Marlin Crawler bumper bent in half

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
if i were MC, i would at least give you a discount on your next bumper
Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
looks like the frame plates bent pretty far too - bumper lacks good triangulation and gusseting from the main tubes to the frame mounts.

tough call on whether or not you'd get refunded. IMO unless you go custom, these high production tube bumpers are pretty much just disposable bumpers -- they're pretty cheaply built and marketed for the masses since they're easy DIY armor and lack the real protection that you'd get from a custom bumper that's properly triangulated, welded to a beefed up frame, and made from 1/4" material.

of the ??? that have been sold, how many of those have actually been put through a real test of durability? usually, if the person is wheeling that hard all the time, they go the custom route because they need the bumper to go through the durability test on a regular basis. it may be time for you to graduate and go hardcore. it's a natural progression, just accept it happily

since you're going to be looking for a new bumper...for the price, this Curley's bumper is a great platform for customizing yourself a nice, rigid plate bumper. i know he's had them for a while and he's been working deals because they're taking up space in his shop. i got one myself and plan on beefing the crap outta it once i get a welder in the future. i know it lacks the side protection that you get from the MC, but that is easily solved.
I have already ordered a bumper from Daves...got a good deal on it, and if they don't get it done by Friday, they are going to ship it to me on their dime, to Vegas.

I would love to go the custom route, but right now I just don't have the funds to go for a custom bumper and can't wait till I have them right now to not have a rear bumper. I saw Curley's bumper, but I just need something right now that's ready to go.

I figured Marlin would have given me at least a discount as well, but I guess not...
Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 AM

I'm not sure I would treat those test results as gospel. Tests can be tweaked however the tester wants. Why don't you go through Addicted or Wabfab, or hell, I'm sure there's dozens of TG dealers in CA that are more pleasent to deal with, plus usually have lower prices than going through TG directly.

Edit: Guess I'll read the 3rd page before posting next time! Post pics asap when Dave's arrives, I thought long and hard about his before the TG.

Last edited by stock as possible; 08-16-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:27 AM

89silverpu: As far as getting the trail gear bumper... I have it and absolutely love it. That has beef written all over it! I have pics of it on my truck of you want, just pm me and i can send them.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
I realize my first post was not very detailed...I was at an incline while reversing so more weight of the truck was on the truck...it wasn't on a flat surface. Even then though, in my opinion of the situation, the bumper shouldn't have bent in like it did..
Like I said, it didn't happen at 5mph... You left out critical information - my response was completely accurate. Completely different amount of force going 5mph on flat ground verses downhill with the weight of the truck on that narrow point.

With the weight of the truck on a narrow point, sure, the bumper will, and likely should, collapse like that. It looks like it did it's job.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Takes substantial amount of dynamic force to mess up 0.120" wall tubing that bad.

Dare I say it...I agree with rockota. (inside joke)

I don't think you'll have much luck getting that warrantied, from Marlin or anyone.

Saw a front bumper get ripped off a couple weekends ago, sometimes it just happens.

AHA!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Both Wabbit and ScottyC sell TG. There's nothing on ScottyC's website about a custom rear bumper unfortunately
I can build you something custom. But its going to come with a custom price too.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ScottyC
I can build you something custom. But its going to come with a custom price too.
It'd be worth every penny!

Fink
Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im suprised nobody else has mentioned this yet. BadlandBumpers. End of story.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by rockota
Like I said, it didn't happen at 5mph... You left out critical information - my response was completely accurate. Completely different amount of force going 5mph on flat ground verses downhill with the weight of the truck on that narrow point.

With the weight of the truck on a narrow point, sure, the bumper will, and likely should, collapse like that. It looks like it did it's job.
no, you were not correct...I was going no more than 5mph...try going reverse, double low....the only info I left out was I didn't mention the incline. You said there is NO way this happened at 5mph period, but...it did. You were trying to make me out as a liar.

Last edited by 89silverpu; 08-16-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by xXbrutalXcoreXx
89silverpu: As far as getting the trail gear bumper... I have it and absolutely love it. That has beef written all over it! I have pics of it on my truck of you want, just pm me and i can send them.
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Already ordered a Dave'z bumper...see above posts
Old 08-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by stock as possible
I'm not sure I would treat those test results as gospel. Tests can be tweaked however the tester wants. Why don't you go through Addicted or Wabfab, or hell, I'm sure there's dozens of TG dealers in CA that are more pleasent to deal with, plus usually have lower prices than going through TG directly.

Edit: Guess I'll read the 3rd page before posting next time! Post pics asap when Dave's arrives, I thought long and hard about his before the TG.
If I was gunna go through TG, I would have gone through them directly only because I could save the money on shipping and pick it up on the way down to Vegas.

I will throw some pics up when it's all done, may not be till next week till I get it on though, we'll see.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
holy cow dude, you sure you didn't tweak the frame too? Hard to believe that is only a 5 mph hit.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
For what its worth, TG can fail too..

Sorry it happened to ya man! I hope you like the new bumper from Davez! Now, get back to wheel'n!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
holy cow dude, you sure you didn't tweak the frame too? Hard to believe that is only a 5 miles per hour hit.
Yep frame is straight
Old 08-16-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Birdbrain
For what its worth, TG can fail too..

Sorry it happened to ya man! I hope you like the new bumper from Davez! Now, get back to wheel'n!
Damn, what happened there? You get a new one?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
Did you hear about my bumper?

and since you asked...

For the record, since their website did not say i needed them, i did not have the TG side supports (as they sell them seperatly for the 4runners and it listed that they are ONLY for the 1st gens at the time of purchase)

Their customer support was awesome.

They asked for pictures, i sent them, the metal brackets, which is the same thickness as MC brackets, actually stretched upon impact. That being said, the bumper did its job, i would be having a LARGE dent in my side and possibly broken rear glass if it was not for the bumper.

TG fully refunded it without any complaint, all i had to do was pay for shipping of the old bumper back.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Tough luck 89. BB I was thinking of your bumper when i got to the TG vrs MC part of the post.

I'm a beleiver in Murphy's Law seems it applied to this situation too.

I got the same bumper too.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 PM

i have TG's and wishing i knew about davez... those bumpers look BUFF AS BOLO
Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
davez rear is $375 plus shipping...kinda a high price to pay for a rear bumper if ya ask me.

yes i know it's BEEF..but you could easily take a TG, MC, or All pro bumper..and simply get it beefed up a lil lol

like an MC bumper, braced in a few different places i think i shall.

Quick Reply: Marlin Crawler bumper bent in half