86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold Air Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intake Kit

I just bought a 1988 Toyota V6 4WD pickup and installed a cold air intake. This is the first truck and 4WD that I have ever owned. Before the install it idled around 700rpm, now it idles around 1400rpm. Sometimes it will get as low as 1000rpm when its warmer, but not most of the time. Also, when I push on the brake and sometimes when I push on the clutch it will drop from 1400 to around 1000rpm. I don't understand why it would do this. The idle will also surge on occasion. I tried adjusting the idle screw on the top of the throttle body and it didn't make a difference. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this but I also happen to have a rear main seal leak and my valve cover gaskets are leaking, which from what I have been told may suggest that I have a clogged PCV valve. I don't see why that would matter as for the pre or post cold air intake situation though. I tried to get the PCV valve out so I could put the new one in but all I managed to do was remove some skin from my knuckles and I was lucky to get the darn hose back on the valve. I hope I don't have to pull the plenom/air intake chamber to get that out. I read about a vice grips and prying trick I will try before pulling the plenom. I really don't want to put the stock air filter system back on so I would appreciate any advice that can be offered. Thank You.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
you will have a surging idle with the brakes applied if the idle is too high. There is no way around that, it's a safety feature called a fuel cut.

Since the idle was fine fore the cold air install you must have caused a vacuum leak while installing the the intake. Fix the vacuum leak issue and your problems should go away.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
PCV valve is a bear; I had to remove my entire plenum to get to mine, was stuck like chuck in there. Had to cut it out with a knife and giant pliers. good opportunity to clean the EGR carbon from your plenum though. replaced the hose with some fuel line but some guys have used SS braided line so you can yoink on it for future replacement/checks, good idea. Doubt it's your ussue here though.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:33 PM

What brand of intake stuff did you put in the truck?

im thinking about doing the same but I dont know how it will affect my truck, I have a 1994 SR5 pickup and i want to add a little more spunk to it.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM

i`m curious of the brand of the intake you installed
Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pics now!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:37 AM

As for the brand the pic on the instructions it says CHROMEINTAKES. I got it on Ebay for about $35 with shipping. I checked out all the vacuum lines that I could see and everything looks ok. I did notice however that the large ribbed hose that hooks up to the throttle body has lots of cracks in the ribs and had one rib that was previously siliconed. In the process of manhandling that hose on and off a few times and cleaning it out I may have ruined it. I am going to wrap the hose with plastic and tape to seal it up just to find out for sure if that is the problem. I should have gotten the cold air intake kit that came with the chrome pipe that goes all the way up to the throttle body, it was only about $10 more. Had I known ahead of time that the ribbed hose was in such bad shape and is nearly impossible to find a new one I would have bought the better cold air intake kit. I did take some before and after pics but I guess the KB size is to big to post on here.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 AM

I wrapped and taped the ribbed air hose that connects to the throttle body and it only got up to about 1200rpm when I started it, once warm it was down to 1100rpm. Then I turned the idle adjustment screw to the right 3 full turns and now it idles at 750rpm with no more surging when I step on the brake. According to the sticker on the hood I should idle at 800rpm so I will adjust it to that and order the full length cold air intake kit so I can replace that busted hose. The motor runs great now. I'm anxious to see if this helps out my gas mileage any. I was getting 16.74 miles to the gallon on the last tank, most of that being before the new cold air intake install.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 AM

Cold Air Intake Pics

I had to do some cropping and resizing to get these pics down to KB size allowed. As you can see I was able to free up a whole bunch of space with this new setup as compared to the stock air filter system. It also makes it easier to hook up the wire for the drivers side head light if you need to change a bulb. It is also supposed to be a lifetime filter that you just clean with a K&N recharge kit when necessary. Its not shown in this pic but I got about a 20" piece of tubing to replace that stubby overflow hose that will spray your nice air filter with coolant if the radiator overflows. If you install a kit like this I recommend you mount the coolant overflow hose so that it sprays down on the ground instead of on your filter like the stubby one does. It only costs about $3 at Oreilly's for a section of that hose that is more than long enough to do the trick. I will add more pics once I get the old ribbed air hose replaced with the chrome pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Intake Kit-coldairintakesm.jpg   Cold Air Intake Kit-coldairintake3sm.jpg  

Last edited by rykeebobee; 03-23-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a heads up... your new intake is actually a "warmer air intake" compared to stock. Stock pulls air from behind the driver's side headlight, ei external air.

The new one is pulling warm air from the engine bay. :s

That said, you have probably done the ISR mod when you did the intake work yes? No more extraneous silencing tubing... better air flow from the air box to throttle body. You should see a bit better mid range torque, and faster throttle response.

Finally, what is the intake pipe made of? I've heard horror stories of the cheap plastic in some of these kits shattering/splitting something fierce.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM

I don't know what ISR mod means. I know that the pipe itself is chrome plated aluminum. The filter does pull some air from behind the headlight as it is not a capped end filter, it has about a 3" deep space in the nose there with ribs just like the external part of the filter that you see in the pics above. The only plastic on it is the stock elbow that goes to the ribbed hose that connects to the throttle body. I will be replacing that as soon as my new kit gets here. I ordered a whole new cold air intake kit that comes with everything from the filter to the throttle body except the existing mass airflow sensor, that way I have an extra filter for when I need to clean it, I won't have to have the truck down for a day while the filter I just cleaned dries out. I can swap the dirty for the clean filter and clean the other one at my leisure.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 PM

I have the same intake on my 93 4Runner and I have nothing but good things to say about it. My acceleration has improved greatly.

ADDED:
Here's a pic of my ChromIntakes intake, and as you can see, it's identical to the OP's.

Name:  430705_10150882886926110_546301109_12668256_584830075_n.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  149.3 KB

Since this photo was taken (which was immediately after install) I have added clamps to all the hoses to reduce practically all vacuum loss. A+ intake, IMO. Next mod will most likely be a GFChip (gfchips.com).

Last edited by nickmeece; 03-25-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 05-17-2012, 03:32 PM

did you do the chip mod? and did it do anything?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ick. Don't do that chip junk. If you REALLY think you need it, research it. Read reviews, then go to radio shack, and buy the same resistor the "name brand" chips use, probably higher quality, and wire it yourself. If anyone can install one, you can do it all yourself, too. All the "chip" (read, resistor) does is fool your ecu into allowing more fuel in. Usually by increasing its IAT sensor values. Won't decrease emissions and won't give you 60 HP. Unless, of course, you read it as hit points. That it will, and butt-dynos will show off the seat improvement, as well.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, and feed it more air. Hunt for AFM swap on here.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 PM

where did you buy the kit and how much was it, when I get rid of this code 52 and can drive my runner I want to do this mod
Old 05-19-2012, 04:19 PM

AZSPEED,
Read post #7 up above for that info.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:27 PM

thats an ebay cold air intake my lil bros got one on his 90 4runner. i just did my isr mod a few days ago cut up an old subaru cold air i had but have seen others use 3inch exhaust pipe that they had a muffler shop bend for themName:  isrmod.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  118.8 KB
Old 05-19-2012, 11:29 PM

nickmeece

your gonna wanna put clamps on all those hoses as they all end up leaking. the caused bad idle on my bros 4runner

Last edited by black914runner; 05-19-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 PM

hho generator

So this is my first post and in need of some assistance. i have a 91 4runner 3.0 and im trying to install an hho generator on the car. i ordered my generator from the mileageshop.com and it seems that i need a cold air intake to make some more room to make the unit fit. i plan to do some off roading so thought i would stay away from air intakes that con take in too much dust so im looking at the s&b intake. has anybody installed a hho generator and if so what have you been able to do to solve the issue with lack of space
thanks

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Kit