86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electric fan considerations and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Electric fan considerations and opinions

Any other mud runners and/or water crossers here running an electric fan on their rigs? Any problems with reliability of the fan itself electrical wise?

I have been thinking about the villager/taurus fan conversion, but one thing about it that stops me is the fact, I highly doubt that an "OEM" fan is gonna like mud/water kicked up at it. Yes doing water crossing etc etc you have the option of turning the fan off and right back on when your out, but when pushing through a mud pit and your on the throttle, I don't like the idea of keeping the fan off to "protect" it while the engine temp rises and your practically full throttle at 4k+ RPM for a minute or two with almost no natural air flow over the rad. I also doubt in that kinda case using the heater as a supplemental cooling agent for the engine is gonna work either.

Another pricey option is to just use a better fan, ie Derale, FAL, Hayden etc etc, but still unsure of the water resistance of the fans themselves if they warrant the extra cost.

Before anyone says it, no I am not relocating the rad into the bed or anything like that. It's staying right where it is.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
No clear "win" solution without relocation.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 AM

I suppose I can build some sort of removable "splash guard" to help keep mud from the rad. Skid plate and the rad itself helps some I guess assuming I go with a pull unit and not a push unit. But having the rubber fenderwell guards removed doesn't help either. lol.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is your mechanical fan clutch giving you problems? I would think in an enviroment like mud, simplicity is best.

I know the mechanical fan clutch robs power to the engine, I just don't know how much it does short of seeing dyno numbers.

I guess if it was me, I would stick with the Fan clutch. Less systems to fail.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:30 AM

thx snobdds, No the fan clutch (less then 15K miles BTW) is not giving me issues as far as I know. I did however have some issues with cooling due to mud on rad my last weekend out wheeling (see 2011 EC4RJ trip report thread). I figure if I can get more airflow over the rad, mud etc etc on the rad wouldn't be as much of an issue. I actually don't know the CFM rating on the fan itself with/without the clutch engaged to be sure though. But one can ASSume, I guess that any electric fan (OEM or aftermarket) has a higher CFM rating then the mechanical clutch. Especially when at lower RPM's.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I wouldn't run an electic fan. I have had so many issues with mine that I've done many things to keep it dependable. For what you do in the mud bogs, like Wabbit said, relocate it and THEN put an efan on it(because...well you'll have too!! ).
Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 AM

thx BBP, I guess me being a true yotatechie, I just need some convincing why I shouldn't spend more money on mods for my yota which is NOT the norm around here as Yotatech has a knack for emptying people's wallets after they have been here for while. lol.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 07-22-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Do you have the a/c compressor installed?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:52 AM

I don't have A/C whatsoever, it's a base as base can be model, I even had to add power steering. lol.
Heck I am surprised this thing has a rear sliding window. hahaha.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 07-22-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

I would recommend replacing your drivers motor mount with a solid poly mount to keep motor torque down. It'll help from tearing your tcase mount apart....which you should replace with a V6 mount or a bombproof mount from TG.

Shiny
Old 07-22-2011, 08:04 AM

That will help me keep the engine cool how?????
Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Hey, you wanted to spend money....just sayin....
Old 07-22-2011, 08:10 AM

Hey noone said I "wanted" to spend money, but....... I hang around you guys too often. LMAO.

With those poly mounts I've heard some people not like the extra vibration it gives, so not so sure I want that or not.

Before I get those, BJ spacers/front shocks are first.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

That's why you only install the drivers side. I have a Rockstomper mount and I cut the ears down a little:

Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is an electric fan that has a sealed motor. They're very high quality, I just bought one for my BMW. http://store.bimmerworld.com/spal-el...ans-p1160.aspx
For about 100 bucks I got a switch, a relay, 12 gauge wire and the fan. You could go with their temp sensor system, but I prefer to control my own fan (also another excuse not to let anyone drive the car hehe). I would recommend you get something like this though gauge We all know the dummy gauge in the dash is completely useless and only tells you when it's too late anyways (for the most part).

I can say with a bit of confidence, that you will be fine turning the fan off for a few minutes at a time. I've got a 328is which is making somewhere around 200HP to the wheels that has NO FAN. I've got gauges so I can keep track of the oil and water temps accurately and the only time it ever gets me nervous is coming up my long driveway (about a mile in first gear). It has a large aluminum racing radiator and it will actually never overheat, even sitting in LA traffic in the heat as long as DO NOT turn the engine off. As long as the water pump keeps the coolant moving it never gets dangerous (with the large radiator). The reason I am putting the fan in is that I have to turn the motor off when I get home (up the long driveway) and then once the coolant stops moving the temps begin to rise from the residual heat, it hasn't caused a problem yet (car has been fanless for 3 years). Keep in mind the coolant is changed every year and it has a very high quality radiator. My point is that a fan isn't going to make or break you in a matter of a few minutes.

I know it's not a completely accurate comparison, BUT it does serve to show that a fan isn't completely necessary at all times as long as the cooling system is up to snuff.

I would be more concerned with the damage of filling your engine bay with mud and water than the lack of fan for the minute you're doing it.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 AM

I recently bought the car, but have been wrenching on it with my buddy for the last 3 years, here is the mounting system we came up with and the fan.

Notice the seal around the motor.

Bracket is made out of aluminum angle iron with some holes drilled in with for some 1/4 inch bolts.

secured with zip ties and isolated with some pieces of rubber. All cheap and easy hardware store items.
Oh, be sure to include a fuse in the wiring just in case.

Note: I do not recommend having a user controlled fan without at least a water temp gauge and would suggest an oil temp gauge. Running your motor too cool is will result in increased wear due to the oil being too thick.

Last edited by SCToy; 07-22-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if you go with a bigger 3 core rad then put on a electric fan on? That way you can keep the fans off longer
Old 07-23-2011, 08:01 AM

don't run an electric fan! i got an idea because it used to be a problem on other forums i have been on in which i solved for people. i notice that these fans sits very very far away from the radiator in the shroud. which mean it is VERY inefficient and pulling massive amounts of air thru the radiator. reason being why people think electric fans work better... they mount ON the radiator. if we had a little spacer and maybe a better fan blade design to fill even a extra 1/2 inch of the 1 inch gap around each side of the fan inside the shroud. Would make a BIG difference. Can also figure out another way to redirect a little air with some paneling/plate for like an air ducting and mud deflector on the bottom.. And you would be suprised how well a very minor amount of air redirection works!!

I have been seriously contemplating doing these type of things even though i do not ever have cooling problems. it would help to know my system is AWESOME. and i have solid motor mounts from LC so i dont have to worrry with my fan being close about it vibrating or falling into the radiator. BTW, my truck does vibrate quite a bit with my LC pro cam and the mounts... but i don't mind... make it feel like its idling like a big ol' V8 that is all cammed out.. now hopefully my exhaust i build for it today will make it sound like a muscle truck... lol
Old 07-23-2011, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another way (and a good one i have found) is flex-a-lite's Balck Magic extreme fan ,use one one my pony car(1050 RWHP) and got one for the toyota. Has yet to let me down one either vehicle, cost is extreme (about $350 ish)but its worth it for a complete kit.(comes with mounting brackets not through rad. ties, and all the hardware) mine has been submerged in salt water and is still kickin..

Link: http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/black-magic.html

Last edited by Mikel1871; 07-23-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 AM

I have used a 2 speed Ford fan on my truck for years. I have Street Rods and Customs and that is the only fan that has really worked. I am pulling 300HP in my truck, 650HP in my 32 Roadster, 750 HP in my 32 3 Window Coupe, 550HP in my merc and none of them has every over heated in heavy traffic and 95+ degree heat. The fan easily bolts to my stock Toyota shroud. Oh!, all of my cars have A/C.

Quick Reply: Electric fan considerations and opinions