Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

One-eyed monster: sealed beam question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm broke too. So when the passenger side went out, I bought two more sealed beams for $32.00. I don't know what the fuss is all about, headlights are headlights. If you need more light wait until about 6:30-7AM and drive then.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bako88
I'm broke too. So when the passenger side went out, I bought two more sealed beams for $32.00. I don't know what the fuss is all about, headlights are headlights. If you need more light wait until about 6:30-7AM and drive then.
You've never been to Vancouver, Canada, right now, sun rises at 10:45 am, and sets at 2pm. You NEED good headlights.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Because now I have a set of lenses that have been designed for years of use. Have had R&D put into the lense pattern. Plus I never have to throw one out to replace a burned out bulb.
And I get to pick and chose what kind of bulb I want to run

as for headlights are headlights?

no its not that cut and dry!

low-beam and unaimed!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Reading this thread this morning cursed me. One of my low beams went out on the way home tonight. 2 halogen replacements were $18 from advanced. I'm cheap and just went with sealed beam replacements.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 PM

You've never been to Vancouver, Canada, right now, sun rises at 10:45 am, and sets at 2pm. You NEED good headlights.
You are right Matt. I am always the first to admit I am spoiled growing up in Southern California. I can't even imagine adjusting to 4 hours of sun and sub 0 temps. That's why there are 30+ million people crowded in down here in this little area. You guys are way tougher than me.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:11 AM

haha, Vancouver has the nicest climate in all of Canada., nothing tough about living here except for the possibility of drowning while you walk with all the precipitation.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Two common problems of premature halogen bulb failures are getting fingerprints on the bulbs while installing them (that makes dark spots on the bulb that overheat and burn out - i.e. do not touch the bulbs with your bare hands/fingers/etc.) and running with insufficient voltage at the bulb due to inadequate headlight wiring. Halogen type bulbs must get above a certain operating temperature (about 750F) in order for their internal halogen gas-tungsten vapor reaction to take place. If they don't get to that operating temperature, your fancy halogen bulb works more like an old fashioned flash bulb (i.e. they burn out very fast).
Its a sealed beam headlight...even if I wanted too their is no possibility of me touching it. And, the voltage to the lights is fine. My cheap ass wal mart lights work flawlessly, but apparently silverstars didn't hold up worth a pile of crap.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
I installed 4crawlers upgraded harness and noticed a big difference on mine:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#WiringHarness

Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 AM

You are right Matt. I am always the first to admit I am spoiled growing up in Southern California. I can't even imagine adjusting to 4 hours of sun and sub 0 temps. That's why there are 30+ million people crowded in down here in this little area. You guys are way tougher than me.
Rode my motorcycle to work this morning.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Its a sealed beam headlight...even if I wanted too their is no possibility of me touching it. And, the voltage to the lights is fine. My cheap ass wal mart lights work flawlessly, but apparently silverstars didn't hold up worth a pile of crap.
I read a huge peice on the Silvania silverstars. Apperantly they draw more current then the filiment can stand as to up the light output. The light just burns out quicker. The Osram silverstars are good though!

Originally Posted by Windsor
Rode my motorcycle to work this morning.
Have fun in the summer heat down there
Old 01-07-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
I read a huge peice on the Silvania silverstars. Apperantly they draw more current then the filiment can stand as to up the light output. The light just burns out quicker. The Osram silverstars are good though!

Have fun in the summer heat down there
Osram is the same company as Sylvania, though I've seen some stuff labeled Osram and some labeled Sylvania.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:06 PM

Osram is the same company as Sylvania, though I've seen some stuff labeled Osram and some labeled Sylvania.
I just pulled my SilverStar Ultras today to put in the XtraVisions and they say Osram on them and Made in Germany, so they just may be different models based on market.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a cheap sealed beam to get you through for now. Get some hella H4 conversions later (about $80-$90 for the whole deal, depending on where you get them)

That being said, the hella's are a great improvement over stock sealed beam. One thing to consider is that you will see a very drastic improvement over the sealed beams, and that is helped out by the fact that your sealed beams (at least one of them anyways) are old. All bulbs will dim over time slowly, and you wont notice it. You will see this first hand, as the new sealed beam you put in will be brighter than the one you didn't replace. If money is tight, I would just spend the extra couple bucks and replace both sealed beams at the same time.

Another note about the hella "e-codes". They are the same exact thing as the hella's that are dot approved for use in the United States, with one small difference: They don't throw a small amount of light up and to the right like the dot ones do. The reason for this is that here in the states we don't illuminate all of our street signs, we are cheap and just make them reflective. This is probably useless information to you as you live in Canada. The reason why everyone thinks that the E-codes are all-that-and-a-bag-of-Doritos is because they have a "cleaner" cut off line due to the missing upwards flare of light on the right hand side. They are not any brighter and they don't do anything better, other than getting you a ticket from an officer with too much time.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:03 PM

Headlights in Canada need to be DOT as well we don't illuminate our road signs either. TO be honest, I would like to be able to see street signs at night. My OEM GPS in the dash only gives me coordinates like 101.1 FM.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
haha, Vancouver has the nicest climate in all of Canada., nothing tough about living here except for the possibility of drowning while you walk with all the precipitation.

Stop looking up!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hophead
Stop looking up!
Good idea! Best advice I have gotten since I moved here. Sheer genius.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:54 PM

I got my pay check and it was a little more than i thought it would be (they paid me for those hours I was sleeping at my desk!?), so I went out and bought a single GE Nighthawk headlight. If its any good, I may buy another later too so both sides match

Gotta say, that wiring harness looks WEAK! Those wires are TINY.

Last edited by Matt16; 01-09-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

I like the GE nighthawks. I bought set for my sisters truck for her birthday. I originally got the silverstars (girlfriend has them). They are nice and bright (blueish light) but in the rain they suck balls! They also don't last too long.

The GE's are a little on the yellow side so they provide more visable light in the dark rainy nights. I notice that my white lights are not as good as my yellow(er) fogs ...
Old 01-10-2009, 06:15 PM

I've already got fogs, so the addition of yellow-ish Nighthawks should be great for the fog.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headlights in Canada need to be DOT as well we don't illuminate our road signs either. TO be honest, I would like to be able to see street signs at night. My OEM GPS in the dash only gives me coordinates like 101.1 FM.
Hella h4 conversion is european code, which is 100% legal in all of Canada.

You'd be very happy with them. I put them in all cars that fit 6054 lamps.

Quick Reply: One-eyed monster: sealed beam question