86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Marlin Crawler rear bumper question!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
dude, lol if we keep going like this we are going to have the exact same trucks!!! lol I want to get a bestop and a mc rear bumper!!!! We already have the silver trucks and the hellas...hahaha
My tires are bigger than yours haha
Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i painted mine while off and i DID weld it on the frame, (and bolted)and youll have to cut the rear panel just a little bit (u dont have to cut as much as i did)
and you have to move the lic. plate up a lil

Last edited by norcalsvx; 06-24-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:45 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Gee, thats a nice lookin bump ya got there......lol
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 AM

Just wait, i am getting my 33-1050s by the end of this year!! Its funny, cause we are friends on myspace too, and when you used to have a pic of your truck as your avitar, I would go through looking at my freinds and think that someone was obsessed with my truck!! hahahah
Old 06-25-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
Just wait, i am getting my 33-1050s by the end of this year!! Its funny, cause we are friends on myspace too, and when you used to have a pic of your truck as your avitar, I would go through looking at my freinds and think that someone was obsessed with my truck!! hahahah
lol thats the next set of tires I'll be getting too...so the list continues lol but that won't be for a while I've still got another 20-30,000 left on my 31's
Old 06-25-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dang I wish I had the money for some MC bumpers and sliders! Looks like the motorcycle is going on the auction block to fund the truck.

norcal do you ever get hassled by the police because your bumper covers the license plate a little?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Dang I wish I had the money for some MC bumpers and sliders! Looks like the motorcycle is going on the auction block to fund the truck.

norcal do you ever get hassled by the police because your bumper covers the license plate a little?
no i dont get hassled but i live in a small town with a bunch of lifted trucks if i drove it in the city more i'm sure i would get hassled,but the cops in my town dont really care. ( i dont drive it everyday either)
Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88

I live in a bigger city, 100,000 people, and the cops are D-bags so I'm most likely gunna have to figure something out, I'll post up a picture of what I end up doing
Old 06-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Like I had posted earlier, there is room to move your plate up an inch or two. I did this and have had NO problems in terms of cops
Even when driving around in vancouver. Im more worried about my uncovered tires and lights
Old 06-25-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Like I had posted earlier, there is room to move your plate up an inch or two. I did this and have had NO problems in terms of cops
Even when driving around in vancouver. Im more worried about my uncovered tires and lights
True...but I was thinkin about an idea I saw that was pretty cool where the license plate covered the T O in toyota like this [xxxxxxx] YOTA if I do get a fix it ticket I'll end up doing that...
Old 06-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
I live in a bigger city, 100,000 people, and the cops are D-bags so I'm most likely gunna have to figure something out, I'll post up a picture of what I end up doing
yea if i would have trim up the real panel a lil i could have gotten the lic. plate up higher., i just zip tied it on for now
Old 06-27-2008, 04:21 PM

MC must have known it was my birthday today cause I just got my bumper today!! I ordered it on Tuesday so it only took 3 days! Its a beast and very stout, I can't wait to get it painted and on the truck, I'll be doin that tomorrow so stay tuned for pictures...
Old 06-27-2008, 05:42 PM

nice i wish i got some nice new parts
i have a winch all ready and no bumper to mount it to a bumper was supposed to be on the list but
seems it wasnt in the cards after caliper,rotor,pads,welded rear,clutch w master and slave,brakelines and gas lines ,cv axle ,manual hubs and a ghetto snorkel

sucks cause now i have no parts so im bored!

and in canada the only place for a bumper is big country but there website has been saying that there gonna have a estore for the last year

wish i lived 3 hours away from marlin..

cant wait for pics!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:52 PM

MC must have known it was my birthday today cause I just got my bumper today!! I ordered it on Tuesday so it only took 3 days! Its a beast and very stout, I can't wait to get it painted and on the truck, I'll be doin that tomorrow so stay tuned for pictures...
nice i had to enlarge one of the bolt holes (to the frame) when i installed mine.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:17 PM

Pictures!!!

Well I got my bumper on today and its painted flat black and I got some D ring shackles for it too, it looks sick I'll be testin it out tomorrow at Eagle Lakes and Signal peak!! Hopefully I'll have some pics from tomorrow too

Enjoy...

Old 06-28-2008, 07:48 PM

Well I got my bumper on today and its painted flat black and I got some D ring shackles for it too, it looks sick I'll be testin it out tomorrow at Eagle Lakes and Signal peak!! Hopefully I'll have some pics from tomorrow too

Enjoy...

its really smokey up at eagle lakes right now watch out for this spot (i smashed mine pretty good)

Old 06-28-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by norcalsvx
its really smokey up at eagle lakes right now watch out for this spot (i smashed mine pretty good)

Its smokey everywhere...it sucks!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:21 PM

As for the license plate, I have it remounted as far up as it will go and it still covers the license plate so I'll be doing what I said on the post above with the xxxxxxx YOTA and Ill move a light up there too. Easier to just fix it then have to pay 15 dollars for the fix it ticket and then have to get it signed off...
Old 06-28-2008, 11:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a heads up...
CVC section 5201- "License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible."
"A casing, shield, frame, border, product, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by an electronic device operated by state or local law enforcement, an electronic device operated in connection with a toll road, high-occupancy toll lane, toll bridge, or other toll facility, or a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall not be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle."

CVC 5201.1-
"5201.1. (a) A person shall not sell a product or device that obscures, or is intended to obscure, the reading or recognition of a license plate, as prohibited by subdivision (g) of Section 5201.
(b) A conviction for a violation of subdivision (a) is punishable by a fine of two hundred fifty dollars ($250) per item sold."

in a nutshell- installing anything that obscures the license plate and makes it unreadable to police officers or photo enforcement devices is illegal. also, anyone selling a device that obscures the license plate can be fined 250 for each one sold.

Someone ought to give a heads up to Marlin Crawler about this for their California customers.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:04 AM

Sweet! I should have mine hopefully by this weekend, they had one in stock and I ordered it this morning. Did you do the recomended weld?
I have the Marlin MC-15301 rear bumper on my '91 XtraCab.

If you intend to 'wheel the truck even relatively hard, definitely do the weld that Marlin recommends. I trimmed my bed apron and used fine thread 1/2" grade-8 bolts that I torqued down hard, but my apron still has self-clearanced and now I have little flares in it...

BTW, I just moved my license plate to the lower right corner of the tailgate. A couple of 1/4" bolts fit right through the bottom lip of the tailgate and I put a trailer light above it. Then you can put a little Marlin Crawler sticker on the apron where the license plate used to be. Even with my old Smittybilt rear bumper the plate was crammed in there and hard to see. No reason to push it with John Law.

Quick Reply: Marlin Crawler rear bumper question!?!?