Help finding lockers

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited slip differential

I found a TRD limited slip for cheap (I think). Here are the specs:

8" ring gear, 12 Bolt, 30 Gear spline, By Eaton

Will this fit on my truck? I think so, since it says 8", and is it worth it, since it's only a limited slip? The guy says it's only for 96-04 Tacoma, 4Runner and Tundra because to his knowledge that's when the 8" started. Huh?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:36 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends - I find LSD's more frustrating than useful offroad.

'96-04 Tacoma (and Tundra?) uses the "8.4" diff, 4Runner uses the "8" diff. I am 90% sure the carriers are different, so there's no way this LSD fits all those applications he listed. He doesn't know what he's talking about - you should find someone who does...

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 AM

stick with a locker in the rear, plus all LSD except the tru-trac are clutch driven, they wear out sending you straight back to open. check craigslist for third's.

i'd say a tru-trac in the front on IFS is ok,thats what i'm looking at.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the link tc, it's a good one. I think he is right, but he is also talking about the front and I was thinking of the rear. Here is a quote from your link:

8" IFS diff
'The latest model 4runners, Tacomas, Tundras and probably Sequoias now use an 8" IFS diff with 30 spline axles, but I have no info on this one yet.'

I'll just have to keep looking...
Old 11-09-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think hard about the e-locker retro fit. It is not as easy as you may be led to believe. Check this write up:
http://www.sonoransteel.com/phong/re...ic_locker.html

and note these two links at the bottom of the write up listed above:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/
http://carterman.netfirms.com/4runner/mods/locker/

Especially read the parts about axle housing modification and see if you really want to do that. It sounds as if some axle housings don't need additional material welded on for one of the studs and some do, so I guess it's just a crap shoot. The other part of that equation is that if you do have to add the material, you then have to grind it back down smooth and level enough to hold a good seal with the diff and thats no gimme by any means.

If you're dead set on e-lock, then go for it. Many have done it successfully and are happy with their setup. Just be aware of all that is involved and the possible complications that may arise. If you can do the fab work it will probably be a reasonable cost. If you have to pay for some or all of that, it may be pricier than you had in mind.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, ya, I understand. It seems it's a lot harder than it appears. I really don't know if I'll be regretting later what I got myself into. I was looking at the e-locker because there is no need for a compressor (even as small as needed for arb), and because it seemed like a cleaner setup. And of course price! I thought I could save some cash, by going this route. I need to do something though, because I just got my wheels & 33's and am gona try my hardest no to mount them til I get my gears setup. So since I'm gona do the gears, might as well do the locker.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:42 PM

I just put an e-locker into my truck and I would NEVER go back! It was absolutely worth it.

Mechanic charged me 200 bucks to do the axle modifications and I did the wiring myself. I am a complete newb to wiring and mechanics.. but inchwormgear.com has a wiring kit that was easy as hell to install.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
8" IFS diff
'The latest model 4runners, Tacomas, Tundras and probably Sequoias now use an 8" IFS diff with 30 spline axles, but I have no info on this one yet.'
that refers to the 05+ Tacomas and 4th gen 4Runners - 96-04 Tacomas and 3rd gen 4Runners used a 7.5" HP front diff. The carrier on those is the same as the PreTacoma trucks.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys, I have a new question. I possibly found an e-locker with complete axle housing from a 99 4Runner. I am trying to negotiate a price and I wanted to know if this is will bolt on? I've been in contact with another member who has given me great advice, but I was thinking, if this thing can bolt on to our older trucks, why aren't they sold more often in that fashion? Most of the info I've read had the e-locker installed into the axle housing that came on the vehicle it was going into. And therefore the drilling and other mods to get the e-locker to work. What gives?
Old 12-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Hey guys, I have a new question. I possibly found an e-locker with complete axle housing from a 99 4Runner. I am trying to negotiate a price and I wanted to know if this is will bolt on? I've been in contact with another member who has given me great advice, but I was thinking, if this thing can bolt on to our older trucks, why aren't they sold more often in that fashion? Most of the info I've read had the e-locker installed into the axle housing that came on the vehicle it was going into. And therefore the drilling and other mods to get the e-locker to work. What gives?
How much for the entire housing? I need lockers and a re-gear and would like to accumulate the parts, a complete rear would be good if it bolts right in. Plus I'm going to do Chevy springs in the rear and BJ spacers in the front of my 88 4Runner.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:42 PM

The newer axle housings are set up for coil springs and links so major fab work to put one in a first gen.(spring perches, shock mounts, etc.) They may be a different width too. Someone with more knowledge than me will have to chime in on that. Also, likely brake line and ABS issues to resolve. It still might be worth it if you get the diff. You can still scavenge off the other parts to recoup some $$
Old 12-05-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
The newer axle housings are set up for coil springs and links so major fab work to put one in a first gen.(spring perches, shock mounts, etc.) They may be a different width too. Someone with more knowledge than me will have to chime in on that. Also, likely brake line and ABS issues to resolve. It still might be worth it if you get the diff. You can still scavenge off the other parts to recoup some $$
Thanks, I forgot about the coils on those newer rearends. Got a good fab guy here in Reno though.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Shaayat. You're right. Thanks Mike. What if I look for a Taco 8"? or do the Tacos come with 8.4"? Damn this is getting difficult. On 1 hand you have all the housing mods, on the other you have the leaf/coil problem. Did I say damn yet?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:19 PM

Hmm. Taco would be interesting. If it has an e locker then it's a 8" and Tacos still have leaves so it has more potential to fit as a straight swap. To know if there are other issues to be dealt with will take someone that knows more than me. It's certainly worth investigating.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:43 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Except a Taco axle and spring perches are wider, so you'll have to cut them and weld them anyways...
Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Right! I just came accross this info:

Toyota Axle Widths:
(all widths are measured wms-wms, wms=wheel mounting surface)

'79-85 front axle~ 55.5", rear axle~ 55"
'86-95 front IFS~ 59", rear axle~ 58.5"
Tacoma & '96-up 4runner front IFS~ ???, rear axle- 60"
T100 front IFS~ 65", rear axle~ 66.75"
Tundra front/rear~ ??
'90-97 Landcruiser FJ-80/FZJ-80 front axle~ 63.5"

So to those who have messed with their axles and stuff. Which do you think is more work? Modifying my stock housing for the e-locker? Or modifying the Taco axle to fit my truck? It's 1.5" wider. What problems can that cause?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Personally, I don't think the housing mods to use an elocker in the "pretaco" housing sound that bad. Easily something we could handle at the HOW.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by tc
Personally, I don't think the housing mods to use an elocker in the "pretaco" housing sound that bad. Easily something we could handle at the HOW.

You're right.. they really aren't a huge PITA. Theres a bit of grinding that is easily done if you can secure the housing in some kind of press and use a good wheel grinder. Then there's some drilling to put new studs. I didn't have the need to do any welding as some of the writeups call for.

All in all.. it was a real easy mod - just a bit spendy cuz I couldn't find any used 4.56 lockers - so I got a new one from inchworm.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Just a quick E-Locker question, are the diff's with the E-Locker regearable or are you stuck with the gears that they come with?
Old 12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

I think they are regearable. Just the extra expense to not take advantage of the gears included I believe. Which are most commonly 4:10 & 4:30. 4:56 are RARE and that's it. You can buy others pre-modded at inchworm, but pricey!

Quick Reply: Help finding lockers