat covers needed in the front. Interior trim good, windows good.
Windows go up/down, most importantly, that killer back window.
It had some mismatched tires on decent 16s.
The sway bar was all screwed up.
The brakes were not good.
The transfer case switched in and out great. 4wd seemed solid.
Differentials not obviously leaking (except into rear right drum brake)
The engine sounded good, firing on all cylinders, no burnt valves, running rich.
No speed/odometer (figured it was VSS1, thanks to you all - throwing code 42 and code 62 out of the tranny, code 42 out of check engine light). That solenoid code scared me a little.

So the next part of this story is that I obviously plunked down way too much money because I liked how it looked and I'm clearly a sucker for Toyota trucks if I've been driving a regular cab Toyota for 14 years when I'm 6'2". (Even after talking this dude down because of aforementioned problems - and imagine all of you already know that you should never buy a truck from a tow truck driver, unless you're buying a parts truck? I should've totally bailed when I realized that's what he does for a living. But he did have a 1991, too, and he uses a Toyota mechanic that I know...)

Act II: See this albacore around my neck? It's like the salmon of Capistrano in the spring

Doesn't overheat
Shifts ok (despite VSS1 issue).
Seems to fire on all cylinders, starts up fine
Still running rich
Fixed sway bar bushings and linkage, idler arm
All new brakes all around
Real axle seals were spewing grease into drums, replaced
Work done by a solid shop with a warantee
Has a vibration at highway speeds (I thought it was the fixed items above... nope).

THEN, it started spewing oil. Like, lots of oil. From the timing belt cover. So, that's a seal, likely a big one. Took it straight to a good shop here in town that I have a relationship with, because I've got no time to figure this thing out at the moment, and it's a new engine to me. Help.

Act III: Aw, man, what did I get myself into

So, this shop... never taken me for a ride, honest about process and throwing away money (So why didn't I bring my friend that is the shop foreman along when I bought this thing? I keep asking myself that...)

The VSS1 gear is mangled, so that explains that.
The front cam seal is half way out. Argh. (Cam play? noooooooo. Is the crank hosed, too? Maybe. That's why it's a "used" car.)
More oil coming from more places (pan, ok, not terrible).
Obviously needs a new timing belt, new seals up front.

Total estimate for the seals and new timing belt - $1200. I'll yard VSS1 because you can't hardly buy that stupid plastic gear.

Act IV: You guys help me out because you're awesome

Let's not commit the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs as in, it doesn't matter how much I've dumped in already*. Keep in mind this is not my daily driver, I bought it for a weekender and maybe someday it could usurp my 22re (I have a really short commute, so the mileage isn't a big deal).

Options (doesn't matter if I lose money, trying to make most of where I am at NOW):
1) $1200 fix at shop and SELL SELL SELL.
2) Don't fix at shop and SELL run cower bye puppy back to the pound. Sadly, this rescue didn't work out for you.
3) New engine - long block rebuild. Have the shop put it in. ($$$)
4) New engine - long block, and do it myself (not sure I have time, sadly)
5) New engine - long block rebuild, and convince someone to do this with/for me NOT at a big shop
6) Light on fire
7) Turn into a very nice planter for some raised beds I've been meaning to put in. Will likely require some cleaning first.

Which one?

Much love, yotatechers. Ya'll have contributed a lot to my disabling desire to rescue every sad old Toyota I see, which I'll never be able to shake or cure (I wish I was a better mechanic). I almost died of heartbreak for all the old Landcruisers when I worked in South America. [Cue Sally Struthers crying] "For just $1 a day, you can rescue this poor, neglected ancient Landcruiser and give it a new home"

*If you must know, it's around $4500 total.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I like the planter idea.

If this is more or less a project with no pressure why would you pay someone else $$$$ for work with some help you could do yourself??

I can understand if your working 12 hours or more a day 6 days a week time could be an issue.

These vehicles when you start paying labor get real expensive fast .

We all buy one or more of these vehicles some of us buy several I know I have.

If your deciding to bail do it now just as it sits take your loss remember the lessons learned pretty bodies and a super clean interior just means it was detailed.

I sure would not go with another 3.0 If your going to spend even more money go for a 3.4.

Looking at the price of newer vehicles if you get $10,000 to $ 12,000 into it your still ahead of buying new.

I have close to $15,000 or more if I would figure my labor in my 92 4runner 3.4 swap all stock but for the 3.4 swap.

This is a call only you can make.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I see the word "Mechanic" involved in a situation like this and I see $$$ signs and you are already wanting to bail. If it was only a motor and you wanted to pay for that I would go that route. There will be other issues. If you dont want to fix it yourself, I would say get out while you still can with least loss a possible.

One thing I do like is how the 2nd gen runners interiors do hold up. For as old as they are, most do still look great. I am 6 foot tall and is one reason I like the runners and extended cabs myself and can see why you would want a runner. It is really how bad you want to commit to this truck as far as time and money.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:26 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First question is how long do you intend to keep this vehicle?

The way I'd go personally provided you like the rig and the only other possible issue is vibration in the drivetrain is to take a serious look at 3.4/5vzfe swap before dumping any more money into the 3vze. ToyOnlySwaps.com do some pretty sweet conversions for ~$5k depending on your tranny. To ship your truck to them would probably be $500 plush however you decide to get it back...

Right now, the financials are you have a truck currently worth parts/junk value. Fixing it @ $1500 probably restores to about what you paid for it. Figure out which results in you taking a bigger loss and proceed accordingly. Also, @ $1500 you might also get some driving time in it.

Bottom line, is this truck a rig you want to keep for years or not?