Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IFS "upgrade" parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Me3h i would leave the torsion bars alone for now. If you find you need them go to a junkyard and find some bars out of a v6 runner. As far as i know they are a little stiffer than the ones installed on the re models due to the fact that the engine is heavier. You can crank that amount out of your original bars if you wanted to but don't crank them up too far or your ride will be stiff and your truck will be difficult to allign. Trust me been there done that. If you plan on getting the bj spacers to add a little lift and gain some flex make sure you get new adjustment hard ware for the torsion bars from the dealer. Believe me you'll be happy you did. When adjusting you torsion bars for lift go ahead and start soaking them now with a penetrating lubricant for a few weeks prior to adjusting them since they sieze up sometimes.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mightymouse
Me3h i would leave the torsion bars alone for now. If you find you need them go to a junkyard and find some bars out of a v6 runner. As far as i know they are a little stiffer than the ones installed on the re models due to the fact that the engine is heavier. You can crank that amount out of your original bars if you wanted to but don't crank them up too far or your ride will be stiff and your truck will be difficult to allign. Trust me been there done that. If you plan on getting the bj spacers to add a little lift and gain some flex make sure you get new adjustment hard ware for the torsion bars from the dealer. Believe me you'll be happy you did. When adjusting you torsion bars for lift go ahead and start soaking them now with a penetrating lubricant for a few weeks prior to adjusting them since they sieze up sometimes.
That makes things a lot cheaper. Thank you so much for your advice. I'll be getting a idler arm spacer too. Are brass bushings worth it as well? Sorry for all the questions, but If I need other parts should I snag them off a v6 runner?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 AM

The only parts that i know of that swap for benefit are the torsion bars off of the v6. Yes get the brass bushings they'll be stronger. By the way it's probably a miss type but it's not a spacer it's a brace. might help you when you're looking for it. If you go to a junkyard look for newer parts like tie rods and the adjustment sleeves. That's how i found mine so i have an extra new set in the box for when these break or wear out. I'm at the local junkyards every other weak scavenging parts for spares or fixes. Al;so look up budbuilt.com for some other upgrades for armor. They make good stuff for when you wanna beat your truck up. Sonoran steel makes a good brace for the ifs as well so check them out. It's been said before but i'll say it again lockers, gears, and armor will take you alot further than big tires and tall suspension.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 AM

I figured I was going to end up on 33's anyway and the front end needs work to be drivable so thought I would knock that out of the way now. Ya lockers (probably just rear e-locker) and gears are next, then armor. Needs serious body work, but that can wait. I might end up keeping the 31's for now though, don't really need 33s. I have 3 sets of 31's sitting around anyway. Either way the front end needs fixed and I can relax the torsion bars to keep it stock height.

Last edited by sixstring; 04-21-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
is the v6 torsion bar really stiffer then the 4 banger?? ive never seen any info to suggest they were different. is it as easy as changing the bars or is there more to change then that?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the 4Runner bars would be thicker than the pickup...It's got a bunch more weight moving about.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Pretty sure the v6 trucks and 4runner have slightly stiffer torsion bars, but im not that sure.

You shouldnt need stiffer bars unless you got a heavy winch bumper and a winch.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:00 PM

so why would i buy an aftermarket set of T-bars?? why not buy a set of v6 bars from a junkyard?? Are the bars for sure thicker and stiffer or is this just a hopeful shot in the dark?? anyone know for certain?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:05 PM

would heavier bars make the front end higher at a relaxed setting giving a smother ride/better articulation than fairly tight 4 banger bars (assuming v6 bars are thicker/stronger)? I want a little extra height, but not a stiff ride or the loss of a little articulation.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Pretty sure the v6 trucks and 4runner have slightly stiffer torsion bars, but im not that sure.

You shouldnt need stiffer bars unless you got a heavy winch bumper and a winch.
I wont have either.

Originally Posted by bone collector
so why would i buy an aftermarket set of T-bars?? why not buy a set of v6 bars from a junkyard?? Are the bars for sure thicker and stiffer or is this just a hopeful shot in the dark?? anyone know for certain?
Good point, it sounds logical but hopeful someone will chime in one that one.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Do some research and try to find out if the 4cyl and v6 torsion bars are different diameter. I couldn't tell you..

Originally Posted by sixstring
would heavier bars make the front end higher at a relaxed setting giving a smother ride/better articulation than fairly tight 4 banger bars (assuming v6 bars are thicker/stronger)? I want a little extra height, but not a stiff ride or the loss of a little articulation.

No. Thicker torsion bars will have the same effect as stiffer springs. They will require more weight to move throughout the travel range, so if you don't plan on a winch + bumper or a v8 then don't bother.

What you want is ball joint spacers, leave the torsion bars at their factory setting, adjusting them won't gain you anything but a rougher ride.

Then get yourself some nice shocks.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 PM

Yes i can vouch the v6 4runner bars are bigger but not by much. I asked my l;ocal toyota guru about installing a winch on my truck and asked about after market torsion bars. He said and i can verify that indeed the v6 bars are bigger to compensate for the heavier engine. When i get a winch i'll pick a set of v6 torsion bars along with it. They'll only really benefit you if you're running a heavier bumper and wich. Other wise they're over kill and will cause you to have a stiffer ride.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 PM

wow i need to find a mid 90s v6 parts vehicle with auto and trd. 4.88s lockers t-bars calipers. hmmm .....

As to the ifs upgrade.. jay 351 has it right. check out 4crawlers website. lots of good stuff on there for cheap. Lots cheaper then a SAS
Old 04-21-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351

What you want is ball joint spacers, leave the torsion bars at their factory setting, adjusting them won't gain you anything but a rougher ride.

Then get yourself some nice shocks.
Will the bj spacers lift it any with relaxed torsion bars?

As to the ifs upgrade.. jay 351 has it right. check out 4crawlers website. lots of good stuff on there for cheap. Lots cheaper then a SAS
I'll checkout 4crawlers. Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 04:55 AM

yes. and you can further adjust the bars for the height you want.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd rather have BJ spacers and T-bars relaxed. Smoother ride and more flex.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
I'd rather have BJ spacers and T-bars relaxed. Smoother ride and more flex.
i agree, he suggested it to me and i tried it, sure enough, works awesome. its nice actually having some flex with my IFS.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 AM

I
wow i need to find a mid 90s v6 parts vehicle with auto and trd. 4.88s lockers t-bars calipers. hmmm .....

Do only the sr5's have 4.88 and elockers?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Found a front diff with 4.88 gears in it for $200. Hopefully its still there when I get paid. Sounds like a good deal. Might as well while I'm in there...gotta find a rear diff though...

Last edited by sixstring; 04-22-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sixstring
I

Do only the sr5's have 4.88 and elockers?
1992-95 pickups and 4runners with a 3vze, auto and factory 31" tires came with 4.88 gears. No lockers tho.

e-lockers came as an option on the 1995.5+ and 1996+ 4runners.

Im currently rebuilding my whole IFS. Adding brass idler arm bushings, all new componants and im finally getting around to installing my soneran steel IFS brace.

Quick Reply: IFS "upgrade" parts