Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Locker Suggestions Please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The whole "my IFS will explode when I install a front locker" is web-wheeling bandwagoning.

There are a number of instances (mud and snow being two of the best examples) where being locked will SAVE front end components.

AxleIke and I wheel some HARD trails with locked IFS. Between us, I think our CV count is maybe 3, and I'm responsible for at least two of those AFTER I put in the crawler and can send 39,600 lb-ft of torque to a single axle in the right conditions.

If you are in slick conditions AND wheels are coming off the ground (or even getting light) a locker will save components by only allowing that wheel to spin at the speed of the ring gear (as opposed to 2x the ring gear with an open diff). When that radpidly spining wheel comes slamming down and grabs traction, the shockload is more likely to break stuff. Also, this condition is relatively uncontrollable - you want to make it through that muddy section, being on the gas is your only chance. The instaces where being locked would cause damage (tire wedged, etc) are much more observable and preventable.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
The whole "my IFS will explode when I install a front locker" is web-wheeling bandwagoning.

There are a number of instances (mud and snow being two of the best examples) where being locked will SAVE front end components.

AxleIke and I wheel some HARD trails with locked IFS. Between us, I think our CV count is maybe 3, and I'm responsible for at least two of those AFTER I put in the crawler and can send 39,600 lb-ft of torque to a single axle in the right conditions.

If you are in slick conditions AND wheels are coming off the ground (or even getting light) a locker will save components by only allowing that wheel to spin at the speed of the ring gear (as opposed to 2x the ring gear with an open diff). When that radpidly spining wheel comes slamming down and grabs traction, the shockload is more likely to break stuff. Also, this condition is relatively uncontrollable - you want to make it through that muddy section, being on the gas is your only chance. The instaces where being locked would cause damage (tire wedged, etc) are much more observable and preventable.
x1000000000000

"IFS is weak" is a term coined by those who wish to SAS their trucks without feeling like posers.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few people who actually did hit the limits of IFS. I know a couple of guys who have swapped because they literally couldn't keep their fronts together. I personally watched one twist a CV joint apart on an easy climb.

As for the three axles busted between TC and I, yes, that is true. Mine was a result of a torn CV boot allowing lots of dirt and grime into the housing, and then me being stupid and hammering the gas. I was able to go to 2wd, unlock my hubs, and change it in 15-20 mins at home in my garage.

CV's aren't actually that weak. What kills CVs? Big tires, big lifts, and big gas pedal usage.