Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Diagnosis help ~TC's~ 3.0 V6 (93 runner) radiator overheats and dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:38 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Correct it's a used radiator, but I washed it out and made sure it wasn't clogged before installing it.

The output where the lower radiator hose attaches is cracked got a new one, will be installing it tonight with a new tstat
Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My only experience with something similar turned out to be a failing water pump as the impeller slipped on the shaft, but wasn't a Toyota.

Toyota's remanufactured line might include a pump for your truck and save $$$.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota's reman. line?!... What is this BT? never heard of it before... where do you get them?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Toyota dealership carries reman. Good stuff, definitely better than refurbished, carries the same warranty and priced much lower than new.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 AM

did you say your truck is on an incline if so that would cause air pockets in the system and cause it to over heat. and for the water pump it has a weep hole and it will leak when its gone bad. for the fan clutch when mine went it out you could hear it slip then catch it was very annoying
Old 07-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BT17R
Any Toyota dealership carries reman. Good stuff, definitely better than refurbished, carries the same warranty and priced much lower than new.
Hmm... I'll have to look into that... I may need a new steering pump soon... mine is noisy all of a sudden [fluid level is ok lol]... assist is almost zero... feels kind of pulse-ish when starting off...
Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Fix one leak, allows the pressure to build up higher and see the next one ... water pump is leaking out the weep hole pretty bad.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

ARGH this is such a PITA but so far doesn't look like a HG, so we should count our blessings!
Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
well, doing the waterpump is nothing to pretend to be blessed about, lol...

im having a similar situation with my 3vz myself... started overheating in the first 300 miles of our 2500 mile road trip... replaced that fan clutch, but it didnt help at all...

i know for a fact that mine has a pinhole in the radiator, but i have a feeling that something is probably clogged up... most likely due to the fact that i have about half a gallon of BARS stopleak in there... lol...

anyways, im keepin my eye on this thread, and im hopin for the best for you...
Old 07-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah the stop-leak might get you home, but will just clog you up in the end. (Well maybe not YOU, but the raidiator system) That sucks yours happened on a road trip. Another blessing for us to count because we had just returned from a 200 mile trip (VIA Rocky Mountain National Park) 2 days earlier. Can you imagine the stink eye we woulda gotten with coolant pouring out onto the pristine tundra? (We didn't have our spill kit with us cuz we weren't wheeling).

But yeah a water pump is a hell of a lot cheaper and dare I say easier than ripping into the engine for the HG. We're gonna go ahead and do the timing belt while in there (though we have about 30K left on that). And to make sure, we are gonna use tippy's fan clutch as well. (Which had been recently replaced before she died)

After all this is done, I'm not gonna have any parts left to put tippy back together. LOL - like I'm in a rush or something.

Last edited by Lysmachia; 07-15-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Well them parts was fer a 3.0 right? and last word was you'uns was doin' a 3.fer was'nt you? so's them old parts was basically ok but not keyrect right?
So whut r' you'all cryin' about? Now you's ken use the right parts...

Just trying a little hill billy speak

Of course if Ron has bought the farm you now have a good excuse to get working on Tippy... even if you fix Ron he is now clearly unreliable so a strong case can be made for Tippy to be brought back to life as a back-up...
Old 07-15-2009, 01:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

That has actually kinda been the argument all along, just kept getting de-prioritized ... nothing like this to ratchet it up the ole' list.

Once I get Ron back running, you can bet I'm going to get that crossover figured out and the engine in Tippy (even if not wired up)
Old 07-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Gotta find where that other leak is tonight.

FSM says you should pressurize to 17 psi (although the cap is only rated to 13 - whatever)
And that's if your cap seal is still good.

Sorry to see your troubles, dang those 3VZs. May the force be with you.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Well tippy has a host of other problems other than the lack of engine... I think that is why I am dragging my feet. Her suspension needs work. I am worried the front axle (or housing) might be bent, and then the blower motor is having electrical gremlins. Oh and I think her rear R&P is toast too. If I had enough money I am so tempted to cut it all off tippy and put it on a 1st gen 4runner or pre-taco.

All of this does not take into consideration that the body is THRASHED!

If I had enough money I am so tempted to cut it all off tippy and put it on a 1st gen 4runner or pre-taco. It's not like i care about the frame when I cut it all off with a plasma cutter....

So yeah Fixing Ron really is a better priority

Last edited by Lysmachia; 07-15-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

In that case I vote Tippy be put out of her misery... I see a nice 1gen runner in your future...
Old 07-16-2009, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Poor Tippy
Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

She lived a good life though. We just beat her into the ground while doing it!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Even though the paint work made her look like she was covered in parrot poop...

To Tippy

Last edited by aviator; 07-16-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:26 PM

Red face

Stop it! This isn't a thread about the life and death of Tippy

Tippy's sat a good while, she's "just resting while she decides what to do next."
She should donate her engine though?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

So MrDoug came over at 6 - and he and troy worked for 4 hours straight replacing the water pump (which was definitely failed. the pump was completely seized!!) then the timing belt, then the power steering pump (stole that one from tippy) Then they got the radiator in (the one we also stole from tippy) and when they pressurized it... well it had a new pinhole leak. ARGH! By this time 9:45 we decided there was no way we were going to get the belts back on (they needed to be replaced anyway - one had serious wear) and then the fan back on... AND then the skid....

*sigh* So Ron will not be going to Buena Vista for our Wheelers For The Wounded run. But I feel better about this decision since I really would have had to go get the KM2's 1st thing tomorrow and on top of that we would have been driving Ron around untested with a chance that he blows up again.

So now we will have time next week to get this fixed right and have Ron ready for the Tripple ByPass on Aug 1st!

Quick Reply: Diagnosis help ~TC's~ 3.0 V6 (93 runner) radiator overheats and dies