86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold air intakes...anyone using em?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder

you MIGHT be stuck with fabbing up a custom job...

Isn't Toyota a direct translation from Norse that means "fabrication"???
Old 06-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have one on a NA engine. It sucks. On any NA engine, I recommend not wasting the money.

It might do better on the turbo. I'd give it a shot, and let us know how yours does.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recommend you get a high flow filter element for your existing airbox and run a snorkel from that through your fender and up your A-pillar. I'll bet your turbo diesel gets the engine bay temp way up there, so if you get one of those cheapo ebay kits, I feel like you'd be setting yourself up for premature engine failure. Going snorkel is almost never something we toyota owners regret doing, and it'll be gulping cold outside air straight in to your engine. There are tons of threads on here for snorkel builds, the best in my opinion utilize exhaust tubing and run through the fender. Do some searching. Using thermal wrapping or getting your exhaust manifolds ceramic coated may help keeping that temp down and actually get you some more power out of the deal.

Also, I don't know if you have stock sized tires, but if you don't a re-gear could get you the benefits you're looking for.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:20 PM

I got a K&N cold air kit on my 3.0 5speed i like it the k&n dyno chart sais it adds 3-4 hp. I like the throaty sounds it gives when accelerating and i could feel a lil difference in the seat of my pants. That was back when my truck was pretty much stock 2" BL and 33's. I still like the sound and eaz of cleaning it instead of having to buy a new filter everytime it gets dirty. If u get one look into getting a filter wrap. it will help keep it cleaner longer.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by swapped89
I got a K&N cold air kit on my 3.0 5speed i like it the k&n dyno chart sais it adds 3-4 hp. I like the throaty sounds it gives when accelerating and i could feel a lil difference in the seat of my pants. That was back when my truck was pretty much stock 2" BL and 33's. I still like the sound and eaz of cleaning it instead of having to buy a new filter everytime it gets dirty. If u get one look into getting a filter wrap. it will help keep it cleaner longer.
uuh... he said 3.0l turbo diesel, not 3.0l gas like ours... its a totally different deal. He has a totally different intake than ours.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by NYChopshop
uuh... he said 3.0l turbo diesel, not 3.0l gas like ours... its a totally different deal. He has a totally different intake than ours.
i know. i was just givin him my 2 cents.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by McQuaid
Here's what im working with
Is that a tear in your intake tube? If so, I would get that replaced from a breaker's yard as soon as possible. Nothing eats up valves and rings (not to mention turbo internals! eesh!) like big fat dirt particles flying through the tape-bandaged wound it appears you have there...

Last edited by NYChopshop; 06-25-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by NYChopshop
Nothing eats up valves and rings (not to mention turbo internals! eesh!) like big fat dirt particles...
a hex nut will beat a few particles of sand any day

a buddy of mine had his mustang fall victim to a shabby cold-air intake...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by swapped89
i know. i was just givin him my 2 cents.
well, keep in mind that we have our air flow sensor problem, the silencer box to remove, and a stupidly and very differently designed airbox. I was just saying that nomatter how much we do or don't like our airboxes, the gains a K&N of sorts would provide him is almost as tough to relate for us as a honda civic or somesuch. Have you had any problems with your k&n element itself? I've had mixed results with their products before. It worked out great on my 91 s-15 jimmy, but on my grandmother's mercury mystique, the car started pulling a lot of dirt through the filter, and as we can imagine, Fix Or Repair Dailys dont take abuse too well.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 AM

cheers guys, so altho the turbo diesel has its advantages.....im very limited when it comes to my air intake?? i personally dont actually want a snorkle, ive a loada mates tellin me i should get one but i really dont want to so that why i went looking into a cone filter element
Old 06-26-2009, 12:13 AM

I say get a high flow replacement filter for your existing air box and don't get one of those cheap crap mods. If your buddies are all leaning on you to get a snorkel, I assume its just a matter of time!
Old 06-27-2009, 06:10 AM

Righteo....a mate of mine, a mechanical engineer has suggested something intriguing.....to cut my back box off and run the pipe out either side of infront of the back wheels...with the tip cut to a 45degree angle....it will be seriously loud....and give me the grumble i wanted...but i will lose some power...what you guys think???
Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 AM

Ok, here we go, heres my idea....firstly...remove the airbox altogether...and the line running across the top of the engine, pic 1 , this invloves no cutting of any of my genuine fittings....

secondly, buy some piping cut to length and route it off turbo toward the back of the radiator

and lastly, fit a cone K&N onto the end of that, getting cold air from my rad

what you guys think??
Old 06-27-2009, 10:18 AM

not so much, honestly... I feel like there is no such thing as 'cold air from the radiator' for one, and if you are sucking in air that passed through that heat exchanger, you will wind up losing power - especially with the running temps of a turbodiesel. To me, it looks like you were blessed with one of the best functioning intake systems toyota put on our 4runners in the entire last decade. No silencer box, big diameter tubing... the 3.0l, even the turbodiesel, won't suck more air than that can provide. A high flow internal element like a K&N replacement filter would do you much better and be much safer for your engine than an exposed filter sitting in the middle of the engine bay sucking in hot air. If you want some minor performance boost, I suggest you thermally wrap the intake tube from the filter element over the block. This should help you get some more cold air. Any high-flow filter element will give you a deeper throatier sound. If you really want a sound improvement, buy a performance muffler!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:45 AM

making my own, have a spare uicp from my evo. Using a 83 supra afm. That will last till next year when I go stand alone.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:12 AM

cheers guys, im still stuck and done know what to do, i may just try it as no modifications are needed so if im feeling like i should put it back to standard i can do so very easily
Old 07-07-2009, 01:10 AM

right guys...ive done it.....my new intake.....................................

Old 07-07-2009, 04:15 PM

I think that is going to suck in alot of hot air from the engine bay.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:02 AM

nah, the main fan andaux fan are providing the engine bay and especially that area with some cold air, and i have the old intake still on with the filter out so theres fresh air ruinning directly onto the cone
Old 07-08-2009, 01:01 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
looks good, man, congrats... feel anything register on the butt dyno??

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes...anyone using em?