86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IFS & 35's!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
SAS the thing! Youll be destoying that IFS the first time out with them 35's for what it sounds like you do ide get a SFA under it and not pay another cent on the IFS
Webwheeler...

That is complete bull.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jay351
For any serious wheeling... I would never shove a 35" tire on IFS. My opinion, but every single wheeling trip I go on, I cook at LEAST an idler arm...then go tie rod ends, balljoints.. up to 33" tires, its bearable..after that. No.

And I think you're gonna need more then 3" body lift and bj spacers for 35x12.50's I dunno how the heck you guys dont rub, but with all my lift I still rub when flexed out.
I dunno Jay, I thought I'd need more lift then the body lift to clear my tires now but I've got NO rub at all, and I have 3.75" BS, even with 3.5" BS and 35's I only get a mild rub under full lock and full compression, I think my truck since its an 86 has larger wheel wells? I could go to 35's but it sounds like I'll break stuff, but the only advice I'm gonna take is from people who've actually run 35's..
Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Webwheeler...

That is complete bull.
Any other words of wisom Ovvrdrive? You break anything yet?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:50 AM

Only breakage last night wheeling with 35's was the tire. That's only because a log had jammed it's self between the bead of the tire and the rim.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just outta curiousity kinda new to the IFS set up but what all can it do. And what cant it do?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IFS can't make toast.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

Well, I guess I'm gonna get 35's sometime when I get the cash, the way I look at it the toyota 7.5" Diff is just as strong as the stock 8" front end, and people run 35's with them. I will be waiting a while for tires cause I need me some GEARS first!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:54 AM

Buy a 2wd...then you won't have to worry about breaking cv's
Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 86Crawler
just outta curiousity kinda new to the IFS set up but what all can it do. And what cant it do?
It can do suprizingly a lot and not so suprizingly not alot it all depends on how YOU aproach the situation as to what and what not it will do. For the most part most of what you want to try can be done but you have to really look it over and be smart about the aproach don't just jump in thinking you can do it because you seen someone else pull it off.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Any other words of wisom Ovvrdrive? You break anything yet?
Nope. Granted I don't wheel the truck every weekend but I haven't broken anything at all yet.

I also know the limitations of the truck and don't push it past them. I don't expect it to wheel like an SAS'd truck and it doesn't make me walk.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Banned

Well, I go wheelin about every other weekend at least, and I been reading most rigs that have a locker, 33's, and armor can do 90% of Moab, So I might not go to 35's we'll see what budgets allow but I'm poor as hell right now.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
Is that the OE idler arm, or the short shaft you had on last spring? You have an idler arm brace, so does the brace bend as well, or does it just eat the bushings?
I cooked that short aftermarket idler arm just driving on the damn street.. I rebuilt my oem idler arm and added the downey brace then.

I guess the brace is just no strong enough because every time I take a serious wheeling trip (mudding does not count). I cook a set of bushings. I can tell on the drive home, the wobbily steering wheel comes back

I usually just buy the bushings in bulk from the stealer... Guys always give me a funny look when I go and order 3 sets of idler arm bushings
Old 10-06-2008, 02:50 PM

i have a 2'' body lift a 2'' sus lift in the back and wound up tbars in the front i can turn full left and right, And i go many more places.. i have an 86 surf. same as 86 4runner(if u did not know). But i do have rub wen the front is compressed on lock, But the places i go im not normaly turning wen the front is getting compressed.

if i was you i would lose the 3'' body lift(it will put way to much force on your body mounts) put a 2'' in there and get a 4'' front sus lift from procomp i think it is?(bracket lift) Lowers your cv angles and drops the diff down to..

jase
Old 10-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 88-surf
i have a 2'' body lift a 2'' sus lift in the back and wound up tbars in the front i can turn full left and right, And i go many more places.. i have an 86 surf. same as 86 4runner(if u did not know). But i do have rub wen the front is compressed on lock, But the places i go im not normaly turning wen the front is getting compressed.

if i was you i would lose the 3'' body lift(it will put way to much force on your body mounts) put a 2'' in there and get a 4'' front sus lift from procomp i think it is?(bracket lift) Lowers your cv angles and drops the diff down to..

jase
Body lifts are better then bracket lifts... seriously. For what they give body lifts are the better choice... I will never run a bracket lift unless I had 99% street driven truck..
Old 10-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=abecedarian;50938353]You have similar aspirations as I, but it appears you're going about it from the opposite direction that I am. I'm looking for a high-speed / desert / dune type truck.

I've got a 4" (confirmed- procomp stage II) susp lift and want 35's. So I'm planning on regearing to 5.29 for the larger tires. I'm also planning on doing a long-travel addition to my bracket lift (likely Total Chaos), T100 rear axle, a mild shackle lift with blocks and traction bars on the rear....
... doing it all without a body lift.

QUOTE]

This does not sound like a good idea. That Total Chaos might trash the bracket components. Check with them and see what they think....
Old 10-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 88-surf

jase

Next time you feel like making words come out of your mouth, put a gun in it instead. Honestly how is ONE freaking inch going to make ANY difference in leverage at ALL, Theres NO way that it would put any more force on your body mounts in any way, hell the lift blocks I used for mine were BIGGER diameter then my actual body mounts. Also a 2" suspension lift combining BJ Spacers & Shackles is much cheaper, more effective, and gives more flex then a 800$ suspension lift with cheap chinese junk parts and rear blocks, Body lifts are for people who wheel their junk, bracket lifts are for mall crawlers. Everyone on here who has a body lift loves it, everyone that doesn't hates 'em. Your writin' checks you can't cash buddy, Sorry guys buy sometimes you just gotta call out an webwheelin' jackazz.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay351
I cooked that short aftermarket idler arm just driving on the damn street.. I rebuilt my oem idler arm and added the downey brace then.

I guess the brace is just no strong enough because every time I take a serious wheeling trip (mudding does not count). I cook a set of bushings. I can tell on the drive home, the wobbily steering wheel comes back

I usually just buy the bushings in bulk from the stealer... Guys always give me a funny look when I go and order 3 sets of idler arm bushings
Hey Jay, you tried the brass Idler arm bushings? I've wheeled my truck harder then alot of guys that have solid axles at my ORV park, and I have NEVER broken anything with my 33's and lead foot..
Old 10-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I really wanted to buy a set, but pretty much EVERY single person who got them said they had to have them machined to fix properly.. I dont have access to tools to do it so...
Old 10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

What do you need to machine them? I've got access to a machine shop so I could put some in an idler arm providing ya sent me the parts. I need to do mine anyways. Hasn't been replaced in 170k so its about due.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty

Next time you feel like making words come out of your mouth, put a gun in it instead. Honestly how is ONE freaking inch going to make ANY difference in leverage at ALL, Theres NO way that it would put any more force on your body mounts in any way, hell the lift blocks I used for mine were BIGGER diameter then my actual body mounts. Also a 2" suspension lift combining BJ Spacers & Shackles is much cheaper, more effective, and gives more flex then a 800$ suspension lift with cheap chinese junk parts and rear blocks, Body lifts are for people who wheel their junk, bracket lifts are for mall crawlers. Everyone on here who has a body lift loves it, everyone that doesn't hates 'em. Your writin' checks you can't cash buddy, Sorry guys buy sometimes you just gotta call out an webwheelin' jackazz.
+1
(RANT COMING)
And there isn't a whole lot of leverage, there are large washer at both ends and the actual spacer makes contact with a good amount of the body and the frame. I would be more worried about my damn 3" downey springs actually curving the OPPOSITE of their normal way and still having room to tuck with my 35x12.5s with a 2" BL, if I didn't I wouldn't be able to get bigger springs and lose the blocks.

And there isn't anything thing wrong with a body lift, and top heavy? I take bigger craps then these trucks, my PASSENGER CAR is heavier. And once you lift you get larger tires, mine weigh around 130 so don't tell me it isn't grounded.

Quick Reply: IFS & 35's!