86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IFS Swaybar... good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
See to me those disco's are $125 you could apply towards a locker, sliders, skids, BL, drivetrain lift, regear, SA, or what have you. Some sort of mod with a benefit. But this is one of those topics with divergent views much like body lifts. I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree. Again, I would just urge folks to read the thread I linked above, and form their own opinion on the subject.

A roll cage costs upwards of 600.00, see that cost could be applied towards lockers, armor, suspension. Moot point, as it serves a different purpose. Granted you can relocate funds to further your offroad performance, but is it worth it at the cost of safety? Just a thought.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
See to me those disco's are $125 you could apply towards a locker, sliders, skids, BL, drivetrain lift, regear....
Yeah but I already have all those.

Again, I would just urge folks to read the thread I linked above, and form their own opinion on the subject.
That is a good discussion, just looked it over some, but I'm working on getting my winch mount redesigned right now and don't have time. I do have F&R lockers and cross-linked air shocks too as mentioned by one poster in that link, so my experience with quick discos may be different than others. I like wheeling with the air shocks crosslinked and sway bar discoed and I prefer driving on the road with the air shocks unlinked and the sway bar connected. I have done both, both ways. I found taking exits off the freeway or highspeed turns very scarey with the sway bar discoed and the airshocks crosslinked, bad combo there.

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-07-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs down

My IFS truck suffered no ill consequences from removal of the front swaybar. Because I have my torsion bars cranked for maximum lift. So it's the same on road performance, zero body roll, with or without the swaybar. Possibly better off road wheel articulation, since one wheel isn't tied to the other one allowing the suspension to be TRULY independent. 3-wheeling is alot more difficult than 4-wheeling any way you you try it.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-07-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MudHippy
My IFS truck suffered no ill consequences from removal of the front swaybar. Because I have my torsion bars cranked for maximum lift. So it's the same on road performance, zero body roll with or without the swaybar. Possibly better off road wheel articulation, since one wheel isn't tied to the other one allowing the suspension to be TRULY independent. 3-wheeling is alot more difficult than 4-wheeling any way you you try it.

You can't say that the truck has zero body roll......they have body roll with or without the sway bar connected. It's fool hearty to say that there's no difference in on road performance with or without the sway bar...maybe since your truck can't artiuclate at all in the front because of the way you have your T-bars, it's ok. But for the rest of us, it's going to make a difference. Even still in your case, there is going to be some body roll.

For me, I wouldn't want to drive without the sway bar on the road. I know that with mine connected, there is still quite a bit of body roll, especially when accelerating through a curved on ramp that's too short and the 22re can't get you up to speed unless you can start gaining it early in the curve.

I don't know about you guys, but strong crosswinds on the interstate push my 4runner a bit, and I know they push the 18wheelers, I've had to swerve because they come over or start swaying, and it's not the least bit fun.

Any sudden movements at interstate speeds can get dangerous quick, and I'm sure even more so without the sway bar.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
A roll cage costs upwards of 600.00, see that cost could be applied towards lockers, armor, suspension. Moot point, as it serves a different purpose. Granted you can relocate funds to further your offroad performance, but is it worth it at the cost of safety? Just a thought.
2 things
Yes a roll cage is $600, but it serves a purpose and is effective.
My opinion is that swaybar removal/disconnection is ineffective and not worth it at any cost.

Your "worth it at the cost of safety" statement leads me to believe you misinterpreted my position on this. I don't mean to say skip the cost of disco's and remove the swaybar. I mean to say that the whole theory of swaybar disconnection is faulty and one would be better off to leave it attached as designed by Toyota and move on to other mods that will actually work. This assumes of course that you agree with my opinion of swaybar disconnection. If you don't agree, then by all means, disco's should be used.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah but I already have all those.

That is a good discussion, just looked it over some, but I'm working on getting my winch mount redesigned right now and don't have time. I do have F&R lockers and cross-linked air shocks too as mentioned by one poster in that link, so my experience with quick discos may be different than others. I like wheeling with the air shocks crosslinked and sway bar discoed and I prefer driving on the road with the air shocks unlinked and the sway bar connected. I have done both, both ways. I found taking exits off the freeway or highspeed turns very scarey with the sway bar discoed and the airshocks crosslinked, bad combo there.
Yeah but I was more or less addressing the OP with my first statement that you quote.

Cool on the suspension set up. That would likely maximize the IFS and then I can see the possibility of disconnecting being beneficial. I'm surprised it sucks on-road though. One would think it would be similar to the XREAS Toyota put on the 4th gens (although with a swaybar in place)
Old 10-07-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
You can't say that the truck has zero body roll......they have body roll with or without the sway bar connected. It's fool hearty to say that there's no difference in on road performance with or without the sway bar...maybe since your truck can't artiuclate at all in the front because of the way you have your T-bars, it's ok. But for the rest of us, it's going to make a difference. Even still in your case, there is going to be some body roll.
I could've said "zero difference in body roll". That would have made my point just as well.

But, the amount of body roll I'm talking about is trace, less than any vehicle I've ever driven(even less than the other car drive that weighs nearly the same and has HUGE swaybars fr/rr '98 Monte Carlo)and doesn't affect the way the truck handles but minimally. I swear to god I've got the stiffest torsion bars ever made(yes the are stock diameter).

I said it before, and I'll say it again, my truck handles better than ANY vehicle I've ever driven, and I've driven a few sports cars and high-end sedans in my day.

I have a 3" body lift too, which doesn't stand to reason as to why the body roll isn't more significant either.

I dunno man, just glad it is the way it is. If taking the swaybar off did anything that messed with the way it handled, on or off road, it would have went right back on with some disco's. That I can tell ya for sure, still got it in the shed in case I ever change my mind, don't think I will though...

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-07-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:39 PM

2 things
Yes a roll cage is $600, but it serves a purpose and is effective.
My opinion is that swaybar removal/disconnection is ineffective and not worth it at any cost.

Your "worth it at the cost of safety" statement leads me to believe you misinterpreted my position on this. I don't mean to say skip the cost of disco's and remove the swaybar. I mean to say that the whole theory of swaybar disconnection is faulty and one would be better off to leave it attached as designed by Toyota and move on to other mods that will actually work. This assumes of course that you agree with my opinion of swaybar disconnection. If you don't agree, then by all means, disco's should be used.
Ok, I got ya.

Well, I guess I do disagree with you on the disconnected theroy.

Granted my truck is very much not normal, but here is what I experience:

Offroad, it is great without swaybars. On road it leans liek crazy without them. On teh freeway, if I hit and odd bump, truck will rock back and forth.

When it was stock, it did not exhibit these conditions.

But, for most of us, trying to work our trucks offroad, we tend to want to soften up the suspension quite a bit. In these situations, the value of a swaybar really makes itself known.

Stiff torsions act as a swaybar, in a way. Soft coilovers, not so much. I guess it all depends on what you have done to your rig.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:58 PM

Ok, I got ya.

Granted my truck is very much not normal.
Yeah, I can also see the possibility of value with the LT setup.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have leaf springs, I need swaybars. Long leafs, over axle, provide very little sway resistance.

Soft coils in the front have the same effect. I'm getting swaybars with disconnects installed as we speak.
I agree. I was refering to stock systems. I should have been more clear
Old 10-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm surprised it sucks on-road though. One would think it would be similar to the XREAS Toyota put on the 4th gens (although with a swaybar in place)
Yeah it really sucks in high speed turns, I'm sure the XREAS is light years ahead of my setup, doesn't it cross link the front to the rear and have a computer control the pressure or something like that?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm keepin mine on....i DO DRIVE MINE LIKE SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT.....I need the cornering.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:26 AM

For you guys that run without one all the time on the road, I hope you never have to do any emergency maneuvers to avoid an accident or something.
keep that in mind...there'z ALOT of truth to that!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Of course on-road its better with it on and off-road its better off. I use these quick disconnects:

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...dd99e8fa590cd3

For you guys that run without one all the time on the road, I hope you never have to do any emergency maneuvers to avoid an accident or something.
Originally Posted by bob200587

For me, I wouldn't want to drive without the sway bar on the road. I know that with mine connected, there is still quite a bit of body roll, especially when accelerating through a curved on ramp that's too short and the 22re can't get you up to speed unless you can start gaining it early in the curve.

I don't know about you guys, but strong crosswinds on the interstate push my 4runner a bit, and I know they push the 18wheelers, I've had to swerve because they come over or start swaying, and it's not the least bit fun.

Any sudden movements at interstate speeds can get dangerous quick, and I'm sure even more so without the sway bar.
Originally Posted by Drgoodspd
keep that in mind...there'z ALOT of truth to that!
x100...
Old 07-06-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
IIRC there arent swaybars on the rear of pickups...no, you dont need it
I hope you're only referring to our small Toyota trucks, cause every Dodge Ram (leaf sprung rear) I see has an ANTI-sway bar (these prevent it, not add to it, that's why the correct name is anti-sway bar)

Originally Posted by AxleIke
SA trucks with leaf springs front and rear have no swaybars. Leaf springs make them unnecessary.
Get your SAS done and you will be removing the STOCK front anti-sway bar tabs. They were factory on all leaf sprung 4x4 79-85 pick ups and runners.

Last edited by oldgold3vze; 07-06-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Great 2 year old thread bump

Old 07-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

I took mine off and really don't miss it. it rolls a little more in the corners, but i am used to it and don't miss it.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scuba
Great 2 year old thread bump

Easy there, Captain Sarcasm.

Like you've never chimed in on an old discussion...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:17 PM

I put mine back on after I got tired of spilling drinks around corners.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by okie81
I put mine back on after I got tired of spilling drinks around corners.
I put mine back on after taking a road trip to Cali with all my surfboards, beach cruisers, and other gear in the back, trying to go 75+. Not fun on I-40. Way too many "whoops".

I put it on, and its WAY better.

If I wheel...it's a ten minute thing to take it off. No biggie.

Quick Reply: IFS Swaybar... good or bad?