86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinion on Limited Slip up front

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Mine is the same as hers and could be yours today.

Are yours and hers 4cyl or V6 units?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think there's any difference to the unit - just the bearings that go on it...
Old 06-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
I don't think there's any difference to the unit - just the bearings that go on it...
Reviving thread. I got the bearings changed from the 6 cyl (50MM) to the 4cyl (48MM) to put the TT in my truck. Not having any luck getting the axle stubs to stay in there. Is there anyone who has a TT in the front? And did you do anything to make it work? I called Eaton and they said it should fit. No other changes to be made other than the right bearings, which I did.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tc
Putting a locker in your IFS will make you reconsider if you need a SAS ...

unless you put a TruTrac in. Did I mention I HATE the TruTrac for 'wheeling?
I disagree, my IFS runner would never do the hard part of the rock garden in Spring Creek etc. ARB front and rear, even with an IFS bracket lift. It just doesn't have the flex or the height. There are some wicked wicked trails in CO that Toyota IFS just won't handle, you should know. I think for a DD that is driven to the snowboard mountain 3-4 times a week, a locker in the front would be a bad choice for me. I don't plan on using mine for any real hard wheeling as of yet, it is my DD. I've owned a well built solid axle truck and no locker in the front of my IFS rig could ever change my mind about the capability of a solid axle setup.

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 06-26-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:39 PM

love, I am planning on welding the front because I have a spare. I was planning on locking only one hub to eleviate the steering issues. Did you try this with your welded diff?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:26 PM
tc
Contributing Member

BS - both AxleIke and I have done the Spring Creek rock garden IFS ... takes different lines than SFA, that's for sure, but it can be done.

We took Molly's rig, but there is no doubt I could do French Creek in mine ... Jade did it with his Tacoma on 33's.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by tc
I have a trutrac in the front of the SAS'd truck.

I HATE IT.

Even those words don't seem strong enough.

It doesn't work when you really need it to (a wheel in the air), and works when you don't really need it to (turning on slick roads).

I HATE IT

The brake biasing thing works, but is super tricky and often VERY frustrating.
Spoken like a true limited-slip owner.

Tru-Tracs (and all other limited slips I've ever had experience with) absolutely blow offroad. They have all the frustrations of a locker (quirkiness in low traction on-road conditions), and none of the benefits (turning both wheels when a tire is lifted or otherwise freely spinning).

My brother had one in the rear of his Chevy Tahoe 4x4 some years back, and it honestly made me furious to try and drive the thing. It would actually conspire to get you even MORE stuck, because it would let you drive juuust a little further than an open diff before it pulled the power from one wheel. Yeah, you could kind of make it work a little by modulating the brakes, but what a giant pain in the ass.

If it works for some of you, I'm glad, but it sure didn't appeal to me.

Last edited by Crawdad; 06-26-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bet the Truetrac would work pretty well with the FJ Cruiser's ATRAC- the whole point of ATRAC is to apply the brakes to the spinning wheel. I know that isn't related to 86-95 truck.

I'm still pretty interested in this diff, as I don't usually have a problem with traction, unless there is a lot of snow on the trail.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:05 PM

i have bean thinking about runing heil coil lsd for the front forsome time now

and i have trick for the brakes as well i have line lock

perset front breaks push button front is now locked
Old 09-11-2009, 12:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nashman00
i have bean thinking about runing heil coil lsd for the front forsome time now

and i have trick for the brakes as well i have line lock

perset front breaks push button front is now locked
In English please?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Truetrac in my rear end. I'm holding out on gearing front/rear right now because I'm gonna score some elockers F/R ..

I got the Truetrac over a locker for two reasons.. at the time i needed a differential replacement, the stock unit was toast. But I wanted an upgrade and ofcourse my luck at the time I couldnt find ANY stock open dif's to shuv in there. Go figure.

I scored the Truetrac for 300 off summit (was on sale at the time).

So there ya go, ive been running it for 4 years. Love it? No .. is it better than stock and tough as nails? Hell yea!

for a DD, it's great upgrade. and definetly helps a lot offroad! You get used to it if you let yourself.

I'm Solid Axle tho, I wouldn't waste a dime on IFS imo. I know tC is hard on for IFS and defends it to the death. IT works for him, but I'm so happy my IFS is now a pile of scrap metal.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:46 PM

line lock are used for drag cars so they can do burn out easyer with out frying you rear brakes

i have spare line lock that i could use to applie my brakes and lock my front ture track lsd so if one tire get air born i wonte have any issues

other gains are
a secound e brake
and less likly to over shoot the top of hill or big rock
Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drew303
I know tC is hard on for IFS and defends it to the death.
I wouldn't say that ... I would say

Originally Posted by drew303
IT works for him
Absolutely, and I can guarantee I 'wheel harder than 90% of the people on here, so IN GENERAL, IFS should work for them too.

I have said a number of times that if you want to 'wheel trails like Sledgehammer regularly, you need a SFA ... but then, to wheel those kinds of trails regularly, you probably also need a tow rig and trailer. You DEFINITELY need no concern for body damage or glass damage.

My desire to avoid body/glass damage and my driving ability limit the capability of the truck FAR more than the front suspension does. Well over 90% of the people on here have even LESS tolerance for body/glass damage than I do, so why do they need a SFA?

One thing a lotof people don't know or seem to forget is that I have 2 '93 4Runners, one is manual tranny with crawler, ARB's front/rear, 33's, essentially stock suspension - and the other is automatic, SAS for 35's, trutrac front/detroit rear, 63" Chevies, and have run both on the same trail on the same day. VERY few people I know have the opportunity to make such a direct comparison, and the IFS rig will keep right on with the SFA rig up until you get big enough that you're cosidering you'd really like a buggy about now...
Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Put the same amount of money you put into your SAS into your ifs and you wouldn't be disapointed.

Its easy to rag on an IFS system thats old and worn (why people hate theirs so much) and then rave about your fresh SFA setup...

My $0.02