86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my new xrc8 winch/custom bumper...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
is it just me, or does that winch jutting out there like that look MASSIVE on the front of a Toy!

that's awesome man, props!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 12-06-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put one on my 91 Hilux Surf, I used it just to try it and it seems fine. I don't trust the solenoid to the elements though. I was thinking of getting longer cables because the ones that come with the solenoid are like 12" long and putting it under the hood or even in the cabin. Right now I have it mounted on my pushbar beside the winch because of cable length. Otherwise great winch, got it for $260 from 4wheelparts.com
Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 AM

Nice man, looks good.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!
I love that bumper design.
Great looking truck!!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 AM

those skinny boggers look sooooo weird. haha how wide are those? they look like they are squished to me. (i have the 14.5" wide version) hahah

nice bumper! get a cover for that winch! i have the same winch and it does rust and fade.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:31 AM

nice bumper yo looks clean the rig looks tough with that on it
Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 AM

Love that bumper man Im looking to get the same winch and built myself a bumper... I got a bluepoint 110v mig with argon/c02 gas think that will be able to do strong enought welds for that?? I would appreciate some details on that bumper
Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
well i'd love some details of what materials you used and some more pics including how its mounted. purdy please
i mounted it exactly like this http://clean4x4.com/fror.htm except i have a 3" BL and this guy has a 1".

heres the links with the pics i used to help guide me threw the build.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137671
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109...bumper-143194/

mine came out pretty much the same. i changed a few things, like i used square stock instead of channel. i changed the angle out on the ends(i didn't like how theres was pointy). i also didn't put in blinkers, thought about it but decided to fab them into my corner lights. and the last thing i changed was centering my fair lead, theres is off to one side. if you need more pics than that, let me know!

heres the measurements for the raw material.

1. 6' of 3x4x3/16 square tube stock, 2' for the center section, and the rest i used to come around the ends.(i had a lil left over)
2. two 2' pieces of 3x6x3/16 square tube stock, one for each side of center section.
3. 2'x2'x1/4 plate, for the bump out that half the winch, and fair lead mounts to.
4. 2'x4'x3/16 plate, for boxing in and around the bump out, the bottom of the bumper, and to cap the ends by the wheel well.
5. two 5"x6"X5/16 plate, for bracketing(the 2 pieces that the bolts go threw.
6.1'x1'x1/2" plate, for the uprights that my shackles are going threw.
7. and one of these, http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...62c0175a6d1caf

but i made my own.

OK i think thats it lol.

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
is it just me, or does that winch jutting out there like that look MASSIVE on the front of a Toy!

that's bad @$$ man, props!
thanks, yea i think if i move the controller box to the side, and switch to a hawse style fair lead it will look a lil better.

Originally Posted by drgreen
I just put one on my 91 Hilux Surf, I used it just to try it and it seems fine. I don't trust the solenoid to the elements though. I was thinking of getting longer cables because the ones that come with the solenoid are like 12" long and putting it under the hood or even in the cabin. Right now I have it mounted on my pushbar beside the winch because of cable length. Otherwise great winch, got it for $260 from 4wheelparts.com
$260 wow, did you get the lifetime warranty? how long ago? is it the new style one with the 5.5hp series wound motor?

i paid $344

Last edited by TOYOTA 1; 12-15-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Fixxxer247
Nice man, looks good.
thanks..

Originally Posted by toyospearo
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!
I love that bumper design.
Great looking truck!!
thanks toyo, your SA is looking sweet also!

Originally Posted by NorCrawler
those skinny boggers look sooooo weird. haha how wide are those? they look like they are squished to me. (i have the 14.5" wide version) hahah

nice bumper! get a cover for that winch! i have the same winch and it does rust and fade.
there a 10.50.. ive been looking at new tires. just waiting on the cash

thanks. i have been looking for a universal cover but cant find one.
the SB ones are not out yet.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by laxyoat99
nice bumper yo looks clean the rig looks tough with that on it
thanks, i hope its as tough as it looks

Originally Posted by 91FREERUNNER
Love that bumper man Im looking to get the same winch and built myself a bumper... I got a bluepoint 110v mig with argon/c02 gas think that will be able to do strong enought welds for that?? I would appreciate some details on that bumper
thanks.. all the 110v welders i have seen were for sheet metal. there should be a guide type thing on the welder somwhere that will tell you how thick of metal you can weld with it. imo it sounds to small. i used a 220v lincoln with gas it worked great.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:25 AM

Think im gunna have to borrow my buddys welder then lol hes got a lincoln 220v with the gas I should have a winch end of the month if not begining of next and thats when ill figure out my plan....might just get a trail gear mount and make something off that...
Old 12-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
hello, i just wanted to share my new x-mas gift that i got from my GF(the winch).. and my bumper i built to mount it. the winch is the new xrc8 with the 5.5 hp series wound motor it looks good havent got to use it yet, but that will change. i got the winch from 4wheel parts, it was here fast to my door with a lifetime warranty for $344 and some change. ok now the bumper, i got most of the design features off the net, and threw in a lil of my own ideas as well. I'm happy with how it came out, its not perfect but good enough for me. sorry in advance for not taking any pics of the build, i was to into the build to take pics(i know bad excuse).. I'm happy with how it came out looks wise. anyway I'm also going to use this thread to post testing results of the winch and bumper.

here are the pics, all comments good or bad are welcome.

I think if you added a mount from the side of the bumper to the lower mount it would give you a lot more strength and make it a bit stronger if hit or pulled from the side.
like this
Old 12-13-2008, 12:05 PM

good idea! thats pretty much what i had in mind.

if i need more(which is possible) I'm going to come off those body mounts in the direction similar to your red line, but not as far out.

I'm itching to try this setup under a big load.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:02 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
your truck looks awesome, exp with those skinny tires
Old 12-13-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If that thing has the same mounting pattern as a warn then I know what I'm getting for Christmas. I think it'll look good on my MC bumper.

Great job on the bumper by the way and I love how the truck looks.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by SR5
your truck looks awesome, exp with those skinny tires
thanks.. wanna buy me some wider ones? lol jk.

Originally Posted by Junkers88
If that thing has the same mounting pattern as a warn then I know what I'm getting for Christmas. I think it'll look good on my MC bumper.

Great job on the bumper by the way and I love how the truck looks.
thanks man.. im not sure about warn, but the mounting pattern on the SB is 10"x4.5"
Old 12-14-2008, 10:00 AM
BMC

Yes it has the same mounting pattern as the warn. It will definitely fit in your MC bumper.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:51 AM

update!

OK. so i went snow wheelin yesterday, pics here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100...-heavy-161811/ had lots of fun. got stuck a few times and got to try out the bumper and winch. the first 2 times were normal pulls (nothing serious).

pull 1. as you can see i was high centered.

so i used my buddy's truck as an anchor point.

the winch didn't even know it was being used, neither did the bumper. they both handled that with ease.

pull 2. came upon a downed tree, went to go around it (didn't look that bad) made it about 4 feet then i got stuck. my right front tire was digging into the bank/ditch pretty hard, + my axles were sitting on snow.

that was a harder pull than the first, again the combo performed flawlessly!

pull 3. this time i used it to unstick my buddy's rig. he went down a steep lil hill. each time he tried to come back up he just kept working himself further down. until eventually he was stuck.

that one was a pretty hard pull, the winch bogged down some but never came close to stopping. my bumper held up fine, although i did see some minor flexing. the way the cable was ran(down hill to my buddy) it put my bumper in pretty much worst case scenario, angle/leverage wise. I'm going to build some brackets to utilize the factory bumper mounts, that added strength will make it bomb proof. having said that, i believe if i didn't have a 3"BL there would be no need for any reinforcing because there would be way less leverage to be applied! anyway there will be many more tests to come. so we will see how long she will last before i need to use that warranty

Last edited by TOYOTA 1; 12-16-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WELL DONE!!!! I guess you're glad you bought the winch eh? I would like to recommend placing a blanket or something on the winch cable between the pull points so if it does snap the blanket will help stop the cable from snapping very far towards your rig and possibly hurting someone. I saw one go through a back window years ago with enough force to snap the passenger side seat in half, would have killed the driver had it been a couple of feet over.

Oh and those photo's convinced me to buy that same winch, come next month I'm owning one. Thanks!!!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM

WELL DONE!!!! I guess you're glad you bought the winch eh? I would like to recommend placing a blanket or something on the winch cable between the pull points so if it does snap the blanket will help stop the cable from snapping very far towards your rig and possibly hurting someone. I saw one go through a back window years ago with enough force to snap the passenger side seat in half, would have killed the driver had it been a couple of feet over.

Oh and those photo's convinced me to buy that same winch, come next month I'm owning one. Thanks!!!!!
yes, it is a very nice x-mas gift...

i agree 100% on the blanket idea, next time there will be somthing on there!

np, and i think you will be happy with it!... i am, so far.

Quick Reply: my new xrc8 winch/custom bumper...