86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

lil lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
wont a bracket lift will put the same horrid angles on your steering components as BJ-spacers or torquing the T-bars down?

or do most come with drop-pitman and idler arms... or steering nuckle risers...

I'll admit, I haven't looked into the components a bracket lift all that much after seeing the price of a basic kit
prices are kinda high
but shipping out to the middle of the sea makes it worse!!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
the kit drops the differential 4" so the cv angles are approximately stock and has extensions that bolt to the knuckles lifting the tie-rods up to the stock location. They're the trapezoidal pieces in the center of this pic:
tru3.
my brother has a 91 pickup that has pretty much everything ovrrdrive has and some other stuff butt his is a single cab.
i look at his setup and ovrrdrives butt i dont like body lift.
and i can do without it.

but i want to know what everone knows about the rancho a arms
Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I'm thinking that I should have asked what you were looking for with the lift. Just some limited lift for a better stance? Want to run some slightly larger tires in a better tread pattern? Etc.....

I honestly believe that for a pickup the best way to get a little lift, even with worn out springs bleeder, is to do a BJ spacer up front and a ZUK coil in the rear. My spings have 180,000 miles on them and were flat as heck. The ZUK mod in the rear lifted it back up almost 2 inches over stock and created a LOT of load capacity back there. The ride improved a heck of a lot and even with the back end stacked full of firewood it sagged very very little and I still made it the couple of miles back off of the mountain where I "found" the wood without any odd ride qualities in the back end.

The other option is to do the BJ spacers up front and replace the rears with some 2" lift springs.

I have seen some that will do a T-bar crank in the front and some blocks in the rear but you end up with a stiff ride in the front end and (what I consider) a weak link in the blocks on the back. Not to mention that the blocks don't increase the distance between the rear bump stop and the frame stop so getting the rig "pushed over" in a flex situation is still an issue.

So that's my .35$
yall better show me this Zuk coil thing
i like the sounds of it
Old 01-07-2009, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I was exaggerating a little too... Maybe I should have used a smiley. :p
but it makes sense though
too much stress on the cvs
like anything else they only can handle so much and that alot on the cvs.
thanks for the heads up!

planning on going with the bj spacers then crank the torsions like 1/2 inch like you said. then decide on the rear.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1.5" BJ spacers is the highest cheap lift that you can do without putting your steering at risk of breaking. When the dust settles, it will cost you $200 if just for looks (BJ spacers + alignment), or ~$350 for off-road performance (BJ spacers, idler arm brace, longer shocks, alignment). That all before shipping. You could always save yourself the alignment bill by doing that bit yourself. There are numerous writeups on driveway alignments. If you're seeking off road improvements on a tight budget, a diff locker would be a better bet.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 AM

anything on the rancho a arms?
Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by julienade
please enlighten me about this Zuk coil spring mod
what is it?
where can i find it?
here in hilo, hawaii i havent heard bout that

not much guys have even heard bout the bj spacers!
On the front page about 10 threads under yours is one of the threads on the Zuk mod. If you're not going to look on the front page maybe you should learn how to use the search function.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ks-zuk-157035/

Btw, if you use the multi-quote when quoting multiple posts it will put them all in one thread for you which makes it easier for the rest of us to read.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 AM

On the front page about 10 threads under yours is one of the threads on the Zuk mod. If you're not going to look on the front page maybe you should learn how to use the search function.

Btw, if you use the multi-quote when quoting multiple posts it will put them all in one thread for you which makes it easier for the rest of us to read.
got it!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:59 PM

does anyone have anyknowledge of the ranchp a-arms?
have any idea how they look?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 PM

was this what you were thinkin bout ovrrdirve http://gearinstalls.com/dc.htm

i dont think rancho makes them anymore i could be wrong but at one time i think i heard they stoped makin em and if you were going to go through the hassle to put them on if you find them you might as well get a bracket lift its more worth it one thing you need to remeber is NEVER go cheap on your suspension(that and your motor,tranny,Xcase,and diffs)you could have serious problems if you go cheap breaking things is never fun and if your going 40 or 50 and break something it could be dangerous and you dont have to put a bodylift on your truck if you need help with putting a bracket lift on i myslef and ovrrdrive and possibly some more guys whove done them can help you

Last edited by fireman1559; 02-04-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 AM

yeah rancho doesnt make them anymore but i found a set where i live and i was thinking of possibly stacking the arms with the bracket lift. i was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge about them, how they work and if anyone used them before. and what about the rancho torsions?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:09 AM

So all you want is a cheap way to lift your truck until you can afford a SAS? Lose the spacers, buy a 1"-3" body lift from www.4crawler.com and put some 31's on it until you can get serious and do a solid axle swap. Just take off the body lift and sell it to someone else before the swap.

Where is your brother at with the decked out Toyota to help you out with these questions?

Last edited by Toyvana; 02-06-2009 at 11:10 AM.