86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Motor wont spin when rod bolts are torqued

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by highway
Maybe take the rods/caps to the machinist and have them resized and matched ?
Two post up, in my update, is what I just said
Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get the bearings from?

Good to hear your man at the machine shop is taking care of you.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 AM

I got everything from EngnBldr in Washington. :thumbsup:
Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 AM

He's a good guy, but when I rebuilt mine my machine shop guy was not at all impressed with the tolerances on the bearings; they were, as he said, all over the place" in size. Of course we are talking thousands of an inch here, but the engine works on very small tolerances. It can (and should) be worked around since any proper rebuild should be done with machining to the size of your new bearings, but I opted to go for Toyota ones after that. Sounds like you are getting yours done properly now, so good luck ahead.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:44 PM

I got the rods back, which looks tits. I was all excited, go to bolt them together, and the ing motor locks up again! Im tired of dealing with this bull and trying to figure out what the problem was, I could care less about the learning process right now, I took it to the engine shop and made it their problem. Forget it..............lol

I get it back next wednesday, and if not, it won't be for 2 weeks because of vacation for me. I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:14 PM

I have read your post and realize you took it into a shop but here is my 2 cents

I have in the past assembled my caps and messed up by getting the caps 180'd they go in tang to tang if they are backwards the crank locks ups around 30-40 ft/lbs. first time it drove me nuts and put me back three days on my motor build until I figured it out.

Also the numbers on the caps correspond with numbers stamped on your block on the bottom rear of the block somewhere. So everyone has a different combination of numbers on there caps.

Also if you already smashed the bearings in backwards they are shroomed at the ends and will always lock up even if you flipped the caps around these tolrances are inthe thousands so one mistake is a re-do

Good luck man

Last edited by Plumbrbob; 07-30-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Yeah, I think the original problem was that the rods were mixed up. But, like I said, I took them back and got them fixed, and then this morning there was still a problem. I'm going on vacation, and I dont have the time to be messing around with it trying to figure it out. Although this is my fun truck, it does need to be back up and running as soon as possible, so I decided to just have it done professionally at the shop. Thanks guys for all your help tho!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:24 PM

I know you already took the engine to the shop but when you were having this problem did you make sure that you could move the piston up and down in the cylinder by hand?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Yes. The motor would spin over just fine when nothing was torque. I would install the caps, and tighten the bolts by hand, everything would be OK, but anytime I torqued it, it locked up.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 AM

So here's an update:

The motor is still at the engine shop. I was supposed to get it back yesterday, and they called me and said, "We are having the same problem as you, motor is locking up". They check the crank and rods, check for roudness, and everything came out square and perfect. They said crank and rods all measure within perfect clearances, and they are not the problems......then they tell me that the bearings are the problem, and they are all over the place. I forget what the numbers they told me, but they are 1 thousandths off, and are all over the board on measurements. So I called up Tod and Ted and EngnBldr and told them what was going on. They said they have never had that problem, but this could be a first, so they sent me another new set of bearings yesterday, and they should be here either today or tomorrow. When I get those bearings, I will take them to the engine shop and hopefully we will be getting on with this project. I'm getting a bit frustrated with the delays and setbacks that I'm running in to, but I believe I have the right to be. But anyways, we'll see what the new bearings bring.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel your pain but I also have to say Ted/Tod are great and stand behind the stuff no questions asked.

To make you feel better I have to replace my freshly rebuild injectors from Witch Hunter they are the wrong ones for the wiring plugs , so I had to remove the top of the manifold and now I have to send another set of injectors out to get done all the way across the country and then have them sent back so I am done for at least a week.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Erik Beeman
So here's an update:

The motor is still at the engine shop. I was supposed to get it back yesterday, and they called me and said, "We are having the same problem as you, motor is locking up". They check the crank and rods, check for roudness, and everything came out square and perfect. They said crank and rods all measure within perfect clearances, and they are not the problems......then they tell me that the bearings are the problem, and they are all over the place. I forget what the numbers they told me, but they are 1 thousandths off, and are all over the board on measurements. So I called up Tod and Ted and EngnBldr and told them what was going on. They said they have never had that problem, but this could be a first, so they sent me another new set of bearings yesterday, and they should be here either today or tomorrow. When I get those bearings, I will take them to the engine shop and hopefully we will be getting on with this project. I'm getting a bit frustrated with the delays and setbacks that I'm running in to, but I believe I have the right to be. But anyways, we'll see what the new bearings bring.
What engine shop are you using?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 PM

Joes Engine shop in Concord. I use him for everything I need, he has proven his work and reliability to me on 2 motors before, one of mine and one of my friends. My friends is built, boosting 20 psi and is making 400+ on a 4 banger, all done by Joe. He is a good guy.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
I feel your pain but I also have to say Ted/Tod are great and stand behind the stuff no questions asked.
Oh, yes, I have no complaints about Ted or Tod. I called and told them the deal and they shipped me a new set of bearings the same day, no hassles, no questions, or no cost. They do very good business, which is another reason why I went with them.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:28 PM

rod caps are on the wrong rods...my dad did this a few years back on a 20r/22r he was building.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:09 AM

Got the new bearings in from EngnBldr yesterday. Before I even had my machine shop try and assemble it, I had them measure all of them. Yup, sure enough, 2 of the 8 were off again! This time he didn't even bother trying the motor.

He ordered a set of Clevite beargins, and they arrived this morning at the engine shop. He is supposed to call me around 3PM and let me know how things are going.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:42 PM

The motor is in my garage, all assembled and ready to go. I just got my new clutch and Toyota thermostat, I just have to get fluids and spark plugs and I am ready to go. I might put it in the truck tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 PM

The motor runs well. I have 115 miles on it. I do not suggest the 261C cam to anyone that is planning on high revvs. I rev these motors out and wanted to go with the 268 cam, or another brand, but Tod insisted that the 261 would be better. It feels like the 261 falls flat up top. The motor feels like a mid range motor, not a high RPM like I was planning. Everything is tight and sound, no vibrations, and it started up in the first 10 seconds of cranking (after priming, of course). I wish I opted for forged piston, for this motor will be seeing boost. If it blows up or cracks a piston, I can only kick myself.

Thank you to everybody, especially olharleyman, for the help, I really appreciate it. Keep updated with me, and I will let you know how the boosting comes along. And also, for whatever it's worth, I have have TONS of pictures of almost everythin you can think of during the rebuild, if anyone needs help.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to have been a help and you know what they say
PIC'S OR IT DID'NT HAPPEN
Old 08-09-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Erik Beeman
I got everything from EngnBldr in Washington.
Interesting...I drove 60 miles from my house to there shop in Oregon

Quick Reply: Motor wont spin when rod bolts are torqued