Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PMed you cormel
Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM

PMed you back
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
Thanks man. Do you like your soft top? I think we have basically the same one. I got mine used for $150 on craigslist. Came with no instructions or anything, and it was a major pain in the ass to put it on and get everything close to right. But once the installation was over I fell in love with it. And it's so nice not needing another person to take the top down/off like the hardtop. And rolling up the back and sides is perfect when you want the open air without baking in the direct sunlight. The beach is tons of fun.
Yeah man I had pretty much the same situation happen to me. I bought it used of craigslist for about $200 and it has no instructions and is missing some hardware. Unlike you however I was lazy last summer and ended up not installing it (just kept the top off). My main problem was that I didn't want to drill into the body because of the possiblity of rust starting. Did you drill into the body or find another way of installing it? Either way after looking at your truck its making me want to install it seeing as it looks badass.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 PM

I might be picking up some new rear quarters at a discount price. Damn NH and all of our road salt.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by eightnine
Yeah man I had pretty much the same situation happen to me. I bought it used of craigslist for about $200 and it has no instructions and is missing some hardware. Unlike you however I was lazy last summer and ended up not installing it (just kept the top off). My main problem was that I didn't want to drill into the body because of the possiblity of rust starting. Did you drill into the body or find another way of installing it? Either way after looking at your truck its making me want to install it seeing as it looks badass.
I took a chance and drilled the holes. I figured the self-tapping screws would seal the holes pretty tightly. And the metal mounting strips have a soft material on the underside that I would think helps keep moisture out. I have yet to pull my metal strips up because it's such a pain in the butt, but I doubt there is any rust underneath. But I'm in Virginia. I don't know how bad stuff rusts in Canada. Here as long as you keep it clean and don't let mud or water sit on a certain panel it will stay rust free. We have snow on the roads maybe once a year for a day or two. So not much salt. Besides, the bedrails won't see salt. And your hard top keeps them pretty protected. It's your call, but I don't forsee me personally having any rust problems for a long while.

And when you mount yours, do yourself a favor and use something or somebody to hold the metal strips in place when you're trying to set up the right angles on the soft top bars. I messed up the positioning a couple times and drilled more holes than I needed to. I finally got it to a position I could deal with and left it.