Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

chop up the 4runner? or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i slept on the idea and i decided im gonna give this a try. a friend on mine has an old top that has already been cut up so im gonna experiment with that before it cut up my good top. i will surely do a write up with plenty of pics

im gonna try to keep it pretty factory looking. i wanna make it so i can put a full size top on it and you wouldn't be able to tell. i also have a few extra plans to go with it such as a prerunner style spare tire carrier in the bed and a few lights on top of the factory roll bar. also maybe ill get a chance to fix my rear window while im at it.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take pics and do a write up. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Just Subscribing to see where this really goes...
Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 AM

does anyone know where i can find some good pics of the internals of a 4runner tailgate?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by hjkmotor
does anyone know where i can find some good pics of the internals of a 4runner tailgate?
tell me what you need pics of and i can get some of mine, or do you mean a gutted one?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM

well bad news guys. being this truck is my only car i would need to borrow another car while i do this. well i was gonna borrow my dads truck for the mean time but he sold it, so i have no car to use.

i do still wanna do this but i guess i will have to wait unless i can find a car to use. sorry i wanted to see it as much as you.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well bad news guys. being this truck is my only car i would need to borrow another car while i do this. well i was gonna borrow my dads truck for the mean time but he sold it, so i have no car to use.

i do still wanna do this but i guess i will have to wait unless i can find a car to use. sorry i wanted to see it as much as you.
get a motorocycle. cheap, efficient, and can be useful later on.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:50 AM

yeah i would love to get a motorcycle but that requires the bike, gettin a motorcycle license and you gotta remember poor college student here lol
Old 09-14-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Then you could chop the motorcycle. A one wheeler would be pretty unique too right?

Good luck on the project. How much do you think you could get if you sold it and got an extra cab pickup??

And BTW, I got a softopper. Not too many out here, so it looks unique, was very versatile in the summer, completely sheilded from the elements, and could go from full top to safari style or fully stored in a matter of a minute or two. Just a thought before you start hacking and can't reverse it.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Then you could chop the motorcycle. A one wheeler would be pretty unique too right?

Good luck on the project. How much do you think you could get if you sold it and got an extra cab pickup??

And BTW, I got a softopper. Not too many out here, so it looks unique, was very versatile in the summer, completely sheilded from the elements, and could go from full top to safari style or fully stored in a matter of a minute or two. Just a thought before you start hacking and can't reverse it.

pretty heavy on the sarcasm. didn't think i could pick it up?

well you don't have to worry about it right now. i would really like to get a soft top tho. if i could find a soft top fairly cheap i prob wouldnt do the chop.

if you hate to see the 4runner hacked up find me a soft top.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:26 PM

Gotta be picky now....geeze.

http://www.softopper.com/4Runner.asp...FYZM5Qod2mQNtA

Old 09-14-2009, 12:31 PM

what would really be cool is a soft top that encloses everything except the cargo area. like what i want to do but a soft top that easily comes off.

one like this but for a 4runner Image Hosting
Old 09-14-2009, 12:38 PM

pretty heavy on the sarcasm. didn't think i could pick it up?

well you don't have to worry about it right now. i would really like to get a soft top tho. if i could find a soft top fairly cheap i prob wouldnt do the chop.

if you hate to see the 4runner hacked up find me a soft top.

The sarcasm was for the motorcycle, but not about the 4Runner. I wouldn't chop mine, but everyone can give their opinion, but it doesn't mean you can't do whatever you want you want with YOUR 4Runner. So to that, I say good luck. I have, and I am sure you have seen, alot of cool 4Runners that have been altered (sounds better then hacked or chopped) or else you wouldn't be thinking about it.

And I would hope you would pick up sarcasm about a uni-motorcycle!!!

And lumpy posted you up the right link. Softopper.com. They have can-back and killer toy tops which look like awesome soft tops, but with their frame system, you would have a heck of a time getting a bike in there.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:41 PM

what would really be cool is a soft top that encloses everything except the cargo area. like what i want to do but a soft top that easily comes off.

And that tonneau would be pretty sweet. Better make friends with someone that can sew pretty well or you will have to cut off the last 4 feet of your 4Runner in order for that thing to fit!!
Old 09-14-2009, 12:41 PM

Would you be able to get a bike in there with the roll bar anyway??? Either way the frame system or the bar it's going to be difficult. I could be wrong though, don't have a nifty 1st gen...yet.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:43 PM

I had something like this for my Bronco years back, great for the summer!!!

Something alone these lines.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:24 PM

booooo! don't bob the 1st gen... do a 2nd gen! 1st gens are getting harder and harder to come by, and you can remove the back anyway! Get a second gen! Chop off the back, weld the rear of the 'runner roof right on, install power rear window (score!), and a bobbed pickup bed. I think that's just about the coolest major hacking of bodywork you can do for a 'runner. Then again, opinions are worth just about what you pay for them...

Edit:

By the way, don't underestimate the sheer vast quantity of work it would take to get this right. 100 times more conversions/chops/alterations have been started than finished right. Here is one that falls in that category, but I very much liked it - in fact, whilst I lived in Los Angeles I was considering buying it to finish the project for myself:
https://www.yotatech.com/f191/312nec...thread-138447/

Last edited by NYChopshop; 09-14-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Would you be able to get a bike in there with the roll bar anyway??? Either way the frame system or the bar it's going to be difficult. I could be wrong though, don't have a nifty 1st gen...yet.
im not sure how a different top would change this but iv fit two bikes im the back of my truck without folding the seats down. thats all iv ever tried but i could probably fit at least three with the seats up and maybe 5 with the seats down. those are BMX bikes but i have been able to fit two mtn bikes in there with the front wheels off the bikes. theres a system to it, once u figure it out ur good to go. dont need no bike rack

but it sure would be easier with an open bed.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by NYChopshop
booooo! don't bob the 1st gen... do a 2nd gen! 1st gens are getting harder and harder to come by, and you can remove the back anyway! Get a second gen! Chop off the back, weld the rear of the 'runner roof right on, install power rear window (score!), and a bobbed pickup bed. I think that's just about the coolest major hacking of bodywork you can do for a 'runner. Then again, opinions are worth just about what you pay for them...
i would love to chop a second gen but good ones are too hard to come by. i have wanted a second gen but unless theres some one that has a second gen 22re 5speed not red to trade me for mine then its gonna be a while before i get one.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 PM

do it itd be sick bro

Quick Reply: chop up the 4runner? or not?