86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Free Power From The 3.0!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
that's all fine and dandy, but i hope you your headlight back in before heading down some trails or following someone down a duty road.
i'm using this ONLY for DAYTIME HIGHWAY DRIVING.. and if toyota put the intake air pick up directly behind the headlight, don't you think they put it there for a reason??.. it is because that area sees LITTLE TO NO DUST WHEN OFFROAD (thats right.. they did design these truck to be used in 4x4) and that location picks up colder air (thus the pre-designed funnel that is sealed off from the hot engine bay.) ..so unless it is dark, muddy, raining, or if im goin 60mph in reverse haha.. i will leave it out because it is my daily driver and gas costs money.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by infiltrator
Hmm maybe for the bugs and stuff you could put like a tiny screen that air could go through too?
i was thinkin the same thing too.. but i can just remove my k&n filter and shake the bugs out easily.. one of those k&n pre-filters would be cheaper and easier (the material is kinda like pantyhose and it goes around your filter to keep it clean by filtering the larger debris first)
Old 03-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put two more lights on the front so you will have 3 running lights. May keep the fuzz away and 2 is legal and 4 is max.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
Put two more lights on the front so you will have 3 running lights. May keep the fuzz away and 2 is legal and 4 is max.
..sh-t.. so i cant put 8 piaa spotlights ($80 a pair at COSTCO!!) on my roof like i was gonna??!.. haha, thats good info, thanks.. do you know if it is illegal to drive in the daytime with a missing headlight? (not missing.. its in the glovebox haha)
Old 03-12-2008, 03:18 PM

hahaha.. and its funny... i will be LAPD fuzz soon.. i'll have to grow a moustache, increase my donut consumption & pick on skateboarders! haha!.. i'm also in training as an EMT.. what kind of ocean rescue do you do SEAIRESCUE??.. or is there another reason for the name?

off topic, but.. i'm a conventional & cnc machinist (my current proffesion), home welder/fabricator, pimp (it is easy), small biz owner.. speaking of which... if anybody wants custom bolt on mods mailed directly to them.. then pm me dammit!!!..

..and any ladies interested pm me too... i offer a competitive salary & excellent benefits! haha.. i crack myself up sometimes

Last edited by JCM4x89pu; 03-12-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 PM

If a cop felt like being a real jerk he could give you a defective vehicle ticket but you'd have to find one that's having a real bad day.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Luvmeye22re
If a cop felt like being a real jerk he could give you a defective vehicle ticket but you'd have to find one that's having a real bad day.
you would probably have to be a jerk back to him too.. most cops are really good people.. and many people are douchebags when they are getting a ticket for going 70mph in a 40.. i should be allright.. i hope.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:33 PM

Depends on the state, here in Arkansas when they did away with the yearly state inspections & stickers the police got the authority to do roadside inspections whenever they saw fit & if your vehicle isn't able to pass the inspection on the side of the road when they pull you over you can get a ticket or even have your vehicle impounded.

Here in Arkansas however, I have yet to see anyone get this inspection since they did away with the state inspections & stickers several years ago. And even if they DID by chance decide to do one, they'd probably let you put the light back in & issue a warning.

California is a little more draconian about everything except drugs, gang bangers & booze so you might be in more danger of a ticket there.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JCM4x89pu
..sh-t.. so i cant put 8 piaa spotlights ($80 a pair at COSTCO!!) on my roof like i was gonna??!.. haha, thats good info, thanks.. do you know if it is illegal to drive in the daytime with a missing headlight? (not missing.. its in the glovebox haha)
PIAA lights for $80 a pair at Costco??? That's the first I've heard of that.....

BTW, just put some panty hose on the filter.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 PM

Oh crap JCM, you do not live too far from me (just noticed). Awesome dude, I keep finding new people around me everyday.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM

This is why i love yotatech.

im gonna try this, i have a 22re but gas cost money and if i can get 21mpg outta the 4banger then ill sacrifice 3 min.

im gonna look into some sorta quick-disconnect, and i like the panty hose bug screen.

this sounds like a good cheap mod. what like $10 bucks?

just tell the cops you were on your way to checker to get a new headlight
Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 PM

Yeah, I think I heard of Olharleyman doing the panty hose first. Gotta give him cred.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

It will probably feel a little wierd walking into a store, and buying panty hose, if you are single.

And BTW, I don't think removing your headlight will cost you any money.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 PM

r u sure u were just drinking beer.what were u smokin. WOW.lol anything to save a buck.when i read that i laghed my as= off but its a good idea for a mod to ram air under the headlight or beside.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

This is actually an old Idea...meaning, it's been around for a while.

Back in the day, street racers with their muscle cars sometimes removed a headlight, or two, and routed their intake hoses to those. They used to do what ever they could to gain even a small advantage.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 PM

Throwing this out there, by no means gonna try it or anything

but anyone think there would be an advantage at all by doing this but say somehow making the intake tube into a "Y" so you could have two places to pick up cold air from or would the advantages not be worth lets say the possible dust and debris that could come in since there would be two openings for air to come in? im thinking of say almost side by side or one closer to the ground and one more in the air? just a though...
Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 PM

ah, just throw a snorkel on there! lol

Would that kind of be the same concept? Do they help performance wise?
Sorry for the hijack!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

The Oldsmobile 442 had ducts on the bottom of the bumper on both sides that cold air traveled through to the carburetor. It seems to be efficient, but I think I'd rather mount something under the metal bumper, possibly molest my plastic lower valence a little, and cut out a hole there so I could do the ducting.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:15 PM

Yeah, cutting a hole in the black bottom bumper would sound like a good idea. I think I will keep mine the way it is with my ISR for now. I need to fix my retarded headlight it points down. I finally found out what the problem is. There is a small metal mount inside that broke. If I squeeze my fingers in, I can glue it back together. Im going to try that.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 904_runner
ah, just throw a snorkel on there! lol

Would that kind of be the same concept? Do they help performance wise?
Sorry for the hijack!
Yes, but the snorkel, by design is meant to keep the air intake above the stock location. The added performance is a bonus.

By purposely adding Cold Air Ram Intake Ducts, We'll call them CARID, for short, it is possible to add more performance than a snorkel.

Think of this as a reverse snorkel. If you really wanted, you could put a butterfly valve on there, so that if you do encounter deep water, you could bypass them, and get your air from else where. I really don't think the CARID's would be too much lower than the stock air box. Maybe 12-16 inches.

Quick Reply: Free Power From The 3.0!!