86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Carbon fiber hood with scoop for 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocket
Heres the scoop im probably using once i get some body work done and have the Runner painted.
IMO, that scoop is too small for the hood.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm...thats crossed my mind. It does look a little bigger in real life but thanks for the comment. I'll see what else i can find.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
Heres the scoop im probably using once i get some body work done and have the Runner painted.
Yeah, it looks small to me as well, probally too small to offer any practical application other than aesthetic, unless the guy's plumbed his intake to it instead of out the front.

It is also probally worth noting that the 3rd. and 4th. gens.' scoops are somewhat w-i-d-e-r than the one pictured.

Bigger is always better, no matter what others may say.

Last edited by 94x4; 07-09-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 94x4
I'm not trying to "flame" you or anything and encourage you to not be "hesitant" about offering advice to other's about whatever 'misconceptions that they may have, just do so with a bit less prejudice would probally be a good judgement call.
Understood, but I don't see where I was ever prejudice. I offered some facts and an opinion. That was all. You stated my facts were wrong and tried to claim things that defy reasoning. I corrected you and you have been going off ever since. I'm sorry I wasted your time trying to help you with your misunderstandings. :pat:
Old 07-11-2005, 06:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4RocRunner92
4. A hood is pretty heavy. If I got a carbon fiber one, which I would get for weight reduction, I would get one with a scoop (because I think it would look cool. Yes this is my opinion and im entitled to it like stated before in the thread.)
I love the look of a good scoop on the 4Runners also. I am planning on making mine from fiberglass or metal and use my existing hood, though. The only thing I don't like is the checker pattern of carbon fiber. It will probably never appeal to me, but that's what makes us all unique. I still don't buy that you will get much noticeable weight reduction from switching over. That hood can't weigh but 30-40 lbs. as is, so at most you will only get a 20-30lbs. weight reduction... but I could be off on my numbers a bit. When I was racing SCCA, the guys that would race Miata's (some of the lightest out there) still worried about putting just enough fuel in for their run before worrying about carbon fiber anything. This was after they had the whole car stripped down to almost nothing. All I am saying, is even with those guys who are probably the most serious about weight reduction didn't worry about the hood. So don't let that be a deciding factor. Get the carbon fiber because you like the looks or just get a regular scoop.

Originally Posted by 4RocRunner92
I'm glad a lot of information about how an engine is cooled was revealed in this. Yes TRunner I am ignorant to a lot of things about how an engine works. So what though? Thats why I ask this stuff like I said before. So I an get proper maintenance without disrupting the function of something else under the hood. (Like what happened with my air induction.) I mean no harm by anything I say. Everyone is being honest so I might as well be too. The fact that reading something and not verbally hearing it can lead to a lot of misconceptions of how to take the remark or comment. I greatly appreciate both of your opinions and your support 94x4

I hope you guys can throw me some more information in later problems I may have or questions I might need. Yes, there is a gawdly amount on knowledge about Toyota's on this site. I'm glad I found it.
Take what people say in here as advise, not criticism. I was very backwards in many comprehensions of things as well, until other corrected me. No hard feelings. It just gets aggravating when someone starts hounding me like 94x4 did when I offer advice. I was never trying to discourage you from doing it, just letting you know that I didn't like the carbon fiber look and that some rationalizing about what to expect from a hood scoop was on the wrong path. I would hate to see someone get any mod for their truck for a reason that doesn't stand true as I don't think anyone in here enjoys throwing away money. But if anyone in here does... GIVE ME A SHOUT!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:26 AM

This thread reminds me of the “speed holes” Homer Simpson put into his car.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Banned

I still make that suggestion to folks now and then... LOL
Old 08-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Banned

Found a must have for any carbon fiber enhancements:

CLICKY
Old 08-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

Bwaaaahaaaaaaaahaaahahahaha!!!!!
Gotta gits me wonna dem!!..........Ha!!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
3rd and 4th Gen 4Runners both were available with and without scoops. Not sure if any of them are functional though.
I can say with utmost certainty that USDM 3rd gens never had functional scoops. I am pretty sure the same goes for 4th gens. Only a handful of peeps ever made them actually "open" and I have no idea about their real world results, if any.

I can tell you this, if I had a functional scoop on my rig right now, it would be completely pointless thanks to my bug shield.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:44 PM

your money your truck. if you do it post it them show the damn world that jason is different. a litte nc love
Old 08-12-2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
Reducing under hood temp is always a good thing contrary to some comments here.

-Most electrical components live longer in a cooler environment.

-The intake air could potentially be cooler since the scoop would have a chimney effect on evaculating hot air.

-Yes it's a watercoolered engine. Ironically, the thing that keeps the radiator cool is a FAN! A FAN moves air. Moving cooler air across the radiator will increase the cooling efficiency and the cooling system will not have to work as hard.
I agree with this. As an addition, though, I'd be willing to say there may be a way to plumb the scoop to the airbox with enough money and creativity. However, it more than likely wouldn't be worth it over cutting the bottom out of the box:

Old 08-12-2005, 01:50 PM

No sarcasm or anything intended Churnd, but why on earth did you cut the entire bottom of your air box out??
Old 08-12-2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by 94x4
No sarcasm or anything intended Churnd, but why on earth did you cut the entire bottom of your air box out??
Poor man's FIPK. I ran it for 3 years with zero problems. Read my writeups before trying it though.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:10 AM

Check on the "3 years with zero problems", but surely you realize that there's a reason why all manufacturers plumb the air intakes to the outside of the engine compartment, i.e., cooler, fresh air?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:38 AM

But also less... so it's like a trade-off. Most of the time you're getting more air that's cooler too since you're moving. The only time it hurts is when you sitting there idling in stop and go traffic. No different than the $200 FIPK kit K&N sells.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:57 AM

O'kay, but I'd still try to plumb the bottom of your air filter box to the outsuide somehow just to get it away from sucking in the heated engine compartment air.
Also, for what it's worth, all I did was the ISR mod with the straight intake tube.

Last edited by 94x4; 08-13-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:58 PM

I wanted to, but couldn't find an acceptable place to route any kinda plumbing. It would have had to come from the front, and that wouldn't have worked unless I cut through the wheelwell fender. That would have been too succeptable to damage, so I scratched the idea. I wanted as much air as possible, and I didn't think I'd be able to route the size plumbing I wanted without having to do serious fab work.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:51 PM

How about ducting it to the lower valance under the bumper?

There is something like a grill structure down there that you could easily mount a funnel behind as the intake.

Last edited by 94x4; 08-13-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Travs97
your money your truck. if you do it post it them show the damn world that jason is different. a litte nc love
hell yeah jason. no reason to explain why youre putting a mod on your truck. its like some people jumped all over it cuz they think its stupid.

theres lots of mods people do that really dont make sense and some others think theyre stupid. let everyone do what they want to their rig. cuz in the end, whos paying for it? if you dont like it, dont do it to your tuck. enough said. put the lid on this can of worms, and go get you a hood with a scoop that you like, and ill help you put it on bro.

north cacalaky up on yotatech ya heard.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber hood with scoop for 2nd gen