86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gear oil requirements for 87 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gear oil requirements for 87 4x4

Buying redline for front and rear differentials transmission, transfer-case and need to know how much and what kind for each? I hear it already "look in the FSM" but I am driving to the store now lol

Thanks
1987 22r 5 spd carb
Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodyth
Buying redline for front and rear differentials transmission, transfer-case and need to know how much and what kind for each? I hear it already "look in the FSM" but I am driving to the store now lol

Thanks
1987 22r 5 spd carb
diff=GL5 80W90-4.5 quarts total

tranny/x fer=GL4 or 5 75W90(I've read GL4 is preferred) 7 to 10 quarts total.

All of this is according to my Haynes manual. It's too late to go FSM hunting, sorry.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:56 PM

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechInfo.shtml#Fluids

Front Diff= 2.4qts
Rear Diff= 2.3qts
Transmission= 3.2qts
Transfer case= 1.7qts
= Buy 10qts

Edit: Guess I was too slow.

Last edited by 87 Deathtrap; 07-25-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
fixed your thread title
Old 07-25-2012, 06:09 PM

just gonna do the tranny and transfercase for now. got to tear apart the rear anyway sometime later on to replace the gasket, and at 13.95 a quart i guess I got to budget LOL
Thanks for the quick replys!
Thomas
Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 PM

Most guys use the MT90 from Redline, a GL4 75w90 gear oil for the Tranny and T/C. That's what I use....

According to Redline's site:

Since most GL-5 gear oils for differentials are too slippery for manual transmissions, Red Line offers these products that ensure proper shifting while providing ultimate wear protection

"Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)
Red Line offers lubricants to pinpoint nearly every transmission application
MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears
Excellent gear and synchro protection, balanced slipperiness for easier shifting in cold climates."

"MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

75W90 GL-4 gear oil (similar to SAE 5W40/10W40 engine oil viscosity)
Popular in Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, VW/Audi, Lotus Elise/Exige, Toyota
Offers quicker shifts, perfect synchronizer coefficient of friction
Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage
High performance gear protection and longer synchro life
Eliminates notchy shifting, even when cold
Satisifies the gear oil viscosity requirements of 75W, 80W and motor oil viscosities of SAE 40, 10W40, and 15W40
Recommended for GL-1, GL-3, and GL-4 applications, as well as where most special synchromesh fluids are specified."

I know it says GL5 also in the factory manual but Redline's GL4 gear oils are designed specifically for manual transmissions and it just works so damn good.....

Also check out marlincrawler.com's shifter seats which I use and they make the tranny shifting nice and tight...

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats
Old 07-27-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by daved5150
Most guys use the MT90 from Redline, a GL4 75w90 gear oil for the Tranny and T/C. That's what I use....

According to Redline's site:

Since most GL-5 gear oils for differentials are too slippery for manual transmissions, Red Line offers these products that ensure proper shifting while providing ultimate wear protection

"Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)
Red Line offers lubricants to pinpoint nearly every transmission application
MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears
Excellent gear and synchro protection, balanced slipperiness for easier shifting in cold climates."

"MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

75W90 GL-4 gear oil (similar to SAE 5W40/10W40 engine oil viscosity)
Popular in Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, VW/Audi, Lotus Elise/Exige, Toyota
Offers quicker shifts, perfect synchronizer coefficient of friction
Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage
High performance gear protection and longer synchro life
Eliminates notchy shifting, even when cold
Satisifies the gear oil viscosity requirements of 75W, 80W and motor oil viscosities of SAE 40, 10W40, and 15W40
Recommended for GL-1, GL-3, and GL-4 applications, as well as where most special synchromesh fluids are specified."

I know it says GL5 also in the factory manual but Redline's GL4 gear oils are designed specifically for manual transmissions and it just works so damn good.....

Also check out marlincrawler.com's shifter seats which I use and they make the tranny shifting nice and tight...

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats
Just filled both with the gl5 75-90w. I screwed up. How bad is it going to be? What's the damage gonna be?

This is what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i01

Last edited by woodyth; 07-27-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Old 07-27-2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by BMcEL

Yeah I know, $60 bucks down the drain. literally.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:52 PM

After everyone told you to use GL4 in several threads you posted in.

GL4/5 won't necessarily hurt anything, the trans just won't shift as well as it would with true GL4. You may see slightly accelerated wear on the syncros, but I'm not certain on that one.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:57 PM

I don't really know... I know some guys use Mobil 1 gear oil which is GL5 for the tranny and TC. I would call Redline. Here's the number:

PHONE: (707) 745-6100 or (800) 624-7958

Let us know what they say.

This is what you have to worry about the most I believe:

Safe for brass synchros (MT90), as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils ( what you just bought) that cause damage

These are the reviews that were on the Redline 75w90 Amazon link:

Amazon Verified Purchase
This is a Great oil, Lowers temp, So slick, Be carefull, Dont put it in some transmissions that have sycros. To slick. Hard to shift. Great for Differentials. Red line has another product for Transmissions.It works better for tranys.Great price from Amazon, And the free shipping makes it even better!

Used in my 4Runner rear differential & transfer case. Jury's still out but I feel confident on the product. I replaced Amsoil Severe Gear with this one. Didn't come with the screw on nozzle like others do so I had to pump the fluid. I bought this for my transmission too. Well, after calling Redline they informed me that GL4 was correct to use. Although my owner's manual says okay to use GL4 or GL5. GL4 is the way to go. Much smoother, shifts fast. The previous oil was GL5 Amsoil. Purchase MT90 for your manual transmission, if in doubt. Call Redline customer service.

This review is from: Red Line 57904 (75W90) Synthetic Gear Oil - 1 Quart (Automotive)
Description doesn't state - this is a GL5 product, not suitable for manual transmissions calling for GL4. Make sure you order the right stuff.

This review is from the MT90 page on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-50304...d_rhf_cr_shvl1

Best GL-4 fluid there is. Do not use GL-5 fluid if GL-4 is specified! January 22, 2010
By Re-view-eR
Amazon Verified Purchase
This is one awesome GL-4 fluid. It does everything it is supposed to and more, just as Redline promised. It smoothed out my transmission that I thought was potentially damaged. I was skeptical at first but no more. It was also cheaper than very expensive (and wrong, for my car) fluids at all the local stores that they tried to sell me.

Some background info is in order, if you are interested.

Many think all gear lube is the same, as long as you pick the right weight. Even many mechanics pay no attention to anything other than weight. Well, wrong, although it used to be true. Unlike motor oil, gear lube is indeed made different for different applications, even for the same weights, as newer cars requirements are so different from older cars.

Mistake one: I had a pro shop change the gear lube in a manual tranny pushing close to 200k.I figured it was time If you want it done right, do it yourself, but I was lazy that day. I specifically requested them to make sure the right synthetic fluid went in. They of course put in the right weight: high priced, major brand, synthetic 75w90, but they never bothered to check anything else, since they just have the autostore cross-reference and deliver the fluid. The stores are more clueless than anything else. The chain stores do not even stock GL-4 fluid anymore. There was one high priced brand that claimed to be both GL-4 and GL-5. Well, anything that claims to be one size fits all usually does not fit anything properly so I would stay away from that.

Mistake two: Not checking if all lube was backward compatible. If you want to be sure, check everything yourself. After all, I had professionals do it for me, right? They don't care because it is not their car. Well, GL-5 is not backward compatible and can actually damage some tender parts in transmissions designed for GL-4 due to some harsh additives.

So, after the shop put in GL-5, after a week or two, tranny started lurching in 5th gear. Darn. Did some research, but could not be sure if it was the fluid or just coincidence. After all, it is a lot of miles on the tranny. But, all indications were GL-5 was bad for my GL-4 designed transmission.
So, all my hopes rested on this Redline fluid. It did not let me down!

Got some Redline MT-90 GL-4 75w90 fluid and changed it myself. Amazon has the best price. No one locally even stocked pure GL-4. At first, the lurching was still there. Well, it was worth a try, I thought. But then, it got smoother, or so it seemed. Wishful thinking, I thought. Then, it was definitely smoother, no mistake. Could it be? Now, about two weeks after, for the very first day, the lurching in 5th gear is completely gone, and the tranny is as smooth as it was before. Even smoother. I would occasionally grind when shifting quickly, but now I can shift as fast I am capable of and I have yet to make it grind.

So, expensive lessons learned.

One, do it yourself, if you can. Check what someone else puts in your car before you let them put it there. Definition of a "professional" is that they are paid to do it, not necessarily that they do it well. Just because they get paid to do it, does not mean they know what they are doing, or know better than you.

Two, even if you do not do it yourself, at least make sure your mechanic knows what to put in. They will not take time to research and could not care less if you do not tell them beforehand.

Three, do not trust clueless autostores to cross-reference fluids. They will get it wrong most of the time. Go to factory service manuals or other reliable sources for that information.

Four, if your transmission calls for GL-4, do not chance it with GL-5! Brass synchronizers cannot take it, as GL-5 additives can eat them. You may need a new tranny or major repairs before you know it.

OK,how's the tranny shifting for you?....I guess I would be worried about the damage to the brass parts. I've called Redline before and they are very helpful on the phone. Let us know how you make out, bro.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by BMcEL
After everyone told you to use GL4 in several threads you posted in.

GL4/5 won't necessarily hurt anything, the trans just won't shift as well as it would with true GL4. You may see slightly accelerated wear on the syncros, but I'm not certain on that one.
I guess I just seen 75W90 and seen 75W90 on the redline and thought it was good.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:01 PM

If you put straight GL5 in there, change it out as soon as you can. If it's GL4 compatible GL5, then you're ok for now. Check the bottles.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:19 AM

getting ready to order the mt-90 for the truck and drain the 75w90 out. 2 questions:
1. is it safe to use the 75w90 in the front and rear diff's after I drain it out of the tranny/transfercase?
2. Is royal purple better than the MT-90? I have read great things about both.

Thanks
Woody
Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by woodyth
getting ready to order the mt-90 for the truck and drain the 75w90 out. 2 questions:
1. is it safe to use the 75w90 in the front and rear diff's after I drain it out of the tranny/transfercase?
2. Is royal purple better than the MT-90? I have read great things about both.

Thanks
Woody
1. I would do it. If it's still clean then why not? It's way better than the old stuff that was in there.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I prefer Royal Purple. It tastes better.

I also bought over 40 quarts at $1 a quart. I love idiots.

:wabbit2:
Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I prefer Royal Purple. It tastes better.

I also bought over 40 quarts at $1 a quart. I love idiots.

:wabbit2:
WOW that's a DEAL!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Last edited by woodyth; 08-05-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Hopefully you drained the diff 75w90 from the tranny and transfer case into a clean container and then put it into your diffs...and saved the rest. Too expensive to waste....told you that MT90 is the bomb....
Old 08-04-2012, 11:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, what a read~! hahaha... BEEN THERE/SEEN THAT MOVIE! (Not specifically what you did, Thomas... but actually worse to be honest! haha)... It happens.... I've read SO MANY differing opinions on this... I get migraines, BUT, ... I'm thinking when I rebuild/replace my trans(my sinchros are GONE in 4th and leaving on vacation soon in 2nd haha. ) ...... It might be time to "commit the SYN" after breaking it in on G4 Castrol that I've used for years.

My 4th gear syncrho is toast... 2nd might be following it out the door, not sure..... For now, I'll continue to use the dry shift method into 4th, which works with NO grinding while using the clutch GRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSNNNNNNNNNNT's me into flinching!

Nice to meet you, Thomas... You seem to be really enjoying Yotatech! Bout time, it's been a year SINCE YOU JOINED! haha. Just messin

PS> When I did that with my oil, my neighbor wanted to use the oil in his generator.... (it was 20 minute initial motor break in oil.... hate to waste it)... But first I put it through around 300 layers of Cheesecloth(2$ for me or so)... It looked PRISTINE, and the cheesecloth caught all the metal shavings, etc. He's still using the oil in his Generator right now, hehe. I would imagine tossing 60$ WORTH OF SYN.... well, that would make me shutter!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-04-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Gear oil requirements for 87 4x4