86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EGR Delete? Any available?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrimReaper
Go by an exhaust shop and see if your converter is plugged. To much back pressure will cause those symptoms with the EGR. It forces to much exhaust through the EGR.

Again at the times you are accelerating from a light it should be closed. If it isn't you have a problem.
Well I must really have a problem because I don't run a cat and have a 2.5" exhaust w/downey headers, and two race mufflers.

And the egr system has checked out working perfectly by Toyota dealership, as well as the egr vacuum modulator and valve are both brand new. And all lines have been cleaned thoroughly, all within the year.

Last edited by Crymson; 10-09-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:20 PM

Also, EGR systems are many times to blame for helping blow head gaskets.

As for the positioning of the 3vz EGR system, I would not really think its a large factoring agent. But as for the 7mgte, it IS possibly the biggest contributor to BHG. Of course 51lbs/tq from the factory on a turbo motor's head was not satisfactory either LOL (pertaining to the 7m, and quite possibly the 3vz).

Either way, its an ugly and rusty looking piece that ceases to opporate properly after some years. And the same goes for the Charcoal Canister.

-Jonathan
Old 10-09-2006, 06:46 PM

this thread is pretty interesting.
I disconected my EGR awhile back & my 90 4runner ran like crap & had no pwr.
Once hooked back up it was back to normal. I now have headers & a catback so I might try this again & use a block off plate this time to completely remove the EGR instead of just disconecting the vac lines.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:05 PM

Hey Grim, I am not cuddling up to your opinions about polution, just your explinations of the EGR system. I am not naive about the R12 patent timings, I just used R12 as an example of freon, explaining that catalytic converters are not the Ozone saving devices the other poster implied. I probably read about the patent deal here from you a while ago.

I am not a power plant scientist, but I don't buy into the electric power plants being dirtier (potentially anyway) than all the crappy old Dodge minivans I see smoking down the roads all over Kansas where we have no emissions laws. I am gonna go way off topic and say all those 2 cycle lawnboy motors are the worst. I guess we would have to see if shutting all the cars in Houston for a week would improve the air quality vs electric plants. Oh, and Deisel Semi's sitting in truck lots idleing all day and night would be another demon of the subject, nasty.

I am all for wind, and biodiesel, being from Kansas, we have both the wind and material for biofuels.

The thing that ticks me off about the emissions bypass is when people that are trying to work within the tread lightly ideas of off road, hack off emissions parts and think that the little they pollute doesnt affect anything.

Oh, and a 3" exhaust might be a bit to large for a 22re, but if your talking v6, NM
Old 10-09-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hell 3" is WAY too big for the 3vze, or the 5vzfe for that matter!

One point to make, a diesel idling is likely burning at a ratio of 100:1 (air to fuel) or higher....meaning damn near zero emissions. In fact on a idle while going down hill most modern diesels dont inject ANY diesel, meaning the AFR is infinite! Believe me a diesel idling is the least thing you need worry about in terms of emissions.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-09-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
hell 3" is WAY too big for the 3vze, or the 5vzfe for that matter!

One point to make, a diesel idling is likely burning at a ratio of 100:1 (air to fuel) or higher....meaning damn near zero emissions. In fact on a idle while going down hill most modern diesels dont inject ANY diesel, meaning the AFR is infinite! Believe me a diesel idling is the least thing you need worry about in terms of emissions.
Well, I worked at UPS putting fuel in teh delivery trucks. I had to walk around in ths yard with all the diesels idling... The air was awful, I quit becasue of the way my lungs felt and how dizzy waiting in the truck lot made me. That is not clean air fuming out of those things.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:55 PM

Then you will be delighted to hear the Biodesiel has zero carbon emissions (black soot). I was at a UT Knoxville game last month and the campus uses buses that run on Biodesiel.

There was NO carbon being expelled out of the exhaust, and the exhaust did not even smell like regular desiel! Actually it really did not even have a smell!

As far as exhaust sizing, The real restrictin comes from the cas small ported exhaust manifolds. After the crossover pipe ( which is like 2" in diameter if that) then it will 3" back. Its a V6, most of its power is not down low like a v8, the recipricating mass is not enough to do so, and even the stock cams are pretty radical enough to not have alot of low end torque.

Hence the v8 swap.

-Jonathan
Old 10-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
For anyone still interested in the original question of how to bypass an EGR, you need to install a 16,000 ohm resistor, available for pennies from Radio Shack, to fool the ECU into thinking there is still an EGR present & working....
Old 10-10-2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by millertime_t1
i just made some for a 22re-- do u have any machinist friends?
Got a picture of one? Im assuming it's just a blockoff plate or is it more. I know my EGR isnt on at the moment cause it has a screw hole that needs to get retaped. Im not sure on what I plan on doing up here since im in an emmisions county.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

L C Eng. sales a bunch of block plates
Old 10-10-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
For anyone still interested in the original question of how to bypass an EGR, you need to install a 16,000 ohm resistor, available for pennies from Radio Shack, to fool the ECU into thinking there is still an EGR present & working....

Where does the resistor go, can you show how?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to be careful removing the EGR valve. It's what allows higher compression engines to run on today's crappy gas. Removing it can cause detonation which in turn will cause the computer to retard the timing to compensate, thus robbing the engine of power in the process.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by trythis
Well, I worked at UPS putting fuel in teh delivery trucks. I had to walk around in ths yard with all the diesels idling... The air was awful, I quit becasue of the way my lungs felt and how dizzy waiting in the truck lot made me. That is not clean air fuming out of those things.
Honestly its cleaner than what a yard of gassers would put out! What you were likely experiencing was a very minimal hypoxia. That is, not enough oxygen

Complete combustion, yeilds heat, water (H2O,) and carbon dioxide (CO2.) Incomplete combustion on the other hand generates Carbon Monoxide (CO,) Carbon Dioxoide, and water. In internal combustion engines you can also have hydrocarbon emissions from the fuel that remains unburned.

While diesels dont perform COMPLETE combustion, they do generate less CO compared to gassers since the combustion is more efficient...also there are no hydrocarbons released if the exhaust is clear in a diesel, unlike on a gasser since they have to run near stioch to keep from melting pistons and such....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-10-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:58 PM

This is an interesting thread.

Grim, I thought the valves got burned up (on the 3vze) beacuse of that pesky crossover pipe.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesel fumes aren't as safe as some of you are leading us to believe...

In a report released on Tuesday, US environmental regulators for the first time formally classified diesel exhaust as a likely carcinogen.
http://www.oncolink.com/resources/ar...onth=9&id=8817

I think since that report came out deisel fumes have been reclassified as a known carcinogenic but I didn't see anything to that effect in my 30 second search.

The fact remains though that you shouldn't be breathing it. I saw several links that were downright scary before the one that quote above came from.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
You need to be careful removing the EGR valve. It's what allows higher compression engines to run on today's crappy gas. Removing it can cause detonation which in turn will cause the computer to retard the timing to compensate, thus robbing the engine of power in the process.
Thought the 22RE cant adjust the timing by itself
Old 10-11-2006, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Diesel fumes aren't as safe as some of you are leading us to believe...

http://www.oncolink.com/resources/ar...onth=9&id=8817

I think since that report came out deisel fumes have been reclassified as a known carcinogenic but I didn't see anything to that effect in my 30 second search.

The fact remains though that you shouldn't be breathing it. I saw several links that were downright scary before the one that quote above came from.
And that study was based on early 90's diesels. Todays diesels are helluva lot cleaner than those, and more powerful, and more efficient. But i agree, no one should be breathing their exhuasts! And im sure with enough exposure to anything can be termed "carcinogenic."
Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 AM

Just silly how off topic this is, but UPS does not drive new trucks. Some of them had to ahve been 20+ years old. Ran great, but not new, and not clean. Hypoxia? I will buy that, but still stinky as hell.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:58 AM

oh damn, i thought they would have kept their fleet up and close to new. Yeah I wouldnt want to be in that yard breathing those fumes either! Its interesting though in the UK people buy diesels to be more friendly to the environment! But then again over there im sure they are ultra stringent on diesel emissions...we are slowly following suite there.

Cummins/Dodge finally dumped the 5.9L I6 platform for a larger displacement I6 to offset the drag the new smog equipment they are putting on the diesels to meed 2007 standards. Same with Ford dumping the 6.0 in favor of the 6.4 sequential turbocharged powerstroke. I dunno what GM has in mind for their Duramaxx... As you can tell im a HUGE diesel fan!

OK back to EGR deleting!! lol
Old 10-11-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jon_7248
Thought the 22RE cant adjust the timing by itself
I believe the computer has the ability to adjust the timing as needed. The initial 8 degree advance is far too little for anything much above idle. My 88 has no mechanical advance.

Quick Reply: EGR Delete? Any available?