Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent high idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I sent Phil a PM about this a while back, but I'll post it here so everyone can see it.

Basically my idle would occasionally get "stuck" very high and a blip of the throttle would drop it down to normal. My poor 4Runner does not have a tach, so I don't know how high it sticks, just way above normal idle. I previously posted that I removed my dashpot but the problem still existed, but come to find out that I did not entirely remove it, I only pulled the vac line off that restricted the air flow into the diaphragm. Turns out that there is a little set screw that is connected to the throttle lever that contacts the dashpot and the little tophat on my dashpot was getting cock-eyed and causing the throttle lever to be stuck. I'm sure there is probably some adjustment that I could do to the setscrew to make the dashpot work fine again, but I just removed the set screw entirely and the high idle issue is GONE. Truck runs fine without the dashpot.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Corey - I finally got around to addressing this last night on my truck. I disconnected the cable, and ran some graphite in/out of the sleeve several times, then re-attacahed the cable to the throttle butterfly.

I also used some 3 in 1 oil on hte spring for the throttle. I looked at the top of the dashpot and the set screw seemed to be sticking a little - I oiled the top of the dashpot where they contact each other....some of the oil dripped down to the diaphragm of the dashpot so hopefully that's not bad. Also, a couple months back I replaced the filter and hose that attach to the bottom of the dashpot - mine was gone, for a long time....

I also checked the 3 metal tubes that enter into the top of the throttle body - they were clear. I shot some carb cleaner in there as well, just to make doubly sure.

I haven't really taken it for a good drive since but I'll keep an eye on it and report back if it persists.

Thanks again Corey.