Sponsored by: DashLynx

HOW TO: Remove the Oil Pan on a 22re 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:08 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
So, I got the pan off.

here's how I did it.

basically (as shown in the previous posts), I followed ALLCAMMEDUP's write-up all the way to the part where I needed to start removing more stuff from the front (as I posted too) and decided that there has to be an easier way...there was...for me.

as per the FSM...I placed matchmarks on the union between the front driveshaft and the diff....

Not liking the acute angle that the diff/driveshaft were at and fearing that acute angle would impede getting the bolts out I decided to jack up the diff and try to straighten out the angle and support the rear-most part of the diff with a bottle jack

ahhhh, now you think it's going to be easy with a wrench and a breaker bar on a socket wrench...WRONG! not enough room to get a socket wrench on either side of it...so 2 wrenches (14mm) need to be used. the location is not good though.....under the middle of the truck with the tires in the way and jack stands in the way made impossible to push or pull the wrench with my arms, so I used my legs.(no pics of that, you'll have to use your imagination)

I took 3 bolts completely out, using 1 top one as a retainer while i was working. I was able to safely , and easily take the last bolt out. 1 fairly good whompy from my palm was enough to get the driveshaft off.

I then took the bottle jack out and away. Lowered the floor jack (at the front of the truck and under the diff). at 1st it didn't seem like there was any more space than when I started.

so I figured, i would push the pan a little until it got bound. It never got bound up, but instead just pushed right out the back.

and here it is...

and a more gruesome pic.....

plus this

is why you need to take off your oil pan when doing a repair such as this.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah!!!!!

Umm where did that bolt come from that's sittin in the muck??? Don't toss the baby out with the bath water.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:38 AM

good eye on that!

that would be the 4th bolt that was holding on the uptake tube.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the write up 92! I gotta do the same thing with my truck top end rebuild without taking the block out

When you look back on it, did you really have to mess with the steering stuff? I'd really like to not touch the steering junk.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by rogerman
Thanks for the write up 92! I gotta do the same thing with my truck top end rebuild without taking the block out

When you look back on it, did you really have to mess with the steering stuff? I'd really like to not touch the steering junk.
My pleasure.

No. I really did not have to undo the steering stabilizer or take all the nuts and cotter pins out of the front....but as you know, i did all that already.

Oh yeah, a PS to my response to LUMPY....

that is NOT the bolt I was talking about, that is about an 1 1/2'' 14mm bolt laying there...not from me... but from the previous TOYOTA head gasket repair...hahahaha
Old 03-16-2010, 12:13 PM

and to add to this.....here's what a little scrubbing and a pressure washer can do for you....and , of course, some red paint....and Bar-B-Q Grill paint too.

and a squeaky clean strainer tube

Old 03-16-2010, 05:12 PM

looks good! I'm gearing up to do mine this coming weekend. wish me luck!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 PM

looks good! I'm gearing up to do mine this coming weekend. wish me luck!

If I could do it, anyone can.

Good Luck.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good pics, but loose the bottle jacks for a set of jack stands- what you've got there is a dangerous balancing act.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:39 AM

quick question: did you drain your diff?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Good pics, but loose the bottle jacks for a set of jack stands- what you've got there is a dangerous balancing act.
I have (in use on this)
2 jack stands
2 bottle jacks
1 floor jack
big brick behind the rear tire

quick question: did you drain your diff?
No, I did not.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Man, nice thread...lots of great info here! Ive seen some milkshakes and chia pet oil pick up screens in my day, but yours takes it! Props for being in snow country and wrestling with stubborn undercarriage bolts...makes me feel like a puss just having to deal with surface rust issues here on the west coast
Old 03-24-2010, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's much easier just to jack the engine up. That looks like a pita doing it that way you did it.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by PismoJoe
Man, nice thread...lots of great info here! Ive seen some milkshakes and chia pet oil pick up screens in my day, but yours takes it! Props for being in snow country and wrestling with stubborn undercarriage bolts...makes me feel like a puss just having to deal with surface rust issues here on the west coast
thanks........

Originally Posted by modlite
It's much easier just to jack the engine up. That looks like a pita doing it that way you did it.

right, probably would have been but the concern was all the stuff ABOVE the block / transmission mating area (i posted a pic) that would have been squished. that plus I was fresh out of jacks and balls to do that.

after I figured it out , it really wasn't that hard....just getting to the point of figuring out what would work for me was hard.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Hey 92TOY i started my project of dropping the pan today but i had to stop because i am having a hard time removing the differential brace. I have removed the 4 bolts and the bolt attaching the diff. to the crossmember but now i cant seem to get the crossmember out. Any ideas here to help me out?

Also, thanks for compiling all of this great info here to help everyone out...its helped me alot.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 PM

get the bolt off the front diff. cradle then smack that brace with a BFH
Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by weaselman
from the looks of the pictures, i am a little to late......

but in my 86 4runner.. alls i have to do is remove the motor mount bolts. then jack up the motor until its hits the body. then remove all oil pan bolts. break oil pan loose. yous ratchet wrewnch and remove oil pickup tube bolts.... then remove as an assembly. and there ya. out in abt 20min. seriously...lol.
You must be using a cherry picker then right?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 AM

get the bolt off the front diff. cradle then smack that brace with a BFH

exactly....lots of "down smacks".

i just got my pan back on yesterday, so i will post up some pics and try to go back and fix the pics i killed when i rearranged photobucket(****HINT****don't rearrange photobucket....it kills all the pics)
Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
You must be using a cherry picker then right?

i'm gonna say from the sounds of that quote, no. probably just jacking up the transmission....which i did not need to do.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:26 AM

OK.

so let's start here.

this is a pic of how my diff has been supported most of this while. it took a dreaded "nose dive" one night while i was messing around and the rear-most part ended up almost pointing straight down. it is not very stable with only 1 jack.....so i used 2.

so i started off with a nice shiny pan all painted up in a beautiful red.
loosened the jacks carefully with help from my lovely assistant wife.

and then after cursing and struggling and failing to get the pan in place, i decided the steering dampened was in the way, so i took off one end of it again.

lots of paint damage

after realizing that one of my problems was that the passenger's side diff mount (big round thing ...2 mount points passenger's side and driver's side) was binding up against the frame, i gently persuaded it with my foot and then released the jacks again and gained another inch or so......this was enough room to shimmy the pan so that it was now resting directly below the block.

OIL STRAINER TUBE.....I was sooooooo sure i was going to drop one of these bolts into the pan not once but a few times, but that did not happen. I also thought i could use a little spooge of black RTV to help tab the little gasket in place so it wouldn't fall off too...that didn't work, but each time it fell, it fell outside of the pan.

3 smaller short bolts and 1 longer one hold the tube in place....finger tight, then ratchet snug then 9 ft/lbs tight, except for the one bolt that just kinda supports it, could not configure a ratchet any which way to reach it, so it is what I assume to be "Levi" tight.

so then when i felt like i was ready, i commenced to putting a nice little bead (5mm as per the FSM and my discerning eyeballs)...which turned into an absolute bloodbath of Black FIPG....reaching the rear-most portion of the pan is stupid and more stupid.....so i squeezed some on the pan , the block, mostly on my hands and arms and o and on until i could verify that every portion of the lip of the pan and / or block had a bead or blob of FIPG....i'm not especially worried about too much FIPG because it will have completely cure LONG before this is running. FSM says you have 5 minutes....ummm...yeah right, 5 minutes my butt.......but you don't have forever to get this done.

then i commenced to putting the pan up. being that one of the 'studs" came out with it's nut on disassembly and the nut was never able to be removed from it, i really only had 1 stud as a reference point to put the pan back up.

this is where my son, who gets discouraged because he feels he really hasn't helped me much, REALLY HELPED ME ALOT. THANKS JOE!!!!!!!!!! you are forever immortilized by helping me with this part.

putting the bolts in consisted of contorting my body to accommodate the bolt positions....really contort my arms. this cannot be done with the floor jack in place supporting the diff. i don't know what to tell you, if i was lucky that i didn't get killed or what, but i had to remove the floor jack so i could fit under there. not so good having that diff against your face knowing it's not really supported. "Joe, if that diff falls, get the jack under here somehow...."

and round and round putting bolts in, this extension, short, long, double, with wrench, without wrench until i was able to get them all in, hoping the FIPG wasn't going to clog the holes before i got a bolt in them.

It all worked out, I'm sore as all hell, but i was able to do it. so it can be done.

with that i post the final pic for this oil pan....

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Remove the Oil Pan on a 22re 4wd