86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil Leaking at Timing Cover Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey there,

I had a leak from between the headd and the top of the timing cover after I did my chain job (ENGNBLDR). Turned out that the head gasket material there was toast so I caut it out with a razor blade. That created a gap, where oil leaked (only leaked AFTER shutting engine down).

I ended up using some JB weld to fill the gap and it's been solid ever since.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about it being hard to remove the head when I need to do the gasket or a rebuild, but I'll cross that bridget when I get there.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys,
I removed the timing cover and cleaned everything. Then I slept on it and did some searching (soul and forum). I figure that if I put the cover back on with fipg at the head and it leaks only at the head then I will have to pull the head off but will be able to leave the cover on. Worst case scenario I have an oil leak and I end up having to remove the head one time.
Keep in mind that this head only has 10K mi and does not need any other work.

I cut off the head gasket with a wood chisel and cleaned the head where it contacts the timing cover, and removed the oil pump to give me more movement when reinstalling the timing cover. Need to get a new gasket set and some fipg today. I am going to go for it tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Right on, Buck, ....and in a case like yours, I might have tried the same thing...... I'm just too OCD after all the drama/gremlin hunting/oil leaks I've had BECAUSE the first builder didn't do it 'right, the first time', lol.

Wood chisel? Both surfaces are aluminum, so I'm curious what you mean? lol.

Also, on the oil pan, especially, make sure you remove all that, then re-FIPK it(I would, anyway)... Cuz that section of the pan can leak fairly easily if it's not a good tight seal on dry surfaces. I would use alcohol to REALLY dry up the pan/bottom of pan surfaces before installing...then blob the pan portion with FIPK and slide the cover in. Did you clean the pan sealant off? Or just clean it up really good and dry and then re-install the cover? Just curious.

Best wishes on this, man! I'm sure IT CAN work, and I hope it does for you
Old 02-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wood chisel? Both surfaces are aluminum, so I'm curious what you mean? lol.

Did you clean the pan sealant off? Or just clean it up really good and dry and then re-install the cover? Just curious.
I placed the chisel up against the gasket then folded it down and up a few times until the gasket came off.

I scraped everything off of all surfaces then wiped them down with brake cleaner. I will give it a last minute wipe down with brake cleaner before applying FIPG and after a moment of silence to use as I wish.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i janked up my timing cover install the same way - caught on front edge of the HG and ended up having to cut it off. guess what...mine leaks from here as well as one of the bolts like yours

because i'm lazy and hardly ever drive the truck anymore, i've been planning to clean everything up from the exterior VERY well with solvent, then goober on some FIPG over the outside of the seam like Philbert did with JB Weld. not sure if it'll work, but that's what i'm going to try first instead of spending all day taking the thing apart again. i always figured i'd just leave it alone until i get funds to fully rebuild my 22re since it burns a little oil and has over 200k on it - but after almost 2yrs i'm getting sick up looking at the oil puddle
Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 PM

So you're Brakleaning the oil pan and timing cover/head surfaces, but not removing the oil pan FIPG on that portion? Maybe rough it up a lil and then apply a thin coat(unless I'm missing something, lol). You know, just to get the fresh fipg to stick well to the pan sealant that's already there?

Best wishes on this, Buck,.... hoping for the best for ya!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Mark,
Thanks for the input. I have cleaned all gasket surfaces down to bare metal including the front of the oil pan.

Last edited by Buck87; 02-01-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 AM

Excellent. I mean, when we're doing things in a 'bypass' way, ........... might as well do it as thoroughly as possible, eh? lol.

Have at it, man!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Update,
I think that I am going to change the head gasket, because that is where it is leaking from now. I will try to seal it up but I doubt that I will have much success. It looks as if the timing cover is ok so I don't have to do that again.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 PM

Bummer, man... Well, half of it, anyhow. You'll get it done pretty quick, right?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Baby steps,
The leak in the head was coming from the bolt hole that goes through the head to the timing cover. The little reservoir around that bolt would drain out while the truck was sitting; so I smeared some more sealant around the cover to head then removed the hidden cover bolt but some sealant there and tightened it back up. That looks good, but now I see oil accumulating on top of the oil pump relief valve plug.
I want to put some sealant on the plug tonight and let it sit over night, but since today is my 14th wedding anniversary I may not get to it until tomorrow. I could do it right now but it is so nice to have my ride back on the road I cant resist driving her today.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Dude, congratz on 14 years! That's pretty amazing nowadays!

Yeah, do what you can, but I think just taking a day.5 to knock this out, once and for all, the right way.... well, might just be worth your time. Especially considering you've spent probably 10+ hours, already, trying to do it in a 'get by' way, right?

Leaking from the oil pump relief valve? Where the spring is? That's unusual, ... maybe just wasn't tight? Could be the seal in there blown out?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Yea wierd but, a good Toyota mechanic friend of mine told me not to take off the head if the problem is with the timing cover. Can't see taking off the head because the oil pump is leaking. But we'll see.

Last edited by Buck87; 02-08-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM

Oh yeah, not just for the pump, NO WAY.... didn't mean that. I meant, if it continues to leak from the top of the cover/head surfaces..... that can really be something well worth fixing the first time, the right way, ya know? I mean, you can't install a HG without removing the head, obviously, ahhaha.... So I just meant that, ya know? He's right... if you can plug it up for good, or 20K, whatever, ... why bother digging further!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, I'll let you know. So far the head part is looking ok. We'll see.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've found my brethen of the Holy Wrench!

Lots of great information here guys. I've been fighting an oil leak on my '91 22RE 4WD pick up for many years now. (I'm ashamed to say how many.)
Long story short, I had the engine rebuilt and the clutch replaced, (it's a 5 speed standard tranny)by a hoghly recommended engine shop in the next state over. When I got it back it leaked oil. They came and got the truck, took it back to their shop at least twice but never completely fixed the problem. I got tired of messing with these clowns and set about repairing their screw up myself.
Found it was coming from the timing chain cover, I am now on my third timing chain cover and second oil pan gasket and the sucker still pours oil.
When you get under the truck you can't see where it's coming from but it is all over the bottom of the engine. It only leaks when the engine is running.I've been under the truck with the engine running and still don't see where it's coming from.
Anyway, I was thinking it was coming out of the front shaft seal and slinging all over everything and that's why I can't see WHERE it's coming from, but it's all over the place.
I told myself I wouldn't go back into this thing without a better plan, but you guys have given me some hope and some ideas. The last time I went into this thing was 4th of July week last year I took off work to do the job. it was so damn hot here in North Florida that nearly died of heat stroke. (No I don't have an air conditioned garage I'm just a working slob) So I'm not waiting that long this time.
Now that I think about it I'm not so sure I replaced the main oil seal when I did this last time because a few other things cropped up that I had to do that didn't plan on. Timing chain and guides, oil pump spline gear was bad, etc.
This really is the only thing wrong with the truck so I guess I'll give her another whirl. I'll let you fellahs know how it turns out. Thanks for all the good information!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM

Dbilf.....

I wont bother telling you not to highjack, ....I'll leave that to buck, lol...

But just a brief couple questions.....

1. Did you use a front main seal that's OEM???(They are very narrow and ride on different grooves of the harmonic.....)

2. Did you 'GREASE' the inside lip of the Front main seal?(You're probably aware, ...but just throwing it out there, as it's the #1 CAUSE of premature front main failure(Ok, that didn't sound right, but you know what I mean! lol).

3. You said something that caught my eye, RIGHT OFF......... "oil pan gasket"........ Are you using a cork gasket? If so, that is, 100% SURE, at least PART of your problem...... From the FSM, in my words, lol, ......."After 85, DO NOT use a gasket. Apply RTV evenly and generously(especially careful to make sure you apply it INSIDE/toward the crank side of the bolt holes in the pan and apply a little RTV to each oil pan bolt)." MANY on here learn that the hard way..... And if that ''respected shop" used a gasket, ..OH BOY, it's time to visit "YELP", lol. (You may have just mispoke/I may have misread it... so let us know).

4. Did you apply RTV to the Upper/Middle Oil Pump Mounting Bolt???? If not, MOST DEFINITELY you are going to be experiencing leaks from there.... And it leaks right down into the back of the oil deflector shield.... Pretty sure, I'd have to look, lol. Either way, it WILL leak if you didn't coat that bolt, as it IS directly in an oil passage.

5. Have you started a thread yet? DO SO, and please, post the link here so those of us who want to stop by can do so without searching for it? Thanks and best wishes!

BTW, WOW, "Join Date; March 2010"..... And this is your first post? hehehe.... I did that for a lil while too, lol.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Back at ya

Thanks, Chef for all the great information. Yes, I have a gasket on the oil pan and it's a real pain in the keester to replace in a 4WD as you must know. No one ever said anything to me about not using one in all my dealings with this truck. I am slowly learning the immense value of this website. When I first registered I just kind of browsed around and forgot about it. (That's not entirely true, I was so impressed with the layout and concept of the site I have tried to make one of my own about machines I work on in my job, hint, it's not automotive)
And as far as the other tips about sealer on the bolts and the front seal. I think I am armed and ready to tackle this thing again,.
Once again thanks loads, I am a real Toyota fan, they have always been the best automobiles I have ever owned, I drive one and my son drives a Four runner almost as old as my truck, so you'll be hearing more from me no doubt.
I'll start a thread as soon as I have more information to share.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 AM

Ah HAHHHHH! I had a strong feeling it was the gasket(in part).... I THINK I did quite enough write up/videos/ on my oil pan fix/timing chain technical advice, etc.(All the stuff that I'd picked up/learned by trial and error). Not sure where in my long build thread....but it's there. I think I have a thread on 'oil leaking from timing cover', as well... But I think it's all in my build. I'll be digging through there for other stuff for someone, and I'll throw up a permalink for ya(maybe in a PM to avoid Jacking Buck's thread any longer).

Kill it! hahaha.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

No worries.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaking at Timing Cover Bolts