Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New springs... but the rear is still a hair lower than the front. What's up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New springs... but the rear is still a hair lower than the front. What's up?

Reading up a little on the typical Toyota rear-end sag, I took the recommendation of seeking out some new rear springs.

On the advice of another owner, I picked up a set of MOOG variable rears, Part # CC255, from Rock Auto. $65 for the set and they arrived on my door in 3-days? Can't complain so far.

So I get 'em in and all seems OK. I can now see out my rear view mirror more than about 25 yards behind me. Need to adjust my headlights... but that's going to be easy.

So a week later I'm noticing that the new springs didn'r completly level out the truck. The running boards (which will soon be removed in favor of a pair of sliders) don't exactly seem level to the ground. The rear still looks like its an inch or two lower than the front.

Now some of this is an optical illusion... as I see the rear wheel well isn't cut as high as the front. But the front is still riding higher. Realisticly about an inch.

So what's wrong?

Has my front end been raised up?

Do I need new shocks in the rear, too?

Some other option witing my budget (as a third car/weekend driver/dog/winter/camping car... nothing too serious)?

Any opinions appreciated.

Mike H
Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well since you bought Moog, the springs you bought where probably stock height and not a lifted spring. and since you probably dont want to buy new lift springs the only thing i can recommend is a very small coil spacer maybe .5-1" coil spacer would do the trick. Shocks may or may not make a difference, it depends how old and how much wear there is on your current ones. if you get stiffer shocks there would be a difference compared to soft shocks.
If you want a pic to see how high 1" lift PP springs lifted my truck PM me.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shocks do NOTHING to ride height. That's not your problem. Do you have weight in the back? Most go with 1-2" lift springs to visually equal out the truck. Not a bad option, but you've already bought springs.

I'd investigate 1" coil spacers, or do like I'm leaning towards and go airbags. Since you (and I) aren't doing any serious offroad I can see only benefit to bagging the coils. Pump up for towing / camping and down for day-to-day.