86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Front Bumper on - Courtesy of Addicted Offroad

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
wow those are some nice pics! I wish they were larger resolution; a lot of those would make for AWESOME backgrounds
awh thanks.. I have full res of every pic on the site (4288x2848), I uploaded 1024x versions to save on load times.. If you'd like a high res of anything give me a PM on which one, and I'll send you a link to a res for your background.

And Cale, [ IMG ] picture link [ / IMG ] (no spaces) and you have a pic on here..
Old 12-24-2009, 05:35 AM

Thanx Kev I special!!!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Hey Scotty, any specific pictures you'd like of Cales truck to show off the bumper?

Last edited by exist; 12-24-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:30 PM

have/could you make one of these bumpers for a second gen yota (84 runner) that fits a 8274 winch...
Old 12-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by bleakhorizon
have/could you make one of these bumpers for a second gen yota (84 runner) that fits a 8274 winch...
No, because the winch mount is not designed for it. However, there have been a couple of mine modified for the 8274. You will need to cut the grill out and do some fabwork to modify it.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Funny. I was searching for some winch comparo info and came across this thread. Funny because I bought the 4Runner in the original post off of RiNky a year ago April.

The bumper is definitely tough and I went with the 4Crawler Turn Signal Elimination Mod, but I do have one complaint. There is no room for a winch. I had to hack out a lot of the grille around the control box and even around the clutch lever to get an average sized winch to fit.

Take a look:

Not sure why there isn't more space...

Otherwise, its a great setup.

EDIT - difficult to see, but the control box is sunk in a square shaped hole I cut out about 1.5". Note the vertical rib in the grille is over the control box.

Last edited by angrybob; 08-04-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:38 AM

Can't you move that control box on the top to either the side or put it inside the engine bay?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by angrybob
Funny. I was searching for some winch comparo info and came across this thread. Funny because I bought the 4Runner in the original post off of RiNky a year ago April.

The bumper is definitely tough and I went with the 4Crawler Turn Signal Elimination Mod, but I do have one complaint. There is no room for a winch. I had to hack out a lot of the grille around the control box and even around the clutch lever to get an average sized winch to fit.

Take a look:

Not sure why there isn't more space...

Otherwise, its a great setup.

EDIT - difficult to see, but the control box is sunk in a square shaped hole I cut out about 1.5". Note the vertical rib in the grille is over the control box.
What size winch is that?

FWIW, I have never had to cut the grill for a non-integrated solenoid. Even on my 3rd gen bumpers. You just need to get more creative for mounting the solenoid box.

And, that free spool handle is really long.

I'm guessing this is a BIG winch.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Can't you index that end of the winch....?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 PM

Superwinch LP8500 - 8500# standard entry-level (I would call it) winch. I think this has been discontinued by now.

Yeah I could have custom wired a lot of things, but why is that necessary? I'm not trying to pick a fight...the bumper is very well made. Its strange to me though that a model specific bumper can't fit a standard sized winch on the winch plate without a Dremel. But you are right, with a little creativity, some fab work, and some wiring, I could have left the grille intact. I just didn't expect it.

As far as the lever goes, that's what came with it. This truck is not a show vehicle. It's now destined for a life of weekend warrior rock crawling duties. If I wanted pretty, I would have mod'd the install for sure.

This whole thing came up because I have the opportunity to swap out my winch with a buddy who is selling his Jeep with a Warn XD9000i (a much better winch). After taking some measurements, I would need a sawz'all to get that to fit in the provided mounting holes. There are other bigger complications as to why I'm not doing the swap though.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by angrybob
Superwinch LP8500 - 8500# standard entry-level (I would call it) winch. I think this has been discontinued by now.

Yeah I could have custom wired a lot of things, but why is that necessary? I'm not trying to pick a fight...the bumper is very well made. Its strange to me though that a model specific bumper can't fit a standard sized winch on the winch plate without a Dremel. But you are right, with a little creativity, some fab work, and some wiring, I could have left the grille intact. I just didn't expect it.

As far as the lever goes, that's what came with it. This truck is not a show vehicle. It's now destined for a life of weekend warrior rock crawling duties. If I wanted pretty, I would have mod'd the install for sure.

This whole thing came up because I have the opportunity to swap out my winch with a buddy who is selling his Jeep with a Warn XD9000i (a much better winch). After taking some measurements, I would need a sawz'all to get that to fit in the provided mounting holes. There are other bigger complications as to why I'm not doing the swap though.
We like to keep the winch as tight as possible to the body for approach angles. Which is why the bumper is built that way. FWIW, the Warn M8000 and Smittybuilt XRC8 do not require trimming of any kind. Those seem to be the most popular winches used on it.

The solenoid box can be mounted anywhere you want. Even in the engine bay if needed.