86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Free Power From The 3.0!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Free Power From The 3.0!!

ok.. so i was drinking a few beers the other day and bending some abs tubing to make a ISR mod.. the beer was for the liquid confidence to follow through with the deckplate mod..
..now i REALLY didn't want to go cutting holes in my to pick up some cold air.. when i had an idea ...
..i decided to simply remove my driver side headlight.. i almost feel like toyota wants us to do this to our trucks because it literally funnels the cold outside air directly into the airbox!.. like a shaker hood!.. thus the faster you go the more benefits you will see.. which is perfect for DAYTIME freeway driving (about 90% of my driving)
..of course it looks like my truck has a black eye, but what do i care with an extra 3mpg! ..besides, its a truck.. not a show car.. and it takes me about 3 minutes to re-install the headlight, so i can just keep it in my truck and put it back in when i need it to drive at night (dangerous, not to mention illegal if you dont).. it might get annoying after a while, but with 87 octane at $3.50/gal here in socal i can spare 3 minutes and my wallet really appreciates it.
what does everyone think of this?? has anyone else tried it??.. and please please please dont turn this into a 3.0 vs 3.4 debate!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:01 PM

sounds good dude, never thought of that I kinda like both my lights, but I do like the idea of sitting aound drinking beer,
Old 03-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds good. Do you have sealed beams, or the modular ones(bulb inside)?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:08 PM

haha, yes i like having both headlights too.. so it migh become a pain in the ass later.. but more beer can fix that

besides its probably just as much of a pain as putting a deckplate in (only i would have to do it for both mud and dark).. and it FORCES the cold air it since there is a sealed funnel directly behind the hole for the headlight.. which is way better than just picking up cold air..

..i see more improvement (based on mpg measurements & 0-60 times) from this free mod than anyone is seeing from there expensive intake kits.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 PM

oh.. & i have sealed beams.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JCM4x89pu
oh.. & i have sealed beams.
Ahh, maybe the modular ones would give you more cold air flow.... I wonder if you could get a ram air tube to mount under neath the truck to pick up the cold air, and ram it into the intake, so you don't have to deal with the loss of a headlight.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 PM

Ahh, maybe the modular ones would give you more cold air flow.... I wonder if you could get a ram air tube to mount under neath the truck to pick up the cold air, and ram it into the intake, so you don't have to deal with the loss of a headlight.[/QUOTE]

thats actually what i was gonna do with the leftover abs tubing from the isr mod.. in combo with a deckplate.. but this is working so well that im gonna keep it for now (or until i get a ticket).. i think the headlight forces the intake to suck cold air in from around it.. the headlight must really choke it cuz i jumped from 15mpg to 18mpg!!.. in combo with the isr mod of course.. and took an average of 1.2 seconds off my 0-60 times! im f-ckin happy!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 PM

all this for $5 of abs tubing & a six pack! ..cant wait to see what it will do with a MAF coversion & good dyno tune.

Last edited by JCM4x89pu; 03-11-2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: exited!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

all this for $5 of abs tubing & a six pack! ..cant wait to see what it will do with a MAF coversion & good dyno tune.
What is this MAF I keep hearing about? Is it the Supra MAF?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 PM

do you have any pics Im curious to see
Old 03-11-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
What is this MAF I keep hearing about? Is it the Supra MAF?
i havent researched i much yet, but i hear the supra or certain celica MAFs might work.. but this all seems to be theory.. if anyone has any info on it i would love to hear.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4YOTA
do you have any pics Im curious to see
no pics at the moment, but it basically looks like a sealed plastic funnel directly into the airbox.. so just a 4'' hole where the headlight's ass was.. not to mention that the headlight door (grill trim around the headlight) & the sheet metal that the headlight screws into both act like funnels too & ram all that cold air right into your intake!.. turning wind resistance into VERY mild forced induction.. plus, i would assume that it also agitates the air in the intake which would cause better fuel atomization in the intake manifold.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 AM

Have you had any problems with road debris, or water? could pose a problem in adverse conditions...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flameboy
Have you had any problems with road debris, or water? could pose a problem in adverse conditions...
no.. just a few bugs in the filter.. & i regularly clean my k&n filter.. i guess i could get one of those mesh pre-filter socks.. they're really cheap, but im not worried about it...
..as far as water or mud is concerned, all i have to do is screw the headlight back in, and it becomes stock.. so it doesn't pose anymore of a problem then the stock setup, because it is the stock setup.. exactly the way it came from the factory.. that's what's cool about this.. you just remove the headlight. simple, quick, easy, & free.

..i'm also thinking of using some quick release fasteners instead of screws.. that way i could remove / replace the headlight in a few seconds rather than taking a whole 3 minutes.. cuz 3 minutes is just way too long haha.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:10 PM

allright.. i posted a pic as my avitar.. but how can i put a full detail pic of the funnel into this thread?.. i know this has been discussed a million times.. but the million times i came across the instructions i wasnt paying attention. anybody know?.. i use photobucket or something right?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:20 PM

Semi-hijack----Do you run Marlin's rear bumper?
If so, what do you like/dislike about it.....I just ordered one.
Thanks,and sorry for the hi-jack!

P.S> Nice mod, I might try something similar without removing the headlight.....rectangular funnel piece in grill area.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
allright.. i posted a pic as my avitar.. but how can i put a full detail pic of the funnel into this thread?.. i know this has been discussed a million times.. but the million times i came across the instructions i wasnt paying attention. anybody know?.. i use photobucket or something right?
Right, host the pics on a free photbucket account & then copy the direct link & paste into the [image] brackets located in the post toolbar.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's all fine and dandy, but i hope you your headlight back in before heading down some trails or following someone down a duty road.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by fastkevman
Semi-hijack----Do you run Marlin's rear bumper?
If so, what do you like/dislike about it.....I just ordered one.
Thanks,and sorry for the hi-jack!

P.S> Nice mod, I might try something similar without removing the headlight.....rectangular funnel piece in grill area.
yes i do.. I took a 9 inch angle grinder and hacked off the HUGE side pieces.. they were ugly as hell.. way too much batmobile for me.. plus, if you look directly beneath the body sheetmetal, the rear corners are well reinforced by toyota.. those little japanese dudes thought waaay ahead for us.. never forget that these trucks are designed to be abused.. thats what makes me love them

oh.. and i forgot to answer your question... haha... i love the bumper.. if i had the time to make it myself then it would be just like marlin's.. great price too!.. although i did cut out the "MC" logo and weld horse shoes in its place (decorative & structural too of course).. looks good & nobody has that sh-t

Last edited by JCM4x89pu; 03-12-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:34 PM

Hmm maybe for the bugs and stuff you could put like a tiny screen that air could go through too?

Quick Reply: Free Power From The 3.0!!