Sponsored by: DashLynx

My 4wd vs 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sa51
that is depressing, i lost out on a set of 84 axles 2 weeks ago
Yeah. If I had the money I wouldve been at the guys place in an hour.. I have a feeling im not gonna run across a deal that good in awhile.

Thing had a brand new 22r, ran great, minor body damage and was ready to drive!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 91Toyota
lol...I'm not into cutting fenders. I might do 35" tires though. It all depends. But I'm kinda diggin the 33s

heck even if u downsize to 31s, it'll still be bigger then your 2wd

i'm just so used to large tires i think 33s are small. i plan on running 37s or 38s when i get enough money to get a SAS with 4 inch springs
Old 12-09-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
Yeah. If I had the money I wouldve been at the guys place in an hour.. I have a feeling im not gonna run across a deal that good in awhile.

damn man i just paid 750 for one with a bad bottom end i wish i found a deal like that
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by algranger
nice dude! gotta love 2wd's! what motor you got in there?
Both have 22re's. lol...gotta love those engines!

Nice project truck! I lost out on a beautiful $800 84 pickup the other day
Dang...thats a bummer. I'm sure you'll find another one!

heck even if u downsize to 31s, it'll still be bigger then your 2wd

i'm just so used to large tired i think 33s are small. i plan on running 37s when i get enough money to get a SAS with 4 inch springs
lol...but my brothers truck has 31's stock...and I want mine to be bigger I wonder if 35's will fit...any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 PM

omg thats a steal. anything thats driveable and a yota for that little is a steal in my imo

91yota: yes 35s will fit with your estimated 4 inches of lift. even if u swap in chevy springs, the combo of the shackles and springs will give u enough room. i wouldnt go any wider the 12.5 though. and keep it on an 8 inch rim.

Last edited by sa51; 12-09-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, the thing sold in a day..... I was pretty depressed. But I have a pretty big money pit as it is, I don't think my wallet could take another.

plus I think our neighbors would kick us out of the neighborhood. When we all park at home we take up half the damn street
Lifted trucks all over the place
Old 12-09-2008, 09:56 PM

haha i hear ya, my neighbors must hate me, the week i painted my truck i had the air compressor running all day. that and my roomate is an autocrosser so he's always working on his rice rocket as well.

as for a second project i cant afford that either, but having a second vehicle would sure be handy so i dont have to worry about breaking my DD

91toyota, i replied to u at the bottom of page one

Last edited by sa51; 12-09-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:57 PM

Yeah, the thing sold in a day..... I was pretty depressed. But I have a pretty big money pit as it is, I don't think my wallet could take another.

plus I think our neighbors would kick us out of the neighborhood. When we all park at home we take up half the damn street
Lifted trucks all over the place
Nice! i would try and go for another truck tho that would be sweet
thats whats cool about havin a large piece of land we got... 9 trucks, a van, a car, and a 50 year old motor home, a 30 year old boat, and a few trailers.. not to mention the 3 trucks worth of toyota parts i have layin around lol people in the city wouldnt be too happy
Old 12-09-2008, 09:57 PM

91yota: yes 35s will fit with your estimated 4 inches of lift. even if u swap in chevy springs, the combo of the shackles and springs will give u enough room. i wouldnt go any wider the 12.5 though. and keep it on an 8 inch rim.
Why no wider than 12.5?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:59 PM

Why no wider than 12.5?

if u go wider they might rub. u have the height so your fenders should be fine though
Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 PM

Could I go 37's? I'm seriously doubting it though. LOL

But I think if I buy new tires...and do a solid axle swap I will have a very decent truck with good flex and not too big of tires to get in the way. Whatcha think?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:04 PM

you can go wider you just may need to trim some stuff up also if you go wider get a 10" wide rim you will have a wider footprint
Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 PM

Could I go 37's? I'm seriously doubting it though. LOL

But I think if I buy new tires...and do a solid axle swap I will have a very decent truck with good flex and not too big of tires to get in the way. Whatcha think?
i think you can go 37 but you might need to get the floorboard out of the way you know that pinch weld on the corner there? you can cut that out and weld it in backwards or weld a flat piece in

oh and if you do an sas you will have a very decent truck with good flex
Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

haha i hear ya, my neighbors must hate me, the week i painted my truck i had the air compressor running all day. that and my roomate is an autocrosser so he's always working on his rice rocket as well.

as for a second project i cant afford that either, but having a second vehicle would sure be handy so i dont have to worry about breaking my DD

91toyota, i replied to u at the bottom of page one
Yeah, my neighbors hate me. Well one neighbor likes us, most of the others do not. My ty neighbor actually had the galls to come yell at me for leaving my truck idling in my driveway. Apperantly it was too loud (before I did my exhaust system), and it was against the law to idle your car for longer then 3 minutes.

Good thing I work at 1am and I let my truck warm up nice and long in the mornings.

Nice! i would try and go for another truck tho that would be sweet
thats whats cool about havin a large piece of land we got... 9 trucks, a van, a car, and a 50 year old motor home, a 30 year old boat, and a few trailers.. not to mention the 3 trucks worth of toyota parts i have layin around lol people in the city wouldnt be too happy
Lucky guy, I have always wanted to live on a nice peice of land, just to get away from people. I hate having people living 10ft away! I want me a few acres so I can build a shop and be crazy, stupid and make lots of noise allllll day!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:08 PM

Both have 22re's. lol...gotta love those engines!
yep sure do! i dont have an efi motor yet but i have a new model 22r that im gonna efi when i get the chance they are great motors
Old 12-09-2008, 10:10 PM

i think you can go 37 but you might need to get the floorboard out of the way you know that pinch weld on the corner there? you can cut that out and weld it in backwards or weld a flat piece in

oh and if you do an sas you will have a very decent truck with good flex
Which would you go with then? These tires will last a long time...and I would rather buy tires that are going to be used for the life of the truck...like I don't want to buy 33s now only to sas a year later and run 37's. And spend $2k on tires. lol.

So either 35's or 37's? Which would you go with? And I'm really digging the baja claw...not sure if that is for my terrain or not. lol. Either that or the new BFG
Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 PM

yep sure do! i dont have an efi motor yet but i have a new model 22r that im gonna efi when i get the chance they are great motors
Oh no doubt! I rebuilt the one in my 2wd. Just didn't do it quite right Oh well...live and learn! As soon as I get this a little streetable I'll start driving it and take apart my 2wd to fix it...AGAIN
Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Ha, Well you have alot of catching up to do...
Dont you have to be 18 first....Oh wait...

But seriously...
Speaking of yota tats...
I drew this up not too long ago...Guess ill figure out how to work a faint-ish Yota symbol in the backround
I know its a crappy drawing...but I know a tat artist can turn it into some good stuff....

So im guessing you finally got that tranny in...?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Lucky guy, I have always wanted to live on a nice peice of land, just to get away from people. I hate having people living 10ft away! I want me a few acres so I can build a shop and be crazy, stupid and make lots of noise allllll day!
yeah i just moved out of the city my neighbors were pretty cool tho this old guy next door always came out and hung out with me while i wrenched

im working on building a shop its expensive but yeah land is nice i can blast tool as loud as i want while a wrench at 3am (i do it all the time)

Last edited by algranger; 12-09-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

Is that 1" of clearance important to you?

I would stick with 35's untill you wanted to upgrade more. P.s Look on CL for tires! don't buy new.

Quick Reply: My 4wd vs 2wd