Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

This is not suposed to be bent...plz help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
okay, so what if it was missing... say on a 4runner like mine? what could that mean??

dont mean to hijack, just trying to piggyback...
Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The panhard is there to stabilize the vehicle from body roll with the coil spring set up. I guess if it's not bothering you, it's nothing to worry about. Would make it a bit safer in an emergency situation, though.....what with them being top heavy and all.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no, the panhard bar, centers the rear axle under the truck
Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't mind the dent in the bumper i put in it tonight

the pics cut off, but the top of the bar is running along the ege of the photo, almost perfectly horizontal, which centers the axle

and no thats not rust, its dirty!

ca=not a lot of cars with tons of rust
Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
no, the panhard bar, centers the rear axle under the truck
Which negates body roll...if I'm using the correct terminology there. Race cars use them to stabilize the vehicle better in hard turns.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Which negates body roll...if I'm using the correct terminology there. Race cars use them to stabilize the vehicle better in hard turns.
I didn't konw that actually. I think the effect relative to the swaybar is limited, but here is what some MGB website has to say about panhard rods and body roll:

You should take roll centres into account when fitting a Panhard Rod to any car. If the rear roll centre is too high then the rear of the car will not roll enough resulting in oversteer. If the rear roll centre is too low you could have understeer. Panhard Rods make roll centre calculation easy - the height of the Panhard Rod is the height of roll centre. I have mounted mine on the centre line of the axle to aid packaging. It may have been bettre to mount the rod a little lower, but it would probably be a bad idea to mount it any higher.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:02 AM

isnt that the lspv? Thats what it looks like to me.... when there is weight in the rear, the rear sags a bit... that bar is connected to a valve that controls how much brake pressure goes to the rear wheels... more weight = more rear brake power... less weight = less rear braking power.... i believe you can bypass it all together.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 AM

Nope. The LSPV bar is higher up on the axle and much thinner in diameter. I don't see that he has one, though. Hard to tell.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Panhard has nothing really to do with body roll (thats a sway bar)...it locates the axle laterally under the truck. It keeps the axle from tilting forward or backward under load. The trailing arms locate the axle longitudinally
Old 08-26-2008, 06:36 AM

Hmmm.....yeah, I see what you're saying. I must've misunderstood what I've read about it. I'm pretty sure I'd read that it helps the body (which is attached to the frame) from leaning to far over in hard turns. Though, I guess that was a while back.

Well.....even Matt's excerpt up there says that, does it not? Do I misunderstand again?>> "Roll centre"<<
Old 08-26-2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Nope. The LSPV bar is higher up on the axle and much thinner in diameter. I don't see that he has one, though. Hard to tell.
thats what it looks like on my rig.... minus the bend of course, I imagine that the bar being bent that much, would make it lower. Also.... he said bone stock... its a 95... didnt those come from the factory with lspv's? I have seen many runners, and never seen one (92-95) that didnt have one, Stock any way.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Team420
thats what it looks like on my rig.... minus the bend of course, I imagine that the bar being bent that much, would make it lower. Also.... he said bone stock... its a 95... didnt those come from the factory with lspv's? I have seen many runners, and never seen one (92-95) that didnt have one, Stock any way.
Yes I am sure it has one...its just up behind the spare tire and on top of the axle...just cant see it in that pic
Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 AM

heres an axle I have out in the shop.....

Notice the valve thingy

And a look from under the back of my truck

I can see how it would help with roll, when cornering too, I think it also does activate the brakes when cornering.

*sorry for pic quality, my wife has the cam, and all i have is my phone*

Last edited by Team420; 08-26-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 AM

Yeah...I wasn't trying say that they don't come with one. They do. My '92 has one. I just meant, like dirtoyboy said, I can't tell if his still has it.

Anyway, compare the size of what he has circled to your LSPV rod. You'll see they are different in size.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:57 AM

Or maybe I am just confused about what the lspv really is
Old 08-26-2008, 06:59 AM

ahhh..... its called the lateral rod....and the lspv connects to it....my bad.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 AM

heres an axle I have out in the shop.....

Notice the valve thingy

And a look from under the back of my truck

I can see how it would help with roll, when cornering too, I think it also does activate the brakes when cornering.

*sorry for pic quality, my wife has the cam, and all i have is my phone*
It seems to me I'm either confusing what you're trying to point out or you're confusing parts.

The LSPV has nothing to with vehicle stablization in the same way torsion bars, trailing arms, or panhards do. It distributes brake load from front to rear and vice versa. That thick bar....about 1" in diameter is the panhard. The thin one above it running along the top of the axle.....3/8" in diam....is the valve rod. Are we on the same page here?

As well.........in the first pic you see it (the valve rod) has been cut off to about 1ft in length and just resting on top of the axle. Or, differential rather.

Last edited by thook; 08-26-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:02 AM

ahhh..... its called the lateral rod....and the lspv connects to it....my bad.
LPSV is a load sensing proportion valve....there is no (suspension) load (other than a rod sensing how far the suspension is compressed) placed on any component of it...its part of your braking system not suspension

Last edited by dirtoyboy; 08-26-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:02 AM

Yes.... my bad... I was confused.... the fsm calls it the lateral rod, and I can see by looking at it, that the lspv is connected to it.... I thought they were the one part..... lol...learn something new everyday.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
LPSV is a load sensing proportion valve....there is no (suspension) load placed on any component of it...its part of your braking system not suspension
hmmm... I was under the impression that, when the vehicle has weight, it will affect the position of the valve, thus changing flow... I would also imagine.. the same thing happens when cornering. Maybe I need to read more about it...lol I also thought they worked together... suspension change+ braking change...

Last edited by Team420; 08-26-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Quick Reply: This is not suposed to be bent...plz help