Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No compression 94 22re help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
First, run another compression test with oil in the cylinders or do a leakdown. Don't just take my word for it. Unless it's just not a big deal to you to pull everything apart. But, when valves are bent, you have to, of course, pull the head and send it to a machine shop where they rebuild them. They do whatever machining that needs doing and install new valves with seals. Honestly, I don't know the entire process, but that's what fixes the situation.

I'm pretty sure I have pics of what my bent valves look like after getting all my goodies back from the machine shop. I'll have a look for them and post back tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will do another compression test first and get back to you on the findings. Prob not til tomorrow as i'm working a double today. Thanks as always.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM

Thook could be right if a number of valves are bent then none would have compression, Like he said i would do the compression text one more time with oil in the cylinders then take the head off. Thats the only way to get a def answer!!! keep us posted man and goodluck!!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:32 PM

Aye, but I did not take pics of the valves, apparently. Just all the other carnage....
Old 08-24-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time to pull the head off......

You can't mess around with timing like that on a 22r its an interference engine.(Meaning that the piston will hit valves if the valve is open when the piston comes up to "TDC.")

Usually on a 22r the intake valves get bent but more can get bent as well...

How did you do the compression check? Did you have a "screw in" gauge? Those ones that just "pop in" really suck... Squirt some oil in the cyls and see if it raises it.... it should raise it about 10%.

Try another gauge.... If its reading exactly zero then theres a really big hole somewhere...

On the timing chain before you took it apart... Did you line it up TDC? How did it line up or did it?

You can easily get that cam 180 degrees out if you don't know WTF your doing.

A broke crank is not likely and the very last thing on the list of "Well it could be this:"

Cam timing mark and 12 o'clock
Crank timing mark at 6 o'clock

^If not then you are wrong....

IF its right with no compression more than liekly bent valves....

Time to pull the head off....
Old 08-24-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Time to pull the head off......

You can't mess around with timing like that on a 22r its an interference engine.(Meaning that the piston will hit valves if the valve is open when the piston comes up to "TDC.")

Usually on a 22r the intake valves get bent but more can get bent as well...

How did you do the compression check? Did you have a "screw in" gauge? Those ones that just "pop in" really suck... Squirt some oil in the cyls and see if it raises it.... it should raise it about 10%.

Try another gauge.... If its reading exactly zero then theres a really big hole somewhere...

What do you mean by a big hole? Like in the tester or in the motor?

On the timing chain before you took it apart... Did you line it up TDC? How did it line up or did it?

You can easily get that cam 180 degrees out if you don't know WTF your doing.

A broke crank is not likely and the very last thing on the list of "Well it could be this:"

Cam timing mark and 12 o'clock
Crank timing mark at 6 o'clock

^If not then you are wrong....

Since when should the crank mark be at 6 o'clock when the cam is at 12?

IF its right with no compression more than liekly bent valves....

Time to pull the head off....
????????????

Last edited by thook; 08-24-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could always just take a step back and start from zero...

Crank pulley at 0* and cam gear at 12:00 or 6:00. If it's at 6:00, just rotate it again.

Then make sure your button is on #1.

Why do this?

B/c w/o this it won't even run, period.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 PM

Yep, I had all timing correct as stated above and used a screw in gauge. Got a friend who came by and looked at it today and he's certain head needs to come off and assess valve damage(and hopefully no piston damage). Getting on it tomorrow and will see if I can get camera because well pics are more fun. Thanks for all your help and will update with revelations or complications along the way. ...Seems I can get a new head fairly cheap though. Find out tomorrow what's the deal. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:58 PM

You guys say the 22re is a interference motor. Riddle me this. I had a chain break and when it did it hit the starter to restart as i was in traffic and it spun over a lot and never touched a valve. The chain was broken and laying in the bottom of the pan when I tore it a part. I put a new timing set in and that engine ran a long time after. Why did it not touch any valve ?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 PM

Timing. It's that simple. Some people have had the same thing happen with no valve damage. The valves/cam just has to be in the right spot for it to not happen. Your chain broke, so the cam stopped spinning in just that magical spot. You got quite lucky, bubba.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 PM

guess i should have bought a lottery ticket.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:33 PM

With your luck, I'll spring for the ticket come another 80k or so miles. We can split it four ways; a quarter to me, a quarter to you, and the other two quarters to our Yota funds!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:11 PM

Ok! Deal
Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 PM

Hey my truck needs a cut to haha!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:21 PM

Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 PM

To check that your timing is not screwing it up just take out all your rocker adjuster screws so that none of the valves open. See if you can crank the engine by hand (or bar). If you still have no compression, yanky the head, your valves are screwed.

Last edited by Flash319; 08-25-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by BrianJE
You guys say the 22re is a interference motor. Riddle me this. I had a chain break and when it did it hit the starter to restart as i was in traffic and it spun over a lot and never touched a valve. The chain was broken and laying in the bottom of the pan when I tore it a part. I put a new timing set in and that engine ran a long time after. Why did it not touch any valve ?
They are interference (says Toyota but I have never sat down and measured) but not by much. I have had the same thing. Chain went buy buy on highway (think automatic trans saved valves, maybe). New chain and guides and away I went.

Same thing with Honda motors. I have had belts break and no damage, but sometimes valves get smashed. Just depends on where the cam is when it lets go I guess.......
Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
To check that your timing is not screwing it up just take out all your rocker adjuster screws so that none of the valves open. See if you can crank the engine by hand (or bar). If you still have no compression, yanky the head, your valves are screwed.

Nice trick! I'll keep that one in mind. Though, I'll never need to do that now that BrianJE is my lottery cohort.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:05 AM

Got caught up on another projecy last couple days. Gonna do Flash's trick with the rocker screws out. From there i' most likely gonna take the head off and have a looksy.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:36 PM

Well just got the head off and it don't look good. All 4 pistons are dinged or should I say gouged on the intake side. Going to post pics of this shortly.

Quick Reply: No compression 94 22re help!