86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Overdrive light flashing and car not moving

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive light flashing and car not moving

Okay so I was driving my 4runner and got home one night, everything was fine. so next morning getting ready to leave I jump in my runner and start to back out only that Im not getting any power the rpms are kicking up but the car isnt moving or at least very very little. so I figure the trans. filter, take that apart and nope nothing all clean. but when I shifted the car into 4low it works just not in 4high or in 2wd. I just dont know and Im getting sick a putting money into this POS and spending my time on it.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First of all, I would suggest that you put the info about your truck into a signature on your profile so that it shows up at the end of all your posts. At the very least, post up your info when you ask a question to save us from searching through your other posts to find out what your rig is.

That being said, it sounds like you have an electrical problem in one of the solenoids in your tranny. If this question is about your 1990 4Runner, with the A340H transmission, then use this procedure and read the codes from your transmission. Post up the results. That will help us help you.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 12-11-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, flashing OD light = code thrown
Old 12-11-2008, 12:54 PM

I really dont know how to use this site I am very new to it. but thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 03:57 PM

That's not a problem. Click on "User CP" near the top right of the page, then click on "Edit Signature", and put all the relevant info about your 4Runner in there so that it appears everytime you make a post. Let us know how you make out reading the codes on your tranny, too.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM

well I found a bad no. 2 solenoid in the transmission but when I went to the dealer to go get a new one, they handed me me a part that was nothing like the one on my car. But when I looked for the part on the web it came up with what looked like what I need the only difference was the wire coloring. the one I pulled from my car had two black wires and the one that is on the web has a black and orange wire. I took a look at my No.1 solenoid and it has a black and orange wire, do you think wire color will make a difference? I'm guess that the No. 2 solenoid make be the original which is why it has the black on black wiring. but I could be wrong. and Im sick of taking my transmission cover off.
O yeah I also tried reversing the no. 1 and 2 solenoids to see if the car would shift. nothing really happened now my car just wants to die when I put it in drive. I think I might have to get a new transmission.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM

So, what was the code that was stored causing your O/D light to flash?

I would go back to the Toyota parts department you were at, bring your old part in and an exploded view diagram of the tranny solenoids, with the correct solenoid circled, hand that to him, and say "I want one of these". There is no reason that the dealer can not get you the correct part.

Originally Posted by bluegreenwater_16
O yeah I also tried reversing the no. 1 and 2 solenoids to see if the car would shift. nothing really happened now my car just wants to die when I put it in drive. I think I might have to get a new transmission.
For this, what you are essentially doing is giving yourself a bad No. 1 solenoid, and I believe that with a bad No.1 solenoid, you will not have any 1st and 2nd gear in your tranny with the shifter in either "D" or "2", so your truck will be trying to take off in 3rd, which is probably why your truck wants to die when you put it in drive. With your current configuration (good No. 2 solenoid, and bad No. 1 solenoid), put the shifter in "L". If the No. 1 solenoid is the only problem, you should be able to drive like this (You will only have 1st and/or 2nd gear, though.

The part that bugs me is that with a bad No. 2 solenoid, 1st gear should have been available to you, so you should have been able to drive the truck a bit... you would not have been able to get into 2nd gear, though. From your original description, that doesn't sound like it was the case.

...and lastly, I re-read your first post, and saw that you said your truck drives in 4Low... does that mean it drives normally in 4Low, with the transmission shifting like it should, or did that just mean that you were able to get the truck moving in 4Low? The only solenoid that should cause a difference in operation between 4Low and 2WD High or 4WD High is the No. 4 solenoid. Have you tested that one?

As a final test of your tranny, you can unplug both the No. 1 and the No. 2 solenoids, and you should be able to drive around by doing "L" (1st gear), "2" (3rd gear), then "D" (O/D).

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 01-08-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 AM

Thats funny because that is what did, and she couldnt come up with what it was. they wanted to order the part just to make sure it was the right one... but I still would have to pay for just ordering the part.
the car stopped giving me the code when I revered the No. 1 and No.2 solenoids. but im positive the no. 2 is bad because I tested it myself. I still dont see why the car would still work in 4L
Some guy at "The Truck Stop" in San Diego said its either a vacuum problem or the clutch plates are bad. I just dont want to drop the money on rebuilding the transmission if its something as simple as replacing a bad solenoid
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 AM

Check this link out for the Solenoid kit.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=0

I just went through this issue withg the No.2 Solenoid. Check out my thread here.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ng-off-163385/
Old 01-10-2009, 04:06 PM

dude where did you find a kit that cheep? for just one solenoid is like 104 bucks out here. well I can try that and hope it works but the problem does sound the same like you had.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:34 PM

I found the kit doing a search on this board. Be sure not to mix the Lockup solenoid up with the other one. That one functions diferrently.

With the Bad No.2 Solenoid I was able to put the truck in D and rev to about 2500rpm for it to move. But shifting down into L the truck would take off fine.

Use this link to troubleshoot.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...31diagnosi.pdf
Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 AM

okay well I went okay to NAPA and bought a shifting solenoid and it came with the diagram and DANG it ended up being the lock up solenold I need to replace and NAPA doesnt carry it, and the dear has no idea what im talking about, I even took the part with me and said I need one of these and still had no idea what it was.
But my question is what is the purpose of the lock up solenoid?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bluegreenwater_16
But my question is what is the purpose of the lock up solenoid?
Should be to control the locking and unlocking of the torque converter.

EDIT: After re-reading your first post it looks like your stuck in the locked position. That would be like kind of like trying to drive a manual tranny without a clutch. The torque converter provides some slip to let you get going without stalling.

Try the dealer for it.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-07-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 AM

anyone selling a lock up solenoid?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:46 PM

okay so I got the lock up and put it in my tranny and it didnt work. so I took apart the 4wheel drive front end and moved the fork with my hand it felt like it was stuck so I cleaned up the front end and put it all back together and what do you know my truck is running again.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 PM

thanks for everyones help though I know a lot more about the tranny now
Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 PM

OKay now im pissed

my car was working fine for awhile but now if it sits and I go back and try to drive it, it doesnt move its doing the samething as before. but if I keep playing with it; like go through all the gears and 4wheel drive it slowly comes back to life but then the gears stick until I drive it for a bit then it starts to function normal. I've never seen this happen in my life. im so made im thinking about taking it into a tranny shop and getting the trans. rebuilt.
but im woundering if it could be a vac. problem
Old 03-23-2009, 03:23 AM

Throwing parts at it is wasting money. I re-read the whole thread, and never saw you post the code that your truck was giving you. Did you ever even get the codes pulled like we suggested?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:30 AM

I had the same exact issue happen to my truck. I have an 88 4runner with an auto (A340F). Would only move in 4-low.

I did a ton of re-searching on here and found the exact links as above. Difference was mine wasn't throwing any codes at all . I went ahead and ordered the solenoid kit from bulkparts. Becuase I didn't know which solenoid was bad (if at all), I just replaced all three. So far so good...no issue anymore.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

This is a nice little tech article about the A340 trannies. http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/9...20Transtec.pdf
Note at the end of it they say this:
8) It’s good practice to replace the shift
solenoids on all rebuilds since they’re prone
to clogging up.

Quick Reply: Overdrive light flashing and car not moving