86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flamethrower Tan Injectors: Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Flamethrower Tan Injectors: Review

Here is my review of the tan injectors offered by Flamethrower.

After some issues with the orange ones, Flamethrower offered the newer and more reliable tan injectors. The set for the 3VZE was sent with the appropriate electrical connector adapters. Note, these are of much higher quality than the ones I got with the orange injectors. See pic attached.

I am not going to go through wiring details and installation, many threads for that. This is a review of the injector performance.

To date I have about 4,000 miles on the tan injectors, and I am very pleased. It's not telling to compare them to the faulty orange injectors I previously had, but for the sake of thoroughness... The injectors before were very difficult to work with. The engine shuddered, power loss, stuttering, popping/backfiring, etc. I did my best to adjust with the VAFM and found an 11 click lean setting worked 'best'. ANyway, once the tan ones went on, I set VAFM to stock and everything worked perfectly. I kept track of the oxygen sensor's output to the ECU to confirm mixture is within range for ECU to adjust, and it is.

The engine has been running smooth, no issues, no shudder no popping, no backfiring.. etc... I recommend these injectors if you want a new set that isn't going to cost you $1,000 and that work as stock.

I have been trying to determine if they are giving me better performance numbers, starting from 'power' to mpg's. I can't compare them to the orange injectors, so I'll just point out what my engine age/condition is and mpg.

My engine block has 225000 miles on it, rebuilt longblock at 216000. I have plenty of power to keep cruising at 70mph on up to moderate hilly terrain with occasional torque converter unlock (not downshift to 3rd). I believe the low end is pretty strong for a 150hp engine lugging around a 4k lb mass.

In conclusion, I am thoroughly satisfied with the tan injectors by Flamethrower, and equally satisfied with his service. If you do have any trouble, just contact him for support before banging your head against the wall like I did before.

Any questions, let me know.

Last edited by Gevo; 09-02-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:40 AM

Four months later, and the injectors are working perfectly still.

THought I'd update this since I read some others having various issues with their flamethrower injectors. They should work, if you have issues, try contacting flamethrower see what he has to say.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the tans in my 22RE and they're working great. Feels like I have a bit more power, fuel economy more or less the same compared to my 20 year old injectors.

Now, are 4 holes better than 2 when it comes to injectors? Hard to say. Comparing remanned injectors to 20 year old units filled with gunk is hardly fair.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:20 PM

Well I agree, its not fair to compate that way. But I am comparing to the orange flamethrowers that I had earlier.

Also the whole 4 hole vs. 2 hole is not that significant for me. The concept was not an unknown when Toyota designed this engine. The whole intake design should be considered not just the injectors alone. But with that said, there is always room for improvement