Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

just fitted flamethrower injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just fitted flamethrower injectors

Hi
have just fitted flamethrower injectors on my 1989 pick up with 3vze engine now will not tick over. any advice on were to start trouble shooting. when running and using throttle to keep engine running it is very smooth almost bmw smooth.
Thanks
dave
Old 08-14-2014, 10:27 AM

what exactly does "tick over" mean?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:39 AM

No idle
Old 08-14-2014, 11:22 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Probably running too rich.
- You may be able to adjust the VAFM slightly to make it work
- You may have the wrong flamethrowers.

Idle is a tricky spot for the injectors. The injector "on" pulse at idle is only about 1mSec wide, which is just on the ragged edge of being too short to open the injector at all, and too long so that too much fuel gets through when it does open. Probably the spot that is most sensitive to injector mechanics, coil impedance, valve mass, etc.

Last edited by RJR; 08-14-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Which flamethrowers?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 PM

Hi
They are the tan ones which i got on free trial. Engine seems to run better on a richer mix. Also pops when you rev it up in netural also most like a lean mix or air leak. Cannot find a air leak yet will try again tomorrow in daylight. May need to do a retime on ignition.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:11 PM

I also run the tan ones. I don't have these problems.

It could also be ONE injector only that is screwing up. You can test this with the pulling each plug wire and seeing if engine runs differently.. etc..

My ECU was able to adjust for the slightly more fuel. When I have my CSI plugged in, I have similar results to what you are point out, but only some times. Easy test, unplug CSI, see what happens.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:20 PM

Hi
What is the csi
Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 PM

cold start injector. It on the passenger side in the middle of the top intake manifold a.k.a plenum.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 PM

I have also fitted the 7 mge vafm a month ago had no probs with it. Richen mixture up by turning cog 6 clicks. Will try pulling leads one by one. I did check that all injectors rotated before putting inlet manifold back with a new gasket. Have triple checked all bolts for tightness.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Ok will try that as well. I' ll check in hanyes manual for exact location. Pretty sure i know were it is located
Old 08-15-2014, 10:04 AM

update now have idle/tickover

Hi
afyer drivimg truck roday fpumd mid range power had increased quite abit. cruising at 50mph almost effortless compared to before. lift off throttle when going down hill made engine rough and shake !!!!!!. So searched yotatech for answers lots were in same direction as above posters. had a go at tuning maf not a brillant result. So i adjusted the throttle body/tick over screw. job done until i get a definiate way to cure last 5% or i get brain storm. thanks for everyones input if you have more info to solve my prob post away.

but step in right direction. cured 95% of tickover issue by adjusting
Old 08-15-2014, 10:08 AM

previous post apologies for last sentance in post

Ho
if only i could get phone to work as well as my yota i would not be posting this. thanks
for bearing with me.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 PM

What made more of a performance gain with your 3vze? the supra afm or the injectors? I have the injectors and they helped performance but helped gas milage a bit more then just made it go faster.. is it worth the money for a supra afm?
Old 08-16-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by chefdave
I have also fitted the 7 mge vafm a month ago had no probs with it. Richen mixture up by turning cog 6 clicks. Will try pulling leads one by one. I did check that all injectors rotated before putting inlet manifold back with a new gasket. Have triple checked all bolts for tightness.
You might want to back that off back to stock with the new injectors to have a baseline to troubleshoot from. Have you double checked your timing as well...per fsm using the jumper?
Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 AM

Hollywood injectors gave greater power but supra afm made a noticable difference so i believe supra vafm helps injectors to give more power than with stanard vafm.
Sphealy
as i have managed to dial in a good tickover and a noticabal power increase will stick with 7mge vafm but timing will be checked and altered to 15 degrees as this seems to be best timing for my mods from google seraches.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
if you have the 7mge afm set at 6 clicks rich, you will need to set it to 5 clicks with the new flamethrower injectors. this helped me out a lot. good luck
Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 PM

Hi
Thanks for all help on my problem. Now down to sorting idle mixture the only adjuster i have on my 7mge vafm is the air bypass screw. Hopefully will tweek this today waiting for very adverse weather to lift. Had a week of rain and cloud bursts have driven through water upto the rims. Not the best conditions for setting up idle or ecu relearn. Lol. On the plus side mid range power has leapped bottom end up as well but when idle sorted expect more power there as well.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 AM

still no idle

Hi
still can not get an idle but seem to have a miss right across the rev range. now thinking along the lines of an ignition prob. as pulling leads make no difference to engine running. took dizzy cap off for a look showing signs of wear and rotor arm covered in something that resembles carbon but not as difficult to remove. When i checked timing+ it appears to be way out but cannot set it anywhere between 10 & 15 degrees so left it where engine runs fastest. also on a cold start the engine runs on csi then csi turns off and on every 20 seconds. have two engine codes which are 25 and 26 one is very lean other one is very rich ummmm. now battery is discontected to clear codes. any ideas on were to start solving this issue.
thanks
dave
Old 08-21-2014, 07:48 AM

next up date

Hi
been trying to tweek fuelling at idle nothing seems to work. Still have to drive truck. when i went to start truck to come home from work the engine was leaping up and down the rev range lugging then screaming like throttle stuck wide open. even on a lugging and uneven tick over the pull from engine on auto box means i can drive
ve at 20mph with no throttle!!!!!! Mid range power is still improving when going up hill now have lift off to avoid speedingnow when going down hill and lift off the engine shakes very badly. so question now is it a fuel prob or ignition prob and how to test without replacing every suspect part.

Quick Reply: just fitted flamethrower injectors