86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fabricated hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabricated hood scoop?

Hey has anyone here ever fabricated a hood scoop for they're pickup?I hit a dear doing 60 mph a month or so back and messed up my hood a bit,I bought another one off craigslist to replace mine but thought of fabricating a hood scoop in it close to the back over the exhaust crossover pipe to force air down there to cool it a little better.Does this sound feasable and has anyone tried it?95 4x4 xtra cab,3.0 v6.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
google wrx aftermarket scoop
something like that?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 PM

I haven't seen a hood scoop but I have seen hood louvers done a couple of different ways.

These are the easy way to do it:

http://www.hoodlouvers.com/products.html
Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a bodyman. What I did, was take a hail damaged, scrap, hood from a newer tacoma, cut out the scoop turned it around and made a cowel out of it. I sharpened the edge of the cut out scoop so well I could use it to shave, cut a hole in the hood where I needed it (not through the support) used our shops resistance spot welder and panel bonding adhesive so adhere it, did some filler work, primer, paint and now it looks so factory people don't even notice it. Which is either a good or bad thing. I don't have my camera here right now but I'll take a picture when I can
Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM

bump... pic?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingbetter
I'm a bodyman. What I did, was take a hail damaged, scrap, hood from a newer tacoma, cut out the scoop turned it around and made a cowel out of it. I sharpened the edge of the cut out scoop so well I could use it to shave, cut a hole in the hood where I needed it (not through the support) used our shops resistance spot welder and panel bonding adhesive so adhere it, did some filler work, primer, paint and now it looks so factory people don't even notice it. Which is either a good or bad thing. I don't have my camera here right now but I'll take a picture when I can
That's sounds interesting how's it working for you? We need some pic's.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 PM

When I get my car back from getting painted I needed to get the door and hood for my 4runner painted. I've been considering picking up this hood scoop from ebay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Picku...3c0461&vxp=mtr ). It's the closest thing I can find to the hood scoops that come on Tacomas/4runners.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
search for 3.4 swap hood scoops. A few good idea's in that thread.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Im really thinkin functional.

Ive seen plenty of hooh scoops on many makes and models.Including Toyota pickups.What I mean is a role specific hood scoop.The crossover pipes on the 3.0 to be specifis.I have a new,used hood for my 95 4x4 xtra to replace the slightly damaged one from hitting a dear on the highway.My idea is to put a scoop kida high on the damaged hood to channel cooling air directly down onto the cossover pipe and between the engine and firewall in general.I believe this will cool the crossover pipe and the engine compartment.Preserving the componants and longevity of gakets etc.Of coarse I will also devise a strategy to keep out rain and snow.If it goes as planned I will do it to the new used one.Im not talking about a nonfunctional cosmetic scoop.Does this sound like a good idea?I welcome any advise or opinions.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:33 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Roofmaster
Ive seen plenty of hooh scoops on many makes and models.Including Toyota pickups.What I mean is a role specific hood scoop.The crossover pipes on the 3.0 to be specifis.I have a new,used hood for my 95 4x4 xtra to replace the slightly damaged one from hitting a dear on the highway.My idea is to put a scoop kida high on the damaged hood to channel cooling air directly down onto the cossover pipe and between the engine and firewall in general.I believe this will cool the crossover pipe and the engine compartment.Preserving the componants and longevity of gakets etc.Of coarse I will also devise a strategy to keep out rain and snow.If it goes as planned I will do it to the new used one.Im not talking about a nonfunctional cosmetic scoop.Does this sound like a good idea?I welcome any advise or opinions.
Yeah like i said, check out the 3.4 swap hood scoop thread. They are functional scoops.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:32 PM

Thats a good start vital 22re

Lots of good pics on the 3.4 swap site,some good motivation to get it started.Still no talk about functionality results.Its all good Im just gonna do it.I have the hood to swap anyway.I'll let everyone see the process and hear the functionality results when Im done.Thanx
Old 07-18-2012, 04:14 PM

3.4 swap hoodscoops

The 3.4 swap hoodscoops were done to fit the motor.Cut hole in hood and cover it with a scoop.Definately a step in the right direction.They will also cool the engine bay so it is functional also.I want to also add some baffling,maybe try to direct the air flow a bit toward the crossover pipe.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM

you asked! Its working good for me. Definatly functional. I put it on, firstly, to make room for my blow off valve, and second, to try and keep underhood temps down with the extra heat from the turbo. Another guy at my shop did something similar, but his cracked because the filler was to thick. Lesson learnt.

I cut the scoop out of the old hood about 1 inch inside the primer edge underneath. That gave me lots of room to work with.

Last edited by nothingbetter; 07-18-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 PM

^^Nice job, and being functional. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of possibly louvering mine.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 PM

cheap louvers! find some old scrap bbq grill or anything that has louvers and just cut them out, cut a macthing hole where you want them and weld them in. body work and paint will finish it.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
nothingbetter .. hood looks good .. but the electrical tape on the wipers has to go !! ever thought of some 79-83 "squirters" fit throught the cowl and would be seamless

Old 07-18-2012, 06:50 PM

Thanks Slacker! You can get a much closer look when I come pick up my box. Probally call you in the next day or 2.

And so I don't get knocked for hijacking. One of our after market parts/panel suppliers sells DIY hood scoops. Just cut your hole, stick/weld/whatever it on, fill, prime and your done! I'm only know of canadian companies and that probally won't help you much.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:59 PM

Did someone say hood-scoop?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by streetlancer
Did someone say hood-scoop?

Real Nice, but it doesn't look functional from the pic's. I gotta do some research and design something also with baffling, but still your's looks real nice
Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 PM

Nice work guys

Hey nice work nothingbetter and streetlancer,Mine will be next.Might start tomorrow.Hey slacker I just spent the last 3 hours reading youre build up post.Awesome job guy.You are one thorough dude.I think youve got my favorite 4 Runner Trekker Ive ever seen.

Quick Reply: Fabricated hood scoop?